Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hope it don't rain, i have sitka gear

Default hope it don't rain, i have sitka gear

Well my second pair of storm front sitka gear rainpants is now basicly just a barrier against...well shoot, bugs i guess. they sure don't hold back water anymore...strike two for sitka. anyone else having the same results with their storm front.
    comfy pants for sure, just the not keeping water out thing is kinda big for me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have a buddy that needs to sell his KUIU rainpants size M. I have KUIU and you won't be sorry. Keeps rain and bugs out...

Jake are they the new storm front or the storm front light? Just curious cause I got the new storm fronts, doesn't really matter that much since I have to send my pants in for repair because I tore the pants their first time out on a goat hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Well my second pair of storm front sitka gear rainpants is now basicly just a barrier against...well shoot, bugs i guess. they sure don't hold back water anymore...strike two for sitka. anyone else having the same results with their storm front.
    comfy pants for sure, just the not keeping water out thing is kinda big for me.

I have the old Storm Front Lites and never had a problem. I may not use and abuse them as hard as you do though?

I wore through my Kuiu rain pant. My Sitka Stormfront jacket is good but ive repaired it alot. It just doesn't withstand much wear and tear. Those light fabric layers are very difficult to make durable for prolonged and repeated mountain hunting.

That is a lot of $$ to spend for some rain gear that lasts a trip or two. Got myself a sherpa jacket and some mountain hardwear rain pants. I think a total of around $100. I would rather replace those every couple of years than $600 of sitka gear.

got a deal on the sitka , figured i'd try it. its the storm front, not the lite. be nice if they were lite, then i could at least find them in the dark and they'd be worth something.
    aqua seal patches up ripes pretty well in the field if you need a quick fix.
    still can't beat the ol' helly....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Have you washed it with that fancy tech wash stuff and applied DWR rejuvenator?

I think the issue is it rips, snags, and punctures too easy.

My Kuiu gear is doing pretty well...but when it finally gives it up I'll replace it with Hellys. I'm amazed at how poorly most of this high dollar rain gear holds up for the price. I've had Impertech last three seasons, which seems pretty good compared to some of this other stuff.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

YUP. Tried all the fancy rain gear and always pull the hh out in the end. Could've saved $1000 by just staying with it in the first place....
    Or more

My Kryptek is holding up fantastic!! any review from others that have tried it this year, its half the cost of Sitka..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    YUP. Tried all the fancy rain gear and always pull the hh out in the end. Could've saved $1000 by just staying with it in the first place....
    Or more
    My HH jacket and bibs pack down to the size of a small car and weigh as much as my tent and sleeping bag combined. For you wee little guys I can see it as an option but when you have to put a couple "X's" in front of the "L" then it is just to bulky IMHO.

Specifically the impertech, correct?

I'm happy with my KUIU pants so far, but only have about 10 days in 'em so far, probably 6 of those rainy - so we're still certainly in the trial phase. I'm pleased thus far, though, and they cost less than Sitka. HH Impertech does indeed work and I consider it ideal for wheeler-based hunts, but for mountain hunting I think they're just too heavy, too bulky, and I always end up soaked from the inside due to their lack of breathability.

I've been equally as disapointed in the Sitka. I've yet to brush bust with with KUIU but can see that its not nearly as tough as the impertech, but what is? I'm in same boat as Lujon, I'm 6-3 and go 250 so my Impertech is an elephant in the pack. I will continue to spend the $$ to find a great mountian hunt alternative.

Moose hunt starts tomorrow, nothing but the impertech in my bag, except case of crown royal.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm happy with my KUIU pants so far, but only have about 10 days in 'em so far, probably 6 of those rainy - so we're still certainly in the trial phase. I'm pleased thus far, though, and they cost less than Sitka. HH Impertech does indeed work and I consider it ideal for wheeler-based hunts, but for mountain hunting I think they're just too heavy, too bulky, and I always end up soaked from the inside due to their lack of breathability.
    After my SE goat hunt last year, I will never wear the Impertch on a mountain hunt.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    My Kryptek is holding up fantastic!! any review from others that have tried it this year, its half the cost of Sitka..
    Is that just one season. Issue most are seeing is "real" use after a couple of years and it just doesn't keep you dry.

I was thinking,...Grundens,...what the commercial guys mostly use, tho there are varieties of heavy tough stuff

the only kind to wear in the end I think,...but yeah, heavy is almost an understatement,
    I hate dragging mine up to the top mtns, almost not an option unless fully deluging out

Have you guys considered/tried the lightweight versions of the serious raingear brands,...like Grundens for example
    (not sure if Helly makes them, but there is good Helly stuff being made these days, fully h20proof, and kinda lite?)

I've swerved to using the lightweight coat offshore, and they are "Really Light" in comparison to the standard weight

definitely not as tough as the heavy stuff, but possibly a good (and ultimately more affordable) compromise between
    the designer brands that don't last, and the "too heavy," HH or Grundens, etc. raingear
    that still busts Alder and keeps you dry in a storm
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Charterboat Operator

not even HH is worth the money these days, i go through a set every summer on the boat, am on my second year on the hunting set, but dont think it will make next years trip, as tlingit said, certainly not mountain stuff, until you are on top!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast