Thread: Car sick Weimaraner

Default Car sick Weimaraner

My Weim is about a year and a half old and I cant get her to calm down while on road trips. She is in the back seat of the truck with the family, with a seat flipped up on her dog bed. She pants and drools the entire 2 hour ride to the cabin, does fine riding in town. Any suggestions, also doesnt do well in the kennel.

Default Car sick Weimaraner

I've got small dogs, but one of them has anxiety issues and we got an anti-anxiety pill from the vet for road trips and other times of high anxiety. It seems to work well; you may have to experiment on dosage though. It isn't xanax, but I hear they give that to dogs too.

At least a half hour prior to starting the car ride, give the dog Dramamine at a dosage of 2-4mg per pound of body weight. The tablets come in 50mg strength, but there is also a 25mg children version.

Basically, 1 tablet is good for dogs up to 25 pounds. Use 2 tablets for adult dogs from 25 to 50 pounds. Use 3 tablets for adult dogs from 50 to 75 pounds. And use 4 tablets for adult dogs from 75 to 100 pounds. These dosages are generally low end and can be increased by as much as double if it isn't doing the trick at 2mg/pound.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    At least a half hour prior to starting the car ride, give the dog Dramamine at a dosage of 2-4mg per pound of body weight. The tablets come in 50mg strength, but there is also a 25mg children version.

Basically, 1 tablet is good for dogs up to 25 pounds. Use 2 tablets for adult dogs from 25 to 50 pounds. Use 3 tablets for adult dogs from 50 to 75 pounds. And use 4 tablets for adult dogs from 75 to 100 pounds. These dosages are generally low end and can be increased by as much as double if it isn't doing the trick at 2mg/pound.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try next trip.

Benadryl, like any antihistamine, also works for motion sickness in dogs and people. And it's cheaper than dramamine. Also quite sedating -- not clear if your dog is upset from motion sickness or if she's just anxious. 25 mg is standard dose but a big (100+ lb) dog might need 50. It wears off a bit faster than dramamine, which could be good if you are working the dog when you get to your destination.

Tried the Benadryl and the Dramamine both didnt work, I think Ill talk to the vet when I take her in since it seems to be an anxiety issue opposed to car sickness.