Thread: Electric Smoker Suggestions???

Default Electric Smoker Suggestions???

My electric smoker crapped out recently and I've been having a very hard time finding a replacement.

I smoke a wide range of items including fish, duck, small turkey's and also make jerkey.
    I've recently started smoking salmon bellies low and slow like the native style "squaw candy".

Based on customer reviews, Materbuilt's are hard to cold-smoke fish as the temp needs too be to high to get the smoke rolling good. Similar reviews on Bradley's and not to mention the expensive wood disk's...

I've looked into the upscale models but cannot justify spending $1,00 ~ $5,000+ for something that will likely need replaced in a few years.

Right now I'm liking the Cookshack models [such as the 75 and the Smokette] for ~ $6-700 and they are American made with pretty good reviews.

Has anyone used the Cookshack smokers?

Are there any other options such as local butcher supply houses? Nothing's coming up during Internet searches.

As always ~ thanks in advance.

I've been using a Lil Chief for years. (80.00) Works great for salmon for me. Right now I've got a load of candy (my very first) going. That being said - I just ordered a BT1S1 Bradley Original from Amazon for $235.00. (free shipping) I want to do other meats and the control offered by Bradley will pay for itself easily. Pucks in bulk work out to 30 cents per each. I know I'm payng the same or more than that for the equivilant in wood chips. If money were no object for something I use 6 times a year, I would buy a Cookshack next.

My first post - great forum!

I started smoking w/ Lol Chief bAck in '95. Worked well and we'd use the box it came in during winter for extra insulation.
    Our next smoker was Masterbuilt gas 7-in-1 and it was okay but hard to keep lit w/ winds blowing flame out at low,setting red,for fish. I have been using an electric smoker [no name brand ~ got it as a gift] that's basically an insulated box for the past 6 years and it did good but just died. Only issue wk it was temp control hard to regulate for different meats/fish. After several years I had the setting pretty close but really look forward to a digital control. Cookshack's are on sale $100 off @ Cabelas right now. I have Cabelas bucks & gift cards plus free shipping w/ Cabelas Club Visa. Only issue ~ they have restrictions and don't send to Alaska. Probably due to the weight being 92 pounds... Excited about buying an Amareican product, I went to the parent site and they WILL ship to Alaska but...at a cost of $240!

Quote Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
    I've been using a Lil Chief for years. (80.00) Works great for salmon for me. Right now I've got a load of candy (my very first) going. That being said - I just ordered a BT1S1 Bradley Original from Amazon for $235.00. (free shipping) I want to do other meats and the control offered by Bradley will pay for itself easily. Pucks in bulk work out to 30 cents per each. I know I'm payng the same or more than that for the equivilant in wood chips. If money were no object for something I use 6 times a year, I would buy a Cookshack next.

My first post - great forum!

Call Lynden in Tacoma, have the smoker shipped free to them and they will ship it the rest of the way for cheap. I had a replacement front bumper for a Dodge Pickup shipped up and I think it was 200 bucks, it weighted 200 lbs and was 8 ft long.. your smoker is bound to be smaller and lighter.

Going to the cook shack website to check them out.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sounds like a good plan to check Lynden...thanks for the tip.
    On another note; I apologize for all the typo's on my last post. I was using a cell phone [due to Internet being down from storm] in dim light without reading glasses. I should have done a better job spell/grammar checking.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Call Lynden in Tacoma, have the smoker shipped free to them and they will ship it the rest of the way for cheap. I had a replacement front bumper for a Dodge Pickup shipped up and I think it was 200 bucks, it weighted 200 lbs and was 8 ft long.. your smoker is bound to be smaller and lighter.

Going to the cook shack website to check them out.

Default Lynden Quote

Shipping free to Lynden's [Tacoma] much better than direct from the parent company.
    Lynden to Anchorage is $126.29. This was based on the 92# Smokette Elite model but this weight/size does fall into their minimum catagory.
    Cookshack direct is $240 so I called them [waiting on call-back] and asked them to see if they can come up with a better shipping rate to Alaska.

I have a cookshack I bought back in 2003 at sportsmanship warehouse. I love the thing and it does great work. Best part is it is thermostatically controlled so much better temp control than most. I think it is the smokeette model but can't remember for sure. I use it all the time to smoke birds, fish, and sausage. I even use it for baby back ribs and prime rib roasts and beef briskest. If I could only keep my smoker or my grill I would part with the grill in a heartbeat.