Thread: Remington Spartan Double Rifles $516.00

Question Remington Spartan Double Rifles $516.00

I found this company selling the SPR22 Double Rifle in 30-06 and 45-70
    Here is the link: http://www.guns4ever.com/catalog.php...oduct&id=61893

This is the first actual offering I have found in the USA. Anyone found these rifles anywhere else cheaper? I'm wanting one in each caliber. I've never done business on the www.guns4ever.com nor have I heard of them. I've bought several guns via internet, but I'm always conservitive of ordering without talking to someone unless I know of the site.
    If anyone knows a better way of getting these guns, please post it.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If'n it was me I'd call and ask if they actually had them in stock. I looked at their website and the pictures of the firearms are nothing more than cleaned up pictures off of distributor websites.

I talked to Remington last month. They said maybe by the end of the year they would have them in stock. Import problems.

Yeah, these things have been floating around in press for a long time now, but I don't know of anyone- gun scribbler or commoner- who has ever had one in their hands. I'm definitely interested, but I'm gonna wait till I can hold one in my hands and determine why it costs so little.

Cool Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod

Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod is the long standing arms plant in Russia.

These double and combo guns are also known by the trade name Baikal. Generalllly - these guns sold for much less than msrp. even when brought in by importer, European American Armory.

Double and combo guns are popular in Europe - but not here, except for the Savage combos... that's about it in this price range.

These are no frills, mass produced firearms made by government employees where part of their benefit package is to live on-site... workin' folks guns that work very admirably without all the aesthetics.

I'd go ahead and get one (or two) - I would not pay $500 + for the one with Remington Spartan stamped on it. Look for a Baikal (IZH-94) get the same gun and save $$$$.

Something you should know ---
    The IZH-94 is unusual compared to customary double rifles. It has a distinctive barrel system design. The top barrel is fixed but the lower barrel is somewhat free-floating. There is an adjustment screw at approximately mid-barrel. Turning the screw regulates a bit of vertical fine-tuning. Total vertical regulation and free-float is only partial because a fitting from the muzzle of the top barrel is joining the bottom muzzle. It is not quite precision enough for tuning centering identical POI of both barrels, but close enough for POA to a POI at shorter distances.

Also don’t anticipate tiny groups or bench-rest accuracy. Doubles do best at 100 yards and in. Some may disagree on this --- but those that would are only shooting consistently POA and POI on one of two Barrels (likely top bbl.)… therefore they are shooting accuracy for one bbl. while hoping to be close w/ the other.

Brian Richardson
    http://www.northernrim.com

According to the Remington site and pics, both the 45-70 and 06 are SxS rather than OU. Don't know what that will mean in terms of barrel regulation, but judging by the lines in the photo and the short action, I suspect it will be really fast handling for close work. You can read what's available from Remington on this page at their site. A little more detail is available on their specification page.

Default Spartan SxS doubles and "Regulation"

The Spartan SxS has windage and elevation adjustment for one barrel. FIrst the "fixed" barrel and adjust the second "floating" barrel to point of impact.

One of the Big Boys of double rifles.. Blaser has a dual floating barrel system for their safari rifles in 500/416, 470 and 500 Nitro Express.

Regulation: Same meaning as "well regulated" in the Second Amendment. IT is well "trained" or "proficient". Double rifles are trained to hit point of impact at 50 or 100 yards with converging barrels.... beyond those distances the bullets cross. It is a mix of the right bullet, the right powder, the right primer to make this happen. In the old days it was Cordite. This is painstaking gunsmithing to have the barrels soldered together that can pull this off. That is way a "cheap" double costs $9000 these days and the old rifles like Holland and Holland go for $50000 while the new H&H's cost wellover $50000.

The present powder of choice is RL15 with dacron to fill the empty remaining volume of the case. Modern doubles like 4350 up to RL22 powder. My double will lay softs and solids on each other at 50 yards with RL 19 and 22... less than 2" inch group. Not a tack driver, but easily "minute of Buffalo" and the one-two punch to stop an elephant.

I want to get teh Spartan in 45/70. That should be fun... criude... but fun. Think of it as a great moose and bear gun...at close range.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBob
    The Spartan SxS has windage and elevation adjustment for one barrel. FIrst the "fixed" barrel and adjust the second "floating" barrel to point of impact.

