Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ram of a liftime

Default Ram of a liftime

My sheep story starts several years ago on trip up the haul to chase caribou and sheep. Things didn't end up as planned when I pulled the trigger on sub legal ram, 7 1/2 years and 1/2" from full curl. But what this did was fuel a fire that turned into an obsession the last several years. When Permits came out I was sitting in the Anchorage airport headed out on a rafting trip down the grand canyon. I had finally was able to check and realized I had drawn the late Delta sheep permit and the Dixon Glacier Goat permits. The goat permit I had drawn before and was comfortable with what it entailed the sheep was a different story and i frantically called a friend who had hunted in the delta unit. I had emailed 40 mile air and tried to reserve a spot into the Spur Glacier area. Finally as i was starting our float and into the canyon I hiked up to get one bar and finally was able to get a hold of someone and confirm my flight, as i hung up 3 desert big horns ran by a hundred yards below. I figured this was a good sign.Attachment 63047

The typical summer preparations continued gearing up and trying to hide these purchases from my wife. Finally August and it was time to get serious, I figured starting off with the goat hunt opening weekend would be a good idea to ensure my body and gear were ready. Like I had said earlier I had done this hunt 2 other times and had a good idea of what to expect. We left from the beach the day before the season started and got up high into goat country. Opening morning started off early and we climbed higher to an area that goats hung out peered over the edge of the rocks and had 6 nice billies bedded down, we worked our way down a shoot and were able to close to 200 yards where we glassed them for around 20 minutes until we chose the one that looked biggest, put the cross hairs on him and took the the shot and closed the deal on the first half of my tags.Attachment 63048

We left early Saturday morning and made the 550 mile drive to Tok. Spent a restless night in one of the bunks at the hunters office of 40 mile full of anticipation. Talking to the other hunters flying in I was surprised to find out they all were getting dropped off high in sheep country while i was going to have the 12 mile hike to get to my hunting grounds. We were dropped off on the Johnson River valley between Spur Creek and Boulder Creek and made our way up boulder creek to the saddle up and over and made camp another mile up Spur Creek. Monday started out with with Rain, fog, and a wet hike up to the glacier with not many animals spotted. We hiked all day in the rain and worked back down the valley to camp, wet and cold we ate dinner and crawled in to the sack. Tuesday began with the surprise of snow that wasn't slowing down.

Gettin good.

(links are not working)
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Ok, you got me reading..... sounds great...type, man!

Default Ram of a liftime

Nothing worse then waiting on the second half of the post haha! Hopefully you can get the pics working!

P1020007.jpgFinally around noon the weather broke and we geared up to see where the snow pushed the sheep. We spot several rams and around 20 ewes down in the bottom of valley, glassing them we decide there are no legal rams and continue up the valley. The rest of the day is spent enjoying the sunshine and scenery of the snow capped hills. On the way back to camp we spot 3 rams in a position we can get close to them. I drop my pack and head straight up the hill below where the largest ram is bedded. I get within 50 yards and watch him for nearly 45 trying to make him full curl but cant do it. As I decide he isn't the one i allow him to see me and watch as he feeds his way up the hill while it quickly gets dark.P1020011.jpg

163.jpgdesert sheep, goat 2012.jpgDixon Goat sorry.... here are the first 2 photos

c'mon, c'mon.... type faster would ya!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Wednesday started out with blue skies and we decided to venture down Spur Valley to look for rams, glassing a couple of ewe's I spot 2 rams rams bedded down on the side of hill, the spotting scope comes out and right away I know one is a nice ram. We gather our our stuff and continue down the valley towards the rams. I spot a third ram in the area positioned in a spot that would make it difficult to get put a sneak on the bedded sheep. I decide I would go alone and climb up a rock slide to try and get above the rams while my partner kept an eye on them from the bottom. Eventually I climb up parallel to where I could last see the rams. Side hilling over i don't see the third ram that I was worried about, thinking to myself that the sheep probably got up and spooked or are feeding i turn back and continue up the shoot to try and get above where i think they are. Finally, I belly crawl over the last edge i see 4 rams all bedded down in typical ram fashion. I lay prone and range them at 206 yards. The Big ram is quartering to me so i dont have a good shot. I lay there for 20 minutes watching them, I even took this photoP1030013.jpg200 yards, well within my comfort zone, I try to stay patient. Eventually i can't stand it anymore and crawl back up out of the view of the rams and walk back down even with the rams and move over to the last hill between us. I get my rifle ready and ease over, the rams see me and stand up, I put the cross hairs on the big one and let one go. I see immediately it a good hit and he takes 2 step and down he goes. He fall 200 feet down a shoot and I cringe at the possible damage. I let out a yell and raise my arms up in the success.

Walking up to the ram was unreal, I had been obsessed with just making sure he was full curl and this guy was obvious. When I finally get my hands on him I knew he is nice but truly didn't know what he was, He survived the fall without to much carnage and I get the camera out for the photo shoot.P1030024.jpg We finish pictures get him dressed out and back down the hill to camp on cloud nine. Thursday morning we break down camp and I we head out in the sunshine with full packs for the trek back out of ram country P1040040.jpg

Dont know much about sheep..but that is truly a monstor..I know that!. Not many harvested that look that good. Had to be over 40.

Great job! congrats on a great hunt..and thanks for sharing.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Very handsome sheep, congratulations.

Probably an understatement but that guy is huge. Congrats...

12 hours later we make it back to the strip, all of the snow and melt off caused the creeks to rise to the point our wiggys wouldn't allow us to cross so we chose the side hill, alder busting route which was hell! Late that night the meet is hung and tent layed out and we are quick to bed. I had decided to not bring a sat phone thinking my epirb would cover emergencies. It was Friday morning and our pick day was not until Monday we wondered how long it would take to get out. That monday a cub flew over and jumped and waved and we thought he dipped his wing and we hoped maybe word might get to 40 mile that we were ready but the hours went on and no other signs of planes. We had a great dinner that day of backstrap over fire since the ribs had been eaten the first night back at campP1060051.jpgIts funny the ideas you have when you are bored, seriously contemplating walking the 20 more miles out to the road and then the hitchhiking back to TOK. we decide we will wait to make a decision until after the next morning since it seems the air charters have been doing deliveries early before the winds pick up. Saturday starts out with a cub delivering clients just like the day before, not even paying attention to us. Then finally Leaf and Rick with 40 mile flyover from behind and my partner and I high five and quickly gather camp. The planes land and we walk towards them. Leaf grabs my horns and his eyes get big and he asks where I had found that guy. This is the point where I began to realize this sheep might be more than a good ramP1040028.jpg.

AWESOME!!!
    Congrats on that beauty!
    can't wait to hear about the hunt, and i'll tell ya where the kings have been, too.....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Wow, congrats what a great year that is going to be hard to top, two beautiful trophys... You should pack your bags, head to Vegas and put it all on what ever feels right!

Great write up. Always enjoy the stories as much as seeing the fruits of labor. Thank you for sharing. Great Ram!

Default Ram of a liftime

That ram is a thing of beauty. I hoped to bring one in in the next two weeks! Congrats!

Awesome ram! I just talked to Randy at 40 mile, so I know how big it is! Congrats on a FINE ram!

I just love these sheep stories. Congrats on a Great Ram!!! Well earned.

Just so you guys know, danmiotke posted this in the 2012 Alaskan Photo Gallery....

2012 Alaskan Hunting Photo Gallery

Billy 9 7/8 Ram 42"
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast