Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gun safety pet peeves

Default gun safety pet peeves

so with the recent tragic event I thought I would start a post and ask what are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to watching someone improperly handling a gun and do you or should you bring it to their attention. Maybe we can point out so folks with less experience with guns or gun safety reading this could perhaps learn something.

one of my biggest one is the finger on the trigger.I was taught from a very early age to always lay my finger along the side of the trigger until I am ready to shoot and this has always stuck with me and I preach it to my kids.. Every time I go to a place where guns are being sold I see someone pick up a gun and immediately put their finger right on the trigger and I cringe.. just doesnt seem right to me.. I have never mentioned it at those stores but always felt I should...

Coming back from Lake Louise a guy had a rifle pointed across the road as I drove by. He didn't even raise it when I passed.

I don't have a pet peave per se, but I've witnessed a large percentage of hunters that have extremely poor firearm handling skills, both at the range and in the hunting fields. Whether it's not keeping track of where their muzzle is at and sweeping other hunters, finger on the trigger, or just mindless fumbling with a firearm. I don't know if it's people who didn't have firearm safety drilled into them or familiarty breeding contempt, but I've seen more than my share of muzzles pointed my way.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Muzzle safety (or lack thereof) is number one for me.

As an aside, I have never understood how so many people are reportedly accidendally shot by someone "cleaning" a gun. How the he// does this happen? Call it what it is; say you were waving it around like a flag, fondling it inappropriately, attempting to unload it in an unsafe manner...whatever, but I am so sick of hearing "the gun went off while I was cleaning it". BS!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I agree! Really what at the odds of a rifle discharging while being sprayed off with a hose in the back yard?!

My biggest pet peeve - Trophy photos with the rifle laying over the critter with the muzzle pointed at the hunter/friend/guide!!

My biggest is to see people "glassing" with a rifle...makes my blood boil.

Next to that is poor muzzle control- the main reason I refuse to hunt with someone with a loaded chamber.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    My biggest pet peeve - Trophy photos with the rifle laying over the critter with the muzzle pointed at the hunter/friend/guide!!
    I agree but this is one situation where a 2d photo does not always reflect the 3d reality.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I second that one!! There isn't anything much more unsettling than looking through your binos and seeing somebody squaring up on you with their rifle! Last year had two bozos do it to me for so long I was getting really nervous so I wound up hiding behind my wheeler. They finally quit when I give them a one finger wave. Guess that finger helped clarify that I didn't have 3 brow tines.

Exclamation

I refuse to hunt with someone who's rifle or pistol is not loaded.

I have to agree with the "muzzle waving" and "rifle scope glassing". I actually quit a hunt in Virginia after one of my hunting buddies pointed his rifle at me twice. Never went hunting (or anything) with this guy again.

Just a note I am normally the guy that gives everyone a hard time about gun safety. Been preaching to my kids forever, always watching friends and store clerks and the like. This past week I was careless taking apart a glock I was hurrying because I've done it a thousand times before. I drooped the mag, unloaded the mag, and forgot to check the chamber, Big mistake and when I pulled the trigger to take it apart i shot my hand. (by the way that really hurts)
    I was careless and thankfully only I was hurt. Those of us that handle guns a lot sometimes let our familiarity with them override caution.

So from my stand point It was an accident one I hope to never repeat and hopefully someone can learn from my mistake. So i think its important we tell others when we see them do something unsafe but don't think it can't happen to you one day you may be just a little too tired, too much in a hurry, or just forget a step. I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
    If I recall it was not to long ago that this type of situation resulted in death. I believe(and if someone remembers better please feel free to correct me) it was on a caribou hunt and after a successful shot the walked up and in the excitement when laying the loaded gun in the animal the trigger was touched off by an antler..

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

Next to that is poor muzzle control- the main reason I refuse to hunt with someone with a loaded chamber.
    hodgeman I think a lot of guides can relate to this one for sure( I say guides cause we tend to hunt with strangers and if your bud did it you wouldnt hunt with him) I have had more then one hunter walking behind me with one in the chamber and I peeves me off so much so that I have a talk with every hunter about it.... there is a time for one in the chamber and it is not when behind someone in the brush with your muzzle pointed at them..

Muzzle control.

Muzzle control and itchy finger on the trigger before your ready to fire. I think but may be mistaken that we are have been guilty of using our rifles to check something out. Not saying it is right but we may have done it in the past. I did before I had the money to by bino's and scopes in my younger years. I know better now.

Blackbear, your not the only one who has shot themselfs on this forum. I learned a good lesson about richochets with a 9mm years back. We were shooting at some junk and I had one come back and go through my cheek and plant in the windshield. I agree, that hurts like hell! I havent shot at junk since. Some learn from there mistakes and some don't...
    I don't hunt with anyone I havent gone to the range with. It drops the hunting buddy pool down a bit. If you can't handle a rifle at the range, you sure can't in the field.

I must say, along with all of the above. I am not a fan of hunting buddies or others who believe they can have a few drinks and still handle firearms. This goes for in the woods or back in camp. I believe a there is a time and place, but these two hobies do not mix.

Although we learn from our personal mistakes ... just seems to be human nature to rationalize scenarios that ultimately fuel bad habits and poor gun safety practices. So I guess my number one peeve is that I'm not doing more for gun safety or working with those around me to bring more awareness to gun safety.

Muzzle control and trigger/safety. While on a stalk back in 2007 I had a co-worker who wanted to hunt with me (we had just struck out on the white mountain caribou permit hunt). We were climbing a pretty steep snow covered hill when he broke through some snow causing his rifle to get hung up in some brush which in turn hit the trigger. His 30-06 went off (either by finger or by a branch striking the trigger) literally inches from my hear if I was just a step closer to him he would have easily killed me with a point blank head shot. I rarely will walk in the brush with my rifle loaded (takes a split second to chamber a round) and never if I am on a active stalk walk in with the safety off. Since that day I have been very reluctant trusting new hunting partners.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I have never had an AD but after a range session a couple years back I got home and was taking rifles out of their cases to clean on the dining room table. I do religiously check chambers whenever picking up a rifle and this day was no different. Having done this thousands of times over the years though you can imagine my shock as a shiny 150 cor-lokt sailed across the room and bounced off the entertainment center. I don't recall what happened at the range or why that rifle wasn't properly cleared prior to transport. Oversights like this is why the rules are so redundant!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast