Thread: my first birds on the wing!!!!!!

Default my first birds on the wing!!!!!!

hey guys! two weeks ago i was able to bag my first birds on the wing!

I was out on a caribou hunt in GMU 13. We had a late start to our trip do to some mechanical problems with our off road rigs, so we didnt make it to our hunting area before dark the first day. So we pitched a tent and crashed about half way there... There was three of us on the hunt. hopefully some of you can relate to this but im one of those people that when im hunting in great country, it is impossible for me to sleep once it starts to get light out! I guess i just get so excited that i have to get up and look around! So as soon as light started hitting the tent i crawled out of my sleeping bag and walked outside. I grabbed my .06 and the binos and stared glassing, looking for caribou. I was tired yet excited and as i was glassing i fell asleep for a good half an hour!haha I woke up to the distinct sound of ptarmagin clucking! er er er er errrrrrrrrererrrr! Thats what i heard! I looked in front of me and saw about 3 ptarmagin sitting right next to where the willows start to get thicker! The closer i looked, the more i saw and heard! I quietly stood up and sneaked over to the tent and grabbed my ithica modle 37 12ga shotgun. this gun was passed down to me by my now deceased father. I have never shot anything with this gun. I quickly unloaded the slugs that were in it in case of bear troubles. Then i grabbed the 10 birdshot shells i had brought in case of ptarmagin encounter, and loaded 3 of them. Now i was ready! I sneaked over to where the ptarmagin were...

Just as i got there they were slowly walking into the thicker willows. I took a few steps forward... And a group of 6 flushed! I took the saftey off and BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! I dropped 3 of the 6 (while they were flying!!). After that first flush i quickly reloaded, knowing there were more to come! I slowly walked forward about 7ft and another even larger group of 8 or 9 flushed! BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!! I dropped another 3 ptarmies!!! By now i was high on the moment, and reloaded again. I took one step forward and a group of 4 flushed, but they were at least 50yards away.... BOOM,BOOM,BOOM... but no birds dropped... Now i only had 1 more shell left and i loaded it. I walked over to retreive the birds i had already killed and ANOTHER group flushed! i was un-prepared for this many birds! I fumbled with my gun but just in the nick of time i cocked my shell in and dropped my last bird with my last shell!! Talk aboiut making you last shot count!! Now i was out of shells. I attempted to retreive my birds but it was difficult with the groups of 5-6 flushing literaly every 4 steps i took!! Eventually i retreived my birds! and i was soo happy!
    not only had i killed my first bird on the wing, but had done it with my fathers shot gun!!
    my guess is that i had encountered at least 50 ptarmagin!! IMG_0555.jpgIMG_0561.jpg
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Default more pics

“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

IMG_0542.jpg0.jpeg

^this is a pic of the sun rise that beautiful morning!

Very cool! I'm so jelous! I like your posts Joe, i'm sure your father would be very proud!

Joe,

Congratulations, young man! Now the upland journey really begins. You have a fine upland shooting life ahead of you. I know your Dad is as proud of you as we are here on this forum. If he were out there standing beside you he'd probably pat you on the back, congratulate you, and maybe point out the futility of taking those last way-too-far shots and saving your shells to hunt them up again. But you'll learn. And that Ithaca is a very nice gun, a classic, a game gun to make a fellow proud to carry. Now if I could just arrange to get you out to hunt over my Brittany pointing dogs your life would really change...for the better!

Congratulations!

Jim

Sweet story and nice job!! The excitement was felt in the words you wrote.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Joe,
    That is awesome man! I am very envious of you right now, great story with a great number of birds to go with it. I know what your talking about with not being able to sleep when it starts to get light, but you gotta be up before the sun and be ready. Since you used your fathers shotgun makes it special, I know its one hunt you most likely will never forget. I hope that one day you can pass that same shotgun down to your future children so they can enjoy it the same way you did.

Awesome job joe! Great story and pics!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Great story Joefish and congratulations on taking a great game bird. It's also great that you took the time to notice the sunrise. This is a beautiful time of year.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Congratulations! Great job with a classic gun. Very nice write up as well, thanks for sharing.

great written account joe, thanks for posting it. there is nothing like the cluck of ptarmigan to get my heart going, and it's great to hear your enthusiasm for that crisp early daylight. do you keep a journal when you're out hunting? it is great to be able to read back and recount previous hunts... lessons learned, descriptions of the landscape where you were hunting, where you found various animals and where they were moving or holding when the winds and weather were doing certain things, gear performance, etc. Those details are lost over the years even though they feel so vivid now. I will often collect the tail feathers of various ptarmigan and use them for various crafts. Such neat animals.

That is all I have to add, agree with everything else posted here, thank you for sharing and congratulations. take care of that gun and it will take care of you. prowling for 3-toed footprints in the mountain snow is going to be upon us soon!

thanks everyone! well i guess i have to add bird hunting to my already stacked list of outdoor obsesions!!

Well, there are certainly worse things you could do with your time young man! :-)

Enjoy the adventure!

Jim

Default my first birds on the wing!!!!!!

Love it! Great write up!