Thread: Irish Lords

Default Irish Lords

I was told this a big ole Irish Lord how big do they get? Got this one on our bear hunt while looking for Bears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

about 30" is what most of the books say for Great Sculpin, which is what you have there...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

we caught one that had to be around 30-36 inches. We have an awesome picture of it. Jesus was it ugly. After we let it go, based on our estimates it would have been a world record....of course who wants their name on the world record bullhead list.

Should have just cut him up and used him for bait, it is what a lot of folks do with herring and cod. Ok boys, let her ripp??? Hahahaah. They are all sportscaught fish. But a lot of people still cut them up and use for bait. Anyone willing to take the bait, eh????
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

yep, back in my charter days we landed lots of nice halibut using a whole small irish lord that had just been cut up a bit.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Irish lord tail is delicious poached. The bigger the IL, the more tail to cook.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    I was told this a big ole Irish Lord how big do they get? Got this one on our bear hunt while looking for Bears.
    once upon a time in a dive shop in wasilla,,, there hung a photo of me being chased by a lord, nearly 40 inches long while diving out of whitter harbor... it had nearly grabbed my swim fin as i fanned the kelp back for the photo op of the fish.. little did i know it would come out after me.. they get big, and mean too
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That's why i cut them up and just use them for bait. I mentioned I cut them up and toss them back and I got hammered by the internet police a couple of weeks ago, so what has changed? When someone else uses a resource for the comman good, so what, it is all fishbait, Pike, Cod, herring, etc. A sports caught fish can still be halibut bait, like many of us do still use today. So where are the sport fishery police tonight? Just must be somewhere else, I guess.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Didnt realize they were mean little fish, also using them as bait i may use as a future reference, those red eyes coming up out of the water was pretty freaking cool. I ve only caught the little 6 to12inchers either way another story to have. Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yep, back in my charter days we landed lots of nice halibut using a whole small irish lord that had just been cut up a bit.
    I've HEARD that lings kind of like the ugly little fellows, too. Someday I might just have to try that!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Something that I've never bothered doing up here but works AMAZING down in puget sound and off vancouver island for BIG lings:

Build a harness to rig a kelp greenling live and send it down for lingcod. Down there you need barbless everything so the nose rig needs to be some sort of clip like you have on a kid's fish stringer. Up here you could use a barbed circle hook through the nose. Then, rig a big hairy treble hook about 2/3 of the way back, with one leg of the treble in the fish. You could also secure the treble to the back half of the fish with a rubberband if you don't want to poke through skin. You need to lead the fish by the nose, and the treble hook gives the hook a standoff from the bait to ensure hookup when the ling engulfs the greenling as they're prone to do.

Rockfish don't work well because the depth changes screw them up. Not so for greenling. I'm thinking the various sculpins and cod could work as well (or better...).

http://www.britebitetackle.com/

This site has the best illustration of the type of heavy mono spreader I use for live greenling. I'm not pitching their stuff; I make my own that are similar and this was the best view that I could google up. Replace the circle hook with the BHT (big hairy treble), add a circle hook to the center triangle area to lead the greenling by the nose, and you're in no-tangle reliable-hookup business. When you happen upon a suitable-size live bait of the greenling or sculpin flavor, tie it on and drop it down.

It's up to you to study regs as to the legality of this. I've not done so.

Down there you need barbless everything
    Not in BC you don't-just if you're targeting Salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Something that I've never bothered doing up here but works AMAZING down in puget sound and off vancouver island for BIG lings:

Build a harness to rig a kelp greenling live and send it down for lingcod. <snip> .
    We use the same rig down here around San Francisco. Oddly (to me, anyway) the preferred bait here is a sand dab. I wouldn't think a ling would run across a dab very often, given that they like completely different bottoms. The regs here allow the use of sculpins, but other than cabezon, which are too big and too tasty to use for bait, they are few and far between. I catch 2 - 3 a year, and only in very shallow water, 30' or less. Greenlings can't be used as bait down here.

Big_E