Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: New to big game hunting and don't have a 4-wheeler, seeking advice

  1. #1

    Default New to big game hunting and don't have a 4-wheeler, seeking advice

    I live in Fairbanks. I've been hunting moose mostly in 20B but am open to suggestions.

    I've begun moose hunting this year and so far have only seen a cow and calf on the drive home. I'm having trouble finding areas that aren't overrun by four wheelers. I spent Monday sitting on the edge of a meadow behind Ski Land and didn't see a thing in the meadow or on the hillsides above. Sunday I drove out to the bridge at the bottom of Standard Creek road only to find the road after the bridge soft and impassible by truck. Then went out to logging roads off Parks, where I'd seen moose before, and nothing.

    I've read that moose can be migratory, are the ones around Fairbanks migratory? I'm currently looking in the valleys and glassing hill tops but am not seeing anything. Given that I've seen nothing, I'm assuming I am in the "wrong" spots or am employing the wrong strategies.

    I don't have a four wheeler and am hiking in to glass, I'm not afraid to do the work, but understand my own limitations. I'm 140 lb. woman and anything more than a few miles back would be very difficult for me to pack out.


    Any advice or suggestions you have would be helpful, feel free to pm me as well. Alternativley, I'm willing to learn so if anyone needs someone to help pack out meat but is willing to teach them the ropes let me know. My calling could use some work still and the only gutting large game experience I have is watching the ADF&G video many times (I"ve gutted fowl before).


    Thanks in Advance!

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    being a new member you can not receive pm... and i am hesitant to post information aobut WHERE you could start looking on the open forum....

    i am also in Fairbanks / NO PO... and a business owner in town... if you like you may swing by the shop 405 college road... ak Monitoring and drug testing... and give some contact information to my missus.. and i would be willing to share some data with you... or my email is

    Vince at alaska dot net...

    i have many years experiance up here as do many of our members whom i am sure will chime in.. sounds like you doing things on your own and learning the areas.. moose are often as not just where you find them.. though this time of year should be spent on the early and latest parts of the day... unless the WX is reall crappy they are down most the day.. espessally with the nice moon light we have had the last week..

    the good thing is most of 20B is any bull...

    also do you bow hunt? are you bow certified?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm not bow certified, nor have I shot one since childhood. I'm trying to learn incrimentaly, first grouse and ptarmingan, which in turn you see moose, then practice my hunting/stalking with a rifle after, I've got a little experience doing that then trying archery.

  4. #4
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    IMO you dont need an ATV in 20B and while most of the people you see on ATV's are driving past tons of game while flying down the trails at 50 mph trying to get to their next "spot" . While I do take an ATV it is a tool primarily used getting a down animal. Other than that I use my feet and the 4 wheeler stays on the trailer. It has happened more than once where someone has driven right past an animal on a trail spooked it just out of site and I have come along on foot as MR. Moose is coming back across the trail. Moose are smart they know the sound of an ATV and will get off trail when they hear one coming wait a few minutes after one passed and he will come back out just have to be patient.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    IMO you dont need an ATV in 20B and while most of the people you see on ATV's are driving past tons of game while flying down the trails at 50 mph trying to get to their next "spot" . While I do take an ATV it is a tool primarily used getting a down animal. Other than that I use my feet and the 4 wheeler stays on the trailer. It has happened more than once where someone has driven right past an animal on a trail spooked it just out of site and I have come along on foot as MR. Moose is coming back across the trail. Moose are smart they know the sound of an ATV and will get off trail when they hear one coming wait a few minutes after one passed and he will come back out just have to be patient.

    Are you suggesting I stay near the trails? I was trying to get away from the wheelers and pre-established trails. Perhaps they're pre-established because they yield results...

  6. #6
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fzzlove View Post
    Are you suggesting I stay near the trails? I was trying to get away from the wheelers and pre-established trails. Perhaps they're pre-established because they yield results...
    You dont HAVE to stay near trails but the moose ARE there. Most people out on ATV's are too lazy to get off of them and as a result either go flying right past game or spooking them off.

  7. #7
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I only use an ATV occasionally and then only to get where I'm going to start hiking. You can hunt effectively without one so don't let it stop you.

    I'd also suggest that you look for good habitat first- meadows, swampy ground, shallow ponds and such that moose like and stake them out early and late. This time of year the middle of the day isn't so good. I watched several moose while caribou hunting last few weeks and they showed up in the same ponds, day after day but never after 7a and never before 9p.

