Thread: Moose along chena hot springs road

Default Moose along chena hot springs road

Thinking about heading up along Chena hotsprings road this weekend to go after moose for the first time ever. Wondering if anyone's has had any luck up there and If you have any pointers or where some good areas to start glassing might be at.

Lots of road hunters, find a good pond and sit and wait early in the aam or right before dark, watch for the no shooting zones too.

Skybustin...can't kill what you don't shoot at..

Try two rivers road. drive to the end, and look over the active wood cutting areas. kind of like a smorgus board for the moose. There is even wheeler trails and a swamp at the end. good luck

I talked to a lady at the alaska parks desk please let me iterate that it was not a ranger, but she told me you have to be a Quater mile from any trail head and off hotsprings road to shoot in chena river park can anyone comment on this for me. tries to contact a trooper or park ranger but have yet to have success with that.

Stop at the Fish and Game office on College Rd. and ask them... better to hear it from the horses mouth and remember who you talked with in case you get questioned... Thats what I use to do when I lived there.. Good Luck

The regs say you can't shoot on, from or across the driveable surface of a road.

Last weekend, guys were posted up watching the swamps right off the road and another guy was bicycling down the road and hunting. Don't know about any 1/4 mile stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota boy View Post
    I talked to a lady at the alaska parks desk please let me iterate that it was not a ranger, but she told me you have to be a Quater mile from any trail head and off hotsprings road to shoot in chena river park can anyone comment on this for me. tries to contact a trooper or park ranger but have yet to have success with that.
    Yes, I believe it is 1/4 mile off the road in any state park.

Dont think that is true, because the 6 moose I seen shot this past monday were well within 1/4 mile from road, 2 cows 4 bulls, great road to drive down if hunting on a workday morning. just watch the no shooting zones.
    I did ask a trooper since the signs say no shooting does that mean I can use a bow? Trooper said it means no hunting.

That also threw me off the no hunting signs how far then do you have to be from the road in the signed areas 1/4 mile?

I was planning on taking a canoe down the chena off the road any comments or suggestions on that ie good/ bad idea

Why not read the rules posted in the Chena River State Park website? The second line from the top makes it pretty clear.

What the person you talked to has confused is the rule that applies to all State Parks. There could be an argument made that the public road is part of the "facilities" of the park, but that would not stand up in a court IMO.

From the main State Parks website FAQs.

Q. Is hunting permitted in state parks?

Yes, in accordance with Department of Fish and Game rules for that Game Management Unit. Discharge of firearms within Ĺ mile of any developed park facility is prohibited. Target shooting and firearms sighting is prohibited. For more information contact the Department of Fish and Game (Anchorage) 267-2257 or (Fairbanks) 459-7200

Q. May I carry a gun into a state park when traveling?

Yes, however, no discharge of firearms allowed within a 1/2 mile of a developed facility. Some parks are closed to the discharge of firearms. The use of explosive devices, such as fireworks, is strictly prohibited within all state parks.

There are "No shooting" signs along most of the road, so watch out for those.

the question lies then as to what is the definition of a developed park facility?

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post

The "no shooting" things is confusing out there. You can't shoot in the no shooting areas but you can hunt.

Discharge of firearms:
    discharge of weapons is prohibited except for lawful hunting or trapping. Target shooting is only allowed at the developed shooting range mile 36.4 Chena Hot Springs Road.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chena/chenareg.htm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Good find Snyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The "no shooting" things is confusing out there. You can't shoot in the no shooting areas but you can hunt.

Discharge of firearms:
    discharge of weapons is prohibited except for lawful hunting or trapping. Target shooting is only allowed at the developed shooting range mile 36.4 Chena Hot Springs Road.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chena/chenareg.htm
    Well the fish and game cops should read that because he specifically told me I cannot hunt within the no shooting signs.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Well the fish and game cops should read that because he specifically told me I cannot hunt within the no shooting signs.
    Yup, he should. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. In fact, if I remember right, the signs say "No Shooting Except Hunting". I saw them this summer and was surprised.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    those are before and around the park cabins in the area...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here