Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jurisdiction of Whittier cops ??? Be careful of the speed trap !!

Default Jurisdiction of Whittier cops ??? Be careful of the speed trap !!

Last time i was coming out of whittier the cop was hiding almost half way back to the highway looking to trap some speeders. Guess business is poor in town so they have to range out ?? I wonder how far their jurisdiction is?? They've been hanging out by the visitors center a lot this summer, nothing like driving the hands that feed ya away. I did try to warn a guy with a pickup/camper towing a red metal boat to slow down i hope he got the message from me and didn't get a ticket. Be careful guys their looking to make their last nickels till next year.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have noticed that as well, Steve. Must be slow in Whittier. I had them give me a hard time about not having my trailer lights plugged in once. I asked him if he was going to cite me and he said no, so I left. Surprised he didn't ding me for being oversize.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Jurisdiction of Whittier cops ??? Be careful of the speed trap !!

I have noticed them with several people pulled over. Sometimes there is a cop at both ends of the roads. Sneaky.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

If you don't want a speeding ticket then don't speed. My opinion.

Maybe they should be getting tickets for being where they are not supposed to be ??? I'm not saying they shouldn't get speeders but i want the know how far away from ****tier proper they can be and still write tickets legally. Next they'll be at the old train station pullout !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

So you had come through the tunnel and didn't have your brake lights plugged in or you didn't have your roof beacon on ?? You are oversized right? Do you put the signs on at the lake overlook?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    So you had come through the tunnel and didn't have your brake lights plugged in or you didn't have your roof beacon on ?? You are oversized right? Do you put the signs on at the lake overlook?
    Guess I should have clarified that. I am talking from the gravel parking lot to the ramp. To and from ****tier I always have a permit, banners, and light flashing.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

My signs go on before I leave the ramp staging area. My permit does not say I need a beacon so I don't use it most of the time, not sure when this changed. The first time I got a permit it said I needed a beacon, then when I bought my six month one last summer it did not specify a beacon. I still use it some times as my little boys think its cool.

As for trailer lights, I leave my plug unhooked when the boat is off the trailer, that way I don't lock up the brakes on the trailer when driving in the rock (its not really gravel) lot or backing down the ramp. Never had a problem and have had the cops follow me to the ramp more than once.

I wonder where the Whittier cops are allowed to go... it should be easy to find out, maybe a quick call to the troopers. I would not have thought they had any business on the portage side of the tunnel.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

yeah i would think just about nobody hooks up their lights for that short trip.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Maybe they should be getting tickets for being where they are not supposed to be ??? I'm not saying they shouldn't get speeders but i want the know how far away from ****tier proper they can be and still write tickets legally. Next they'll be at the old train station pullout !!!
    Pull over and ask them what the hell their problem is. Don't take that crap from the man, otherwise they'll just keep pushing you around - unless you like taking it that way.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Thats what i'm asking, just how far from home can they go ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I just sent the Whittier Department of Public Safety Director and email asking him how far there jurisdiction extends on the other side of the tunnel..... we will see what kind of reply I get.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I've seen them in Carrs on Huffman....admittedly not handing out citations, but I still wondered what they were doing in uniform and patrol vehicles here. I'm guessing they had a court date, though.

I believe...and I could be wrong....that Whittier PD has enforcement authority of Portage as well, so that would explain the road out to the highway. I'm curious, now, though.

First off... this is NOT a "speed trap"! A "speed trap" is a location where the speed limit drops suddenly by more than 10mph. For instance, it would be a speed trap if you had a section of road running 55mph and then placed a 35mph sign just around a blind corner where a cop was waiting to nail you because you actually don't have enough warning to slow down to the proper speed. That's a speed trap.

As a sworn police officer in the state of Alaska, they can write tickets pretty much anywhere. You very well could be witnessing a simple request from the Troopers to put some time in on the road around Portage because AST is so short handed. It could also be an agreement with the city of Girdwood, which is the city covering the postal code all the way up to the Portage side of the tunnel, though I don't know what other city services they provide out that far.