    Also look for established game trails (which can also be a wheeler trail) leading from bedding areas to feeding habitat and possibly stake those out as well. If you can get high ground where you can see both- great.

    Moose are frequently frustrating early but don't give up.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    You dont HAVE to stay near trails but the moose ARE there. Most people out on ATV's are too lazy to get off of them and as a result either go flying right past game or spooking them off.
    Alright I'll try trail walking too then. Heck, that's a lot easier than what I've been doing.

  9. #9
    Member ArcticNorseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    118

    Default

    I've kinda been in the same boat, except I do have a wheeler. Hunted the 20B antlerless in the Bonanza creek area the past couple weeks, and although I didn't get a cow, I did find a spot I liked, so I set up a stand. It's a little over a mile from the parks, so one can walk to it. Given the current level of pressure in the area, moose will be on the move. If you'd want to go, let me know.

  10. #10
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    I've kinda been in the same boat, except I do have a wheeler. Hunted the 20B antlerless in the Bonanza creek area the past couple weeks, and although I didn't get a cow, I did find a spot I liked, so I set up a stand. It's a little over a mile from the parks, so one can walk to it. Given the current level of pressure in the area, moose will be on the move. If you'd want to go, let me know.
    you and me both! I didnt get a cow either but saw an honest 12 bulls in the 14 days I was out after a cow. Now Im after an ol' bull in the same area and guess who comes out THE COWS

  11. #11
    Member ArcticNorseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    118

    Default

    That's good to hear though . . . in a week or so, those same cows will be lookin' quite pretty to them bulls . . . lol.

  12. #12

    Default New to big game hunting and don't have a 4-wheeler, seeking advice

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    I've kinda been in the same boat, except I do have a wheeler. Hunted the 20B antlerless in the Bonanza creek area the past couple weeks, and although I didn't get a cow, I did find a spot I liked, so I set up a stand. It's a little over a mile from the parks, so one can walk to it. Given the current level of pressure in the area, moose will be on the move. If you'd want to go, let me know.
    Yeah I'd be interested in that, i can help pack out too. I'm available whenever, except Tuesday evenings. My email is fzzlove at yahoo dot com.

  13. #13

    Default New to big game hunting and don't have a 4-wheeler, seeking advice

    I went out on the 40 mile zone one caribou hunt and not having a wheeler made it dang near impossible.

    I'm glad to hear there are walking spots for moose.

  14. #14
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    receved your email.. will give a call after dinner, and give you some local tips...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Yo Vince what about me I want some tips so I can come up your way and hunt....

  16. #16
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Yo Vince what about me I want some tips so I can come up your way and hunt....
    tip 1.... never go anywhere with out a coat Bear...

    tip 2... bring rain gear... looks like rain...

    tip 3....welll... i cant post it here.. its rather pointed...

    being ex guide... i bet you already know how to hunt a moose
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    LOL thanks Vince.. All the best to you and good for you helpin out someone new to the sport it truely is a good thing that we can give back. I was out last ween with a couple of new hunters and really enjoyed it.. Oh and not and EX tried to stay away by but got drug back in just not like the old days.. I will be seein you before too long though for a cup,,
    dave

  18. #18

    Default

    Standard Creek Rd. I am headed to Fairbanks in a few days, was considering Standard Crk Rd as one spot to walk out on. So is the rain turned it into a mud bog. where is the bridge(goldstream crk) you can drive to where it turned soft muddy? the one just before the ak rr trcks? or beyond that.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glacierbear View Post
    Standard Creek Rd. I am headed to Fairbanks in a few days, was considering Standard Crk Rd as one spot to walk out on. So is the rain turned it into a mud bog. where is the bridge(goldstream crk) you can drive to where it turned soft muddy? the one just before the ak rr trcks? or beyond that.

    It's muddy between the bridge and the railroad road tracks, that 1/2 mile stretch or so was pretty rough. That was last weekend though so maybe it dried up enough to pass by now. It was also pretty rutty, so if you have lower clearance it might be difficult to navigate.

  20. #20

    Default

    Thanks all who replied, you've given good tips and insight. I'll be out there this weekend to see what I can see. I've got some time off work to go next Thur-Sun too if this weekend doesn't pan out.

    Thanks again All!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •