Thread: Tri Pod suggestions

Default Tri Pod suggestions

Good Morning Fellas and Ladies,

Im looking for imput on a tripod for sheep hunts or in general something light weight but not a budget breaker! I also wondering on head type for the scope mount and plus or minus you have came accross? I am leaning towards a ball style head let me know what you guys think the Best Bang for buck is.

I went through a number of tripods before I got a Gitzo this year (which doesn't meet your budget as stated above). First one I had was a Nikon tripod. Really like Nikon optics, but their tripod isn't very good. Not very heavy though and pretty cheap. Under 40 bucks, can be found locally. http://www.amazon.com/NIKON-TRIPOD-C...compact+tripod

Next up in price that I was somewhat happy with was a Cullman, can't remember the model, but I got it at Barney's. Less than $100, but I can't remember exactly how much. It is a little heavier than the Nikon, but much better. The thing I really like about it is you can spread the legs out to where the tripod is almost flat on the ground. Really nice for sheep hunting when you might be really low the ground while trying to peek over some rock or ridge. It was really stable in this configuration too. A bit on the heavy side, maybe 2 lbs or so? If you really like this one, and if I can find it when I get home on Monday, I'd sell you mine for $50. http://barneyssports.com/optics/tripods.html

I also bought one at REI, meant for cameras. It only weighed a few ounces. If everything was perfect and there was no wind...and you had a really stable place to rest it...and you didn't need it to be very high, you could use it for a spotter. http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraPod.../dp/B000ANCPNM

thanks for the info I might be interested in the Cullman what didnt you like about it??

Save up and get the Gitzo. The one that I like the most for sheep hunting is the 00 series GT-531. It is short but I have not been in a situation were I have to stand up to view vs sitting. sitting is much more comfortable for the long hours behind the scope anyway. Then put a manfrotto micro ball 492 head and you have a 19 oz tripod that I love. I have had Silk which is good but heavy, Manfrotto tripod which is very good but a little heavy, and some real cheap tripods which I wish I would have just saved my money on. I got luck and found the Gitzo on amazon as a demo tripod and got it 50% off. Since sheep is about over you prob won't need it until next year so keep looking for a good deal and save your money you will be happy you did with any Gitzo.

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    thanks for the info I might be interested in the Cullman what didnt you like about it??

As is pointed out in post #4....I saved up and got a Gitzo. I think the model I bought weighs something like 0.8 lbs. The Cullman is a good tripod, but it weighs something like 2 lbs. The nice thing is that it is a pretty stable platform for good sized spotters (I had a 65mm on it). The spotter becomes almost useless if it isn't steady. Wind and other sources of movement make it impossible to see through.

The only drawback with my new tripod (besides price) is it isn't nearly as high, but I didn't use it at height very often. Usually I would be lying flat on my stomach when using the spotter.

I just bought a cullman 220 from barney's for my sheep hunt this year and it was awesome. The first day I got it I cut the bottom legs off, the handle in half and all the foam off the legs. I shaved 8 oz off it in about 10 minutes of work. I had no problem using 60 power with my spotting scope, it was rock solid. As for Base and rings DNZ is bullet proof and light as can be.