Thread: Montana Creek

Default Montana Creek

Heading to Montana Creek next week, any pointers? This will be my first time north of Anchorage, should I fish up or down stream of the highway?

The Montana is one of my favorite creeks as it is usually productive and has some good size fish but it is different than most and takes some work. I suggest upstream (way upstream) of the highway. Usually, I hike a ways and try lots of holes as there is lots of water to fish. Best bet this time of the year is about the same as every other salmon stream (beads behind salmon and flesh behind log jams).

Since you haven't fished the Parks streams yet, bring lots of flies and be prepared for lots of snags. You've been warned!

Sounds good thanks for the info. Ill post how it went!

a good indication of whether or not you in a good spot is how many times you re-tie your gearů..lol

Quote Originally Posted by AKSilverado View Post
    Heading to Montana Creek next week, any pointers?
    Check water levels and stud your boot soles.

How good are these new "sticky Rubber" soles compared to the felt soles. I just got mine swapped out and I have yet to use them this summer?

Default Soles

How good are these new "sticky Rubber" soles compared to the felt soles. I just got mine swapped out and I have yet to use them this summer?
    Get the studs. The sticky soles just don't seem to offer much grip in the cold water on the slime coated rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenfishman View Post
    Get the studs. The sticky soles just don't seem to offer much grip in the cold water on the slime coated rocks.
    So do you just screw then into the sole or is there more to it? Sorry for being dumb.

So do you just screw then into the sole or is there more to it? Sorry for being dumb.
    Exactly, just screw them in. They work great but they will mess up your boat or raft!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

With all the heavy rain, was wondering how hi the river was???

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrab24 View Post
    With all the heavy rain, was wondering how hi the river was???
    Snow crab here is a site you can go to to answer your question. Book mark it and you'll always have it. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow

Thanks for all the info on the creek went and fished this morning and last night, creek was not high and caught six in a few hours. This is my new favorite creek. Pics tomorrow.