I really don't understand the angst that the sight of an LEO working a highway causes some people. Would you rather they sit back at the station eating doughnuts, or be out on the road enforcing our laws and keeping the general public safe from the hoards of wreckless drivers that are constantly killing innocent people on our highways? Obey the traffic laws and feel good about giving the policeman a big smile and wave as you safely drive by.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Re: Jurisdiction of Whittier cops ??? Be careful of the speed trap !!

Got an email back this AM. Here is what it said:

Alaska is rather unique, certified officers have state wide jurisdiction. In addition Whittier Police Dept also holds the enforcement contract for the tunnel and approaches. As example the Portage highway is shared by the state and Whittier Police.

There you have it.

Sent from my TeamDRH ICS for GTablet using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Got an email back this AM. Here is what it said:

Alaska is rather unique, certified officers have state wide jurisdiction. In addition Whittier Police Dept also holds the enforcement contract for the tunnel and approaches. As example the Portage highway is shared by the state and Whittier Police.

There you have it.

Sent from my TeamDRH ICS for GTablet using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for ruining this thread with a logical approach. I wanted to see what kind of results Potbuilder got with my advice
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    First off... this is NOT a "speed trap"! A "speed trap" is a location where the speed limit drops suddenly by more than 10mph. For instance, it would be a speed trap if you had a section of road running 55mph and then placed a 35mph sign just around a blind corner where a cop was waiting to nail you because you actually don't have enough warning to slow down to the proper speed. That's a speed trap.

As a sworn police officer in the state of Alaska, they can write tickets pretty much anywhere. You very well could be witnessing a simple request from the Troopers to put some time in on the road around Portage because AST is so short handed. It could also be an agreement with the city of Girdwood, which is the city covering the postal code all the way up to the Portage side of the tunnel, though I don't know what other city services they provide out that far.

I really don't understand the angst that the sight of an LEO working a highway causes some people. Would you rather they sit back at the station eating doughnuts, or be out on the road enforcing our laws and keeping the general public safe from the hoards of wreckless drivers that are constantly killing innocent people on our highways? Obey the traffic laws and feel good about giving the policeman a big smile and wave as you safely drive by.
    Exactly in this fine state we have concurrent jurisdiction. The only real places we dont are on some of the military bases. But even up here on Ft. Wainwright its concurrent but Ft. Greely is exclusive probably because of all of the missle stuff they have going on there.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but...I've been having a brake lock up on me when I drag the empty trailer from the parking lot. Usually have to go into reverse a couple times to get it to clear. Is this typical? I was planning on having the brakes serviced end of season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My signs go on before I leave the ramp staging area. My permit does not say I need a beacon so I don't use it most of the time, not sure when this changed. The first time I got a permit it said I needed a beacon, then when I bought my six month one last summer it did not specify a beacon. I still use it some times as my little boys think its cool.

As for trailer lights, I leave my plug unhooked when the boat is off the trailer, that way I don't lock up the brakes on the trailer when driving in the rock (its not really gravel) lot or backing down the ramp. Never had a problem and have had the cops follow me to the ramp more than once.

I wonder where the Whittier cops are allowed to go... it should be easy to find out, maybe a quick call to the troopers. I would not have thought they had any business on the portage side of the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but...I've been having a brake lock up on me when I drag the empty trailer from the parking lot. Usually have to go into reverse a couple times to get it to clear. Is this typical? I was planning on having the brakes serviced end of season this year.
    Same problem here. Sucks.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

like where the speed limit goes from 35 to 25 when pulling into the tunnel line up on the whittier side ??? always a cop parked there at tunnel time to catch that speeder trying to make the flush out of town. The only reason i started this is because it seemed odd to me to see the cops on the portage side of the tunnel, never saw them there a year or two ago. Yup maybe the troopers did ask them to do that and the only dealing i had with a whittier cop was pleasant(drunk guy ran over my net and they were waiting for him to come into the harbor).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast