Thread: Change 90 degree bolt to 60 degree bolt

Default Change 90 degree bolt to 60 degree bolt

Can u change a 90 degree bolt to a 60 degree bolt lift or u pretty much stuck with what u buy

U r stuk w whut u hav. It kant chanj frum 1 2 the uther>
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

LOL Doug, had to read that 3 times!

The bolt rotation is built into the lug design, to change that means a new receiver and bolt with the desired lugs . . . thatĎs building a whole new gun with a different receiver complete with all new paperwork even. So nope, U B stuck with what U got.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Nah, just chop off half of each locking lug, then the bolt will open sooner. Problem solved, right?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Nah, just chop off half of each locking lug, then the bolt will open sooner. Problem solved, right?
    New niche market! Send your weary 90 degree bolts for a quick trimming. Shorter bolt throw and also think of the weight savings!

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Heck why stop at half? Grind them clean off and have yourself a high dollar German stile straight pull bolt, save yourself thousands!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I reckon my question to the OP would be what problem, if any, is he experiencing that causes him to ask the question?

By the way it is possible: Trade into a Browning

You guys are funny!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by fish slayer View Post
    Can u change a 90 degree bolt to a 60 degree bolt lift or u pretty much stuck with what u buy
    Those who know more about the subject, than I, have chosen to joke about your question. Theyíve answered it, but didnít really explain.

Someone can correct ME if I'm wrong.

Iíve noticed that Bolt Actions with shorter than 90 degree bolt lifts are ones that have both multiple, and smaller locking lugs, as in 3 or even 9.

There is apparently, and amount of locking lug surface required to handle the required pressure, and 2 opposing locking lugs of needed size, necessitates a 90 degree turn to lock/unlock.

Changing from 90 to 60 degrees would seem to involve a MAJOR redesign of an action.

And, the difference in bolt lift is not considered to be a MAJOR advantage.

So, maybe you can see why, the humor.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yup Smitty thatís pretty much the deal, takes a total re-think of the lug design.

I donít think you ďneedĒ all the lug area on a on a bolt action to hold the normal pressure. There are other action types that use a lot less lug, take a gander at an M1 for instance. But remember if the lugs fail on a bolt action you'll be stopping that thing with your face where the other designs have something between your face and the back of the bolt. So with the lugs as your only protection . . . you want them to be way overkill strong, no chance of the blot comming back at the shooter ever.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanx for info I have no problem with my. Bolt just don't like. Clearance between scope and bolt handle hit knuckles when I cycle fast

Default Change 90 degree bolt to 60 degree bolt

If you aren't worried about keeping weight down you may find a tactical bolt handle solves your clearance issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fish slayer View Post
    Thanx for info I have no problem with my. Bolt just don't like. Clearance between scope and bolt handle hit knuckles when I cycle fast
    OK, what kind of rifle do you have. A change of bolt throw may solve a scope clearance issue, just changes hand location while operating the bolt. There maybe a solution however, what kind of scope you using.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Don't grab the bolt with your fingers, use the palm of your hand to lift, open and close the bolt.

My dad left me his Argentine Mauser that the bolt would strike the scope. My solution was to replace the rings and raise the scope. Its on a thumb hole stock and was sitting too low anyway. Now there's clearance for the bolt and its more comfortable to shoulder and sight in.
    Last edited by Odiebo; 09-12-2012 at 13:47. Reason: clarification of text

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Odiebo View Post
    My dad left me his Argentine Mauser that the bolt would strike the scope. My solution was to replace the rings and raise the scope. Its on a thumb hole stock and was sitting too low anyway. Now there's clearance for the bolt and its more comfortable to shoulder and sight in.
    Right. I was gonna suggest a higher mounted scope.

Most scopes are mounted too low anyway, and you hafta hug the stock too tight, and FACE the Recoil.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.