One of the Big Boys of double rifles.. Blaser has a dual floating barrel system for their safari rifles in 500/416, 470 and 500 Nitro Express.

Regulation: Same meaning as "well regulated" in the Second Amendment. IT is well "trained" or "proficient". Double rifles are trained to hit point of impact at 50 or 100 yards with converging barrels.... beyond those distances the bullets cross. It is a mix of the right bullet, the right powder, the right primer to make this happen. In the old days it was Cordite. This is painstaking gunsmithing to have the barrels soldered together that can pull this off. That is way a "cheap" double costs $9000 these days and the old rifles like Holland and Holland go for $50000 while the new H&H's cost wellover $50000.

The present powder of choice is RL15 with dacron to fill the empty remaining volume of the case. Modern doubles like 4350 up to RL22 powder. My double will lay softs and solids on each other at 50 yards with RL 19 and 22... less than 2" inch group. Not a tack driver, but easily "minute of Buffalo" and the one-two punch to stop an elephant.

I want to get teh Spartan in 45/70. That should be fun... criude... but fun. Think of it as a great moose and bear gun...at close range.
    All this talk of doubles and Cordite and elephants is giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside! =^)

Dave

Interesting reading on this thread about the SPR22 SXS, are these still available from Remington or are they not importing them anylonger, any updates? thanks

Thumbs down Remington SPR SxS Double Rifles

Remington is not doing them anymore.

I had the 45-70 and the 30-06 for a few years

ran out and bought them and they just did not impress me. they are heavy, not very accurate and just overall in appearance and performance $ucked.

I thought it would be a great base rifle to modify as I wanted to have the -06 bored out to a 35 Whelen, but no gunsmith wanted anything to do with that and I wanted to re-chamber the 45-70 to a 45 cal mag of some nature, but again the gunsmith told me just to save time and tie a 1/4 stick of dynamite to my face and light the fuse. I got the message he was telling me so I took my SPR22's and introduced them on www.GunsAmerica.com I never regreted dumping those guns, but I could only think that they could make a double rifle in a real double rifle caliber if they wanted to and sell them under 1,000.00 They just don't want to.

I learned a lesson though, Double rifles are not about accuracy, they are about close quarters last ditch saving your bacon against an animal that wants to squish you, horn you or eat you. I'll leave the double rifles to Africa.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8 View Post
    I learned a lesson though, Double rifles are not about accuracy, they are about close quarters last ditch saving your bacon against an animal that wants to squish you, horn you or eat you. I'll leave the double rifles to Africa.
    Ya, but the English doubles are just too sexy!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Now if Ruger manufactured Double rifles in calibers .375 and .416 Ruger I would say that would be way too cool, especially if they made them in stainless with some nice walnut. What ya'all think of that? heck, I would buy one, and if they made them affordable, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8 View Post
    Remington is not doing them anymore.

I had the 45-70 and the 30-06 for a few years

ran out and bought them and they just did not impress me. they are heavy, not very accurate and just overall in appearance and performance $ucked.

I thought it would be a great base rifle to modify as I wanted to have the -06 bored out to a 35 Whelen, but no gunsmith wanted anything to do with that and I wanted to re-chamber the 45-70 to a 45 cal mag of some nature, but again the gunsmith told me just to save time and tie a 1/4 stick of dynamite to my face and light the fuse. I got the message he was telling me so I took my SPR22's and introduced them on www.GunsAmerica.com I never regreted dumping those guns, but I could only think that they could make a double rifle in a real double rifle caliber if they wanted to and sell them under 1,000.00 They just don't want to.

Might want to take a look at some of the targets posted in this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=65857

If Ruger made then they would be pulled from the shelfs in a month just like their Gold Label we waited years for.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Now if Ruger manufactured Double rifles in calibers .375 and .416 Ruger I would say that would be way too cool, especially if they made them in stainless with some nice walnut. What ya'all think of that? heck, I would buy one, and if they made them affordable, even better.
    Interesting enough, they were close. Remember that the first Red Label O/U shotgun was in 20 gauge, and it took forever to get a 12?

That's because Bill worked for many years on the design for an O/U 375 H&H on that frame, but ultimately decided that there just wasn't a market for it. To recoup all the development costs he finally strapped the 20 gauge barrels on the same frame, and a new model was born. Way back in the 70's when that was done, a few enterprising souls actually made their own 375 barrels to use on the frame.

Close, but no cigar.