Thread: Anything happening in Ketchikan?

Default Anything happening in Ketchikan?

I dont see to many posts for the Ketchikan area, any reports of salmon or halibut being caught?

I was on the docks on Sunday on the north end and saw only a few pinks being cleaned and one small halibut. A charter friend told me the coho are in small pockets and not many coming in. My son and only picked up a couple chickens 3 weekends ago after a 6 hour trip.

Sorry, not a good report.....

No that is a slow report hope it gets better before we get there in a few weeks, thanks for the report

I'll be up there this weekend...but only in Ketchikan long enough to catch a floatplane over to POW. Usually the terminal activity is a good indicator of the fishing activity in the area...i.e. - if there's lots of fish boxes and smiling anglers, then the fishing is good. I'll ask the folks at Pacific Air and AK Air how it's been. Here's a report from a local lodge from late last month.

"Silver Salmon fishing has picked up a good bit in the last couple of weeks especially in the 3/4 day range. Most are between 6-8lbs but there have really been some chunky ones we’ve landed here lately going from 12-14lbs. Halibut fishing has been consistently good all year, although we have been having to work a little harder recently as it seems they are spreading out. The size limits have been ok(much better than last year), but I have still had to release 21 halibut in the middle of the slot (45”-68″). It’s tough. Pink Salmon landings have slowed over the last week within the half day range, while Coho/Silver Salmon landings are increasing especially fishing North of town. Average half day trip this last week is 5-10 Pinks and 2-5 Silvers with about as many lost as landed on the Pinks. Six hour Salmon trips have been yielding close to limits. Although I hate to speak of it at all, weather has been good. Till next time…"

If I have good WiFi and the time, I'll post what I find out or experience myself. In 13 years of going to SE AK, I have yet to be disappointed.

I look forward to your reports, we are on the south end of town and fishing there and at clover pass. We are going to try to find some halibut at clover pass but have never fished it before so it should be fun. Good luck

We had poor WiFi service at the Lodge and being busy fishing didn't allow for much internet time.

Plenty of fish in the Prince of Wales waters. Both in the fresh and salt. Silvers are running and should go into October there. I caught limits most days. Brought home two fish boxes full and donated 30 pounds to the lodge hosts who have a daughter getting married in Washington soon and were going to take some to the wedding dinner and can up the rest.

Met some folks on the plane homeward bound who fished out of the Silverking Lodge in KTN and said they did well, also.

A bonus for me was the Pacific Cod I jigged up from under the lodge dock in 25 feet of water. Filled half a fish box with cod fillets. Did not get out on the salt due to the weather but didn't fret about that when the cod were fast and furious right under my feet and bent the GL2 rod tip to the water on the big ones.

I know, I know,.....pics or it didn't happen. I'll upload some later and re-post .

Sounds like fun and a good time. Look forward to the pictures

Some silvers.

p9110027v.jpg
    p9130086.jpg

Some cod I caught off the dock in 25 feet of water. As fast as I could reel them in.

p9110048.jpg
    p9110032.jpg

And a Copper Rockfish; also from off the dock. I pulled up a hundred or so sculpins, cabezon, Irish Lords and flounders just for grins.

p9140143d.jpg
    p9140144.jpg

Nice bunch of silvers

This is what we took home.
    p9130097.jpg

wow.. that's good cod fishing. Didn't realize they were so close to the dock. We troll close to that dock in May and catch kings. Even a few kings in January one year from that area.

Nice meeting you. Wish I had a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    This is what we took home.
    p9130097.jpg
    Nice job man, that will fill the freezer for sure!

Goon- - yea, it's a treat to have Alaskan Salmon (not that orange farmed crap) each week and share with friends. Then my dear sweet wife sends me back next year. WIn/Win!

270 Ti- it was good to meet you, too, Joel. Even for a quick hello and handshake. That Moose rack of yours is pretty incredible. i helped Chuck hang one of his in the garage after you left. when I asked him could I bring the family up next year he surprised me and said No, his whole 2013 season was booked. Good for you guys. So I said put my family down for 2014. Hope you get in some more hunting this fall.

On the cod, I dropped the knife jig tipped with salmon belly straight off the dock and yanked up 13 in less than an hour. Cleaned those and pulled up 3 more. My buds were pretty amazed and we pulled up a few for them 2 days later.