Thread: Looking for someone that will show me the ropes in Alaskan hunting

Default Looking for someone that will show me the ropes in Alaskan hunting

I want to learn to hunt. Being prior military law enforcement, i'm all about gun safety and have common sense and respect for my environment and companions. I've spent much of my life tromping through the woods, camping/fishing and in various survival schools, setting snares for rabbits (long story, 9 of us ended up eating a woodpecker that our teacher hit with a slingshot) and that sustained us for 3 days.

All that being said, I've never really hunted. My family is in Ohio, My in-laws can't do the bush hiking/labor though the Father-in-law used to hunt in LA but I don't think that they really like me enough to go with me anyway. I used to own some handguns but sold some and lost others post divorce (Nice lady came and took them...AND MY TRUCK, and I didn't press charges...ain't I sweet). I just bought a Mosin Nagant that I plan on taking to the range, but I have access to virtually every caliber be it rifle or pistol via the in-laws until I start building my collection back up.

I'm a nice guy, get along with most everybody unless you give me a reason not to, then i'll just quietly, but respectfully tolerate you (read my coworker that has treated my like crap since I started 2 years ago, but to my credit, i've been nice this whole time) I'd like to get my wife involved as a hunting partner once I learn where/how to go myself. I'm good to go for tent camping/hunting, river boat hunting or roadside hunting like some do up north.

Sorry for the wall of text here...just thought that i'd throw in some info about me to show that i'm not some psycho.

Thanks for any help, or even just adivce, Michael.

Welcome to The AOD..........

Hunting has a great many variations and variables.

Take that Mosin Nagant, get tuned in with a large quantity of ammo at any distance,(straight shooting at all ranges is an important part of Hunting with guns) and start finding a small amount of gear that you can "Overnight" with and get your hunt on. I always carry a pack and something to get me through an unexpected delay, and have used said gear many times over.
    Gear depends on where you are hunting and what season it is.

Different animals in different terrain in different conditions are all different through out the state. Find a place, via folks here to get out to and start walking, snowgo'in', 4 wheeling, boat launch, ect.

Going out on day trips and aquiring gear that is suited to your areas (Ocean, Tundra, Fikkin triple canopy SE stuff, ect) and you can count on.

Observation, interaction and action is the way you best learn to Hunt............ Watch, help, do..........and reading alot didn't hurt anyone too much ~~LOL!!~~

Ask lots of questions while your at it, these Forums are great for an answer from completely skeward angles
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    ...Being prior military law enforcement...
    A former MP?? Good luck getting any help here!! lol

Well....SP...now they're called "SF" (security forces) so maybe that will get me a lil extra credit...that and I wasn't an a-hole cop...treated everyone with respect, lol.

All very good advice...I guess what i'm looking for is like a mentor...someone that will show me where/how to find game, how to field dress it, pack it out..etc...i'm a very good packmule as my wifey calls me. I suppose that I could accomplish this buy hiring a hunting guide or something...but it's not what i'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikon View Post
    Well....SP...now they're called "SF" (security forces) so maybe that will get me a lil extra credit...that and I wasn't an a-hole cop...treated everyone with respect, lol.
    Wait a minute you are/were an airforce cop? Thats it no help for you! Just kidding.

How long have you been in Alaska? Have you gone and spent any time outdoors in Alaska? Do you fish? How are your shooting skills with a rifle?

I was just kidding Michael....anyhow what brings you to Alaska? As far as mentoring goes, I see posts on here quite a bit about guys asking if someone wants to go out hunting with them, and a couple of them that have asked are guides...but the details you would have to work out with them.

How to find game...well I cant really help you there as I myself have not hunted in Alaska yet, though I can tell you if you just walk through the brush away from people you should see something. As far as the where part is concerned, not too many guys here are willing to give up that info, if they do it will be in very general broad terms.

If your the pack mule you say you are, there might be some guys looking for a pack mule come Ship Creek Moose Hunt time. I hear its a blast!

Oh and last a final thing, get a copy of the hunting regulations and read, read, and then read some more.

Welcome to Outdoors Directory! If this site is about anything, it's about helping folks like you. I have no doubt that you will find what you're looking for here. You are more than welcome to contact me directly any time you like and I will be happy to pull from my pool of ignorance, if that is any value to you. Seriously.

Again, welcome home!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mikon,
    Give me a call at 907-360-2319