Thread: Leak repair product

Default Leak repair product

I saw a post with a leak repair product on this forum, I think, last winter. It's a sticky grease-like product that comes in a jar and you just press it around the leak and keep pushing it over the leak until it stops it. There was a video on the post for this product that was pretty interesting.

I don't remember the name of the product. Do you?

jim

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think i started the original post?? The stuff looks very similar to the wax ring used to seal/seat toilets on, i'd think it is good for cracks or small leaks but i don't think it would be much good if you blew out a thru hull, the water pressure would force it out unless you had something like a piece of plywood and a brace to put over it. That "splash zone" 2 part putty sticks well and dries/cures under water.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Dunno if it's a useful insight for you, but the owner of a boat I was on had put together a flooding kit, actually a duffel. In it he had a set of wooden cones, all labeled. He had turned them on a lathe for a tapered fit in every one of his through-hull fittings. The idea was that if he lost a fitting, he could drive the cone into the hole. I guess it's pretty common on larger craft, though this is the first I'd seen for a fishing boat here in AK.

Spoiled One: that's the stuff! Everyone else, thanks for the help.

I found a pipe plug, it's a blow up thick rubber that turns into a ball when inflated, I think I could plug a hole as small as a coffee cup to about 12 to 14" type should form to any size / shape hole I'd make?

Well I thought hay lets do a test, so when I hit a rock the 14th it didn't work out, as I couldn't get to the spot fast enough, behind cabinets & fridge.
    LOL but I did make it to a beach before it took on enough water to sink!
    I am adding Duct Seal a thick sticky stuff that don't care if it's underwater, I could of stuffed enough up the crack to lessin the water coming in.
    There are some other products that glue underwater but takes time to dry, the incoming tide didn't give me that option. Hence duct seal.

I have to thank the 2 boats that tied me cleat to cleat on each side and we headed back into Whittier from Shotgun Cove. I hope the bow picker from Girdwood calls me because I have your hand pump and dinner.

All turned out good because I was well prepaired to do what it took to save us & the boat!

Alaskapiranha, care to share the details of the compromised hull? Did you find a new rock? Glad you made it back safe.

Well sure, rock was not showing on GPS Map, think my scale was a small enough area to show, had just passed one that did maybe 1/2 mile past Shotgun & bingo. Hard over @ 4mph and bingo hit it, in hind sight should of hit head on, bow is thicker, and I could of kept bow up under power and trimmed up ? I'll go back next year and see if it shows or I missed it on map.

Yikes! Bet you are glad you weren't on step. Sure seems like there were a lot of groundings this season.