Thread: finally something worthy to show off

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default finally something worthy to show off

Ling jig.jpg
    only made it out in the salt a couple times this year and this trip we were haunted with mechanical difficilties. Managed to pull a half day effort at least and my blue 7oz flutter jig cauggt lots of shaker halibut and this guy.

Great catch. Congrats!

Will the smaller 5-7oz jigs effectively attract the larger halibut? Or does the adage of needing big bait if you want big fish apply?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Will the smaller 5-7oz jigs effectively attract the larger halibut? Or does the adage of needing big bait if you want big fish apply?
    Effectively? Hard to say. I have caught numerous 80lb+ halibut on the 7 oz Wilson dart (Needlefish), but the biggest issue I've had with light jigs (IMO) is their ability (or inability) to keep bottom. I find bait (or scent) to be helpful, but not necessary.

Oh, and nice Ling, btw

Yes indeed, VERY nice ling there, akriverrat!

I generally follow the old adage, but the 150 lb. butt I got this summer and all of the plus 50lb. lings I've gotten this year were all caught on a 16oz. boneyard jig head and 8" wishbone grub.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Or does the adage of needing big bait if you want big fish apply?
    Not in our experience. Tending bottom in deeper water or faster currents is a question of weight, but when we've put the flutter jigs in front of big fish, they cooperate. Hard to say for sure after only a couple of years, but the flutters appear to be outfishing darts most of the time so far. That's only a couple of years of comparing, but it's stopped me from buying any more darts.

Was wondering what happened to you as you had a great thread running a while back on your jigs. Nice ling and a great photo.

Nice ling!

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Thanks guys.... yea unfortunatley i am way too busy with work. Happens every year and about all year long. Still manage to get out in occasion though.