Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Hunting Death

Unhappy Another Hunting Death

Sad doesn't begin to describe these events. http://www.adn.com/2012/09/05/261259...ly-killed.html

Gotta always remember the Golden Rules:

The 12 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling

1. Always treat the gun as loaded.
    2. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    3. Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    4. Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
    5. Never point the gun at anything you don't intend to destroy.
    6. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
    7. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
    8. Always use proper ammunition.
    9. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
    10. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
    11. Don't rely on the gun's safety to keep it from firing.
    12. Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don't trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.

This is very sad for the familys and for us fellow hunters. What a shame to take your wife hunting, share with her your love of the outdoors and then have a tragic accident.

It will be interesting to see if this truly was an "accident"....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

So Sad, condolences to the family.......

Sad that things like this happen. Condolences go out to the families.

I just hope this guy doesn't say he thought she was a LEGAL moose......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This really sucks! That is two in a couple days, what is going on? I wonder if there is more pressure to harvest and animal that common sense is going to the wayside?
    The families will have some hard times coming up. Sure wish them the best of luck in dealing with a bad situation.

I have to disagree with the "12 step plan". You only need 4:

All guns are always loaded.
    Do not let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire.
    Be sure of your target, its surroundings, and beyond.

Four rules that are as easy to remember as they are to follow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I am again saddened by such a tragedy. Praying for grace and peace for everyone.

As for safety rules, if the muzzle is pointed safely/under control nothing else really matters..........Its the golden rule of firearm safety.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I agree that there are some gun safety rules that are more important than others, but surely all you guys can agree that all of those 12 rules are important.

Use the right ammo? I mean what's going to happen when I put a .30-06 round in my .300 win mag? Not something I want to find out, that's for sure.

Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using? Must be important to know how your gun works...

Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting. You don't want anything in your barrel before you shoot. Who puts tape or a rubber over the muzzle when out hunting so dirt, leaves, snow, rain, etc doesn't end up down your barrel???

And then there is always weird stuff that can happen that you don't expect....Like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRs--OpHQVY

Everyone should remember that their firearms were made by MURPHY and as such should obey the firearm safety rules or MURPHY's Law will catch up sooner or later. Also remember that firearm safetys are mechanical devices that can and will fail, use your brain as a safety and teach it basic safety procedures. This will help avoid tragic firearm accidents.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to fire.

+1 to this.

To the OP. Remembering the golden rules is often not enough.

I've seen guns go off with when taken off safety. (a situation that is not isolated to those remingtons). So there can be more things going on than solved with your #3. Fortunately, they followed rule #2 and no one was injured and our equipment survived without catastrophic damage.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

I'd suggest another one.
    #5. Don't move in front of the barrel of a gun. The gun bearer may not be able to sweep it out of the way fast enough.

How about some advice for those that are downrange?
    Avoid being downrange. Avoid doing things that puts you down range. Examples:
    Don't dress to resemble a game animal. Kind of scary thinking about the guy wearing camo packing out his trophy with the horns poking above the brush/grass.
    Don't stand behind those decoys. The person behind that gun that is pointing at you may not realize you're there.
    Be careful when calling. Another hunter might get excited, start glassing the area with their rifle and shoot at first movement. Not saying they should behave in this manner ... but there are plenty of threads where a person sees a bear from the road ... goes off to pursue it in their camo gear, and then get angry that someone else is glassing in this area with their rifle scope, perhaps because they saw a bear.

We took hunter safety in grade school. The teacher showed a really good film that was a dramatization about a boy who accidently shot his hunting partner. That movie really stuck with me. I was hoping to find something like that to show my sons to supplement the safety training I'm giving them. I went to all the sporting goods stores in Fairbanks and couldn't find a single firearm safety video for sale. Why is that?....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    We took hunter safety in grade school. The teacher showed a really good film that was a dramatization about a boy who accidently shot his hunting partner. That movie really stuck with me. I was hoping to find something like that to show my sons to supplement the safety training I'm giving them. I went to all the sporting goods stores in Fairbanks and couldn't find a single firearm safety video for sale. Why is that?....Louis
    Hear, Hear,....I'm in for one of these, if it's out there anywhere

I remember seeing something in Colorado, taking their Hunter Safety course we watched a pretty good video

Where's the video made for Alaska ?? Someone must have made something like it?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    The video is called The Last Shot
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks. I looked it up online and looks like it's available here: http://alanmadison.com/ .....Louis
    Louis Knapp

Thanks you guys,...that looks pretty good, I want it for sure

Really cool, that they are only asking $59 for a 14 minute video, eh?
    Guess it must be a prettygood production.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Was flipping channels a while back and saw a show called. "A Hunter's Life" The show I happened to catch was this one. Fast forward to about 14mins.
    http://outfitterrating.com/tv_a_hunters_life.php?id=4
    Good video reminder....

Man Oh Man, Hekin,....that video about took my breath away,...

thought it was real, except for the fact the camerman was still filming,.....what a nightmare drama,...good job on that link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast