View Poll Results: should there be preference point system for road accessible hunting areas

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - in all road accessible areas

13 18.06%
  • no

57 79.17%
  • yes - but only in some areas

2 2.78%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: time for preference point system for road accessible areas?

Default time for preference point system for road accessible areas?

I am certain this has been discussed with much abandon...however, I am going to put my two cents worth in....and am seriously considering putting in a proposal to the board of game.

After hunting in Alaska for the last 20+ yrs of my life, I have gotten to the point where I think it is time for a change. I went with my daughter to the purinton creek area to look for a moose on opening day (evening)...holy 'heck'...there were more than 75 rigs parked there! WOWSA!!! I take into consideration the fact that it was opening weekend AND labor day weekend, but dang that is a LOT of people!!! (I don't have a fourwheeler so was hunting on foot, and you guessed it, didn't see a SINGLE person...which was nice, but have hunted by fourwheeler up there before and to say it was a zoo is an understatement)
    I have had miserably similar experiences on the Taylor hwy for caribou/moose and am somewhat reserved about an upcoming trip on the haul road for caribou - given the number of stories I hear of less than ethical hunters.....

Sooooo.....

Would you rather deal with the crowds and scared game animals - with a 'free for all' type hunt or would you rather have a drawing system based upon preference points? ( I highly dislike ADF&G current draw system...)
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I would rather have free access to our resource. If you were on foot then why would you go into purinton? I have 0 problem getting away from people using good ole fashioned boot leather.

The conundrum will be who gets preference, and no agreement will ever be reached there. Where the problem is simply too many people, the only true solution is never palatable; too many hold to the fallacy that unrestricted human population growth and all our associated activities can somehow be sustained and supported indefinitely (the means to which apparently involves keeping ones head firmly embedded in sand). It's true that demand is exceeding supply, but few will be willing to admit that, and fewer still will be willing to voluntarily accept any additional restriction on their 'opportunity', or 'right' as they see it, to continue as always.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Be very careful what you ask for. Point systems are great if you want to hunt once every 10 years or so. I moved to Alaska from Oregon. They have a point system and I would was virtually impossible for me to draw one of the good elk, deer, or antelope tags in my lifetime. Point systems are ok if you are in on the ground floor, but once you draw and your points go back to 0, you may never draw that again.

Excuse the poor grammar, I am on my phone and auto correct got the best of me.

The state already has to many draw areas!For one was my sheep spot!Follow Lujons idea,I rarely run into pepole when hiking from the road.

I think there are enough draw hunts already. What your asking for won't work. Pretty soon there won't be any general harvest. This is just one of the things us hunters have to deal with and makes us explore new areas. Also, some people can only hunt road accessable areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

No, no, no, no, NO!

Point systems make it much more difficult to introduce young hunters and those new to hunting to the pursuit. In the past four years I've had the privilege of taking five people out for their first big game harvest, and now all are able to feed their families healthy, wild meat and in turn have become defenders of hunting and the importance of wild, publicly accessible lands. We need more opportunities to get people involved in hunting, not less.

If we need to restrict hunter numbers (and there are legitimate reasons to do so at times), there can be no fairer way than a totally random draw. The first-time 13 year old hunter should have the same chance at winning a permit as the 40 year old that has been hunting the area for 20 years. First restrict harvest by antler/horn size, then by access means, then by registration or random drawing. As far as I'm concerned, there is never a reason to go to a point system.

Absolutely Not!!!!!!

There is a reason we don't do it the way they do it down there...

Brian said it perfectly. NO POINTS SYSTEM! If you want to discourage new hunters, the best way to do it is a points system. The best way to ENCOURAGE new hunters, and thus new people supporting our activites rather than fighting against us and taking away our opportunities, is to give them an opportunity to hunt from the start.

I am curious as to why you don't like the current draw system? Maybe there is something in there that either could be changed in a positive way or maybe it is a simple case of misunderstanding how it is done (very common).

No Preference Points - It's the worst possible solution to managing hunters.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No, no, no, no, NO!

Point systems make it much more difficult to introduce young hunters and those new to hunting to the pursuit. In the past four years I've had the privilege of taking five people out for their first big game harvest, and now all are able to feed their families healthy, wild meat and in turn have become defenders of hunting and the importance of wild, publicly accessible lands. We need more opportunities to get people involved in hunting, not less.

If we need to restrict hunter numbers (and there are legitimate reasons to do so at times), there can be no fairer way than a totally random draw. The first-time 13 year old hunter should have the same chance at winning a permit as the 40 year old that has been hunting the area for 20 years. First restrict harvest by antler/horn size, then by access means, then by registration or random drawing. As far as I'm concerned, there is never a reason to go to a point system.
    Brian is right. IMO just a antler/horn size restriction should be all you ever need. This allows that only a certain number of animals can be killed and all that could be harvested obviously won't be, leaving plenty to reproduce and sustain the resource. Everyone should have the same chance to draw on any given hunt and not have to know that half of the permits will be going to those with the highest preference points. (that's the way it was in Utah when I lived there). They even have a system down there where you don't even put in for the actual hunt, just for the preference point-ridiculous! The preference point system also encourages people to put in for hunts they care little about to build up points. Let the people who really want to hunt an area all have a fair shot at the draw!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Where the problem is simply too many people,
    Not in a state this big.....just too much restricted access.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Where the problem is simply too many people,
    Not in a state this big.....just too much restricted access.
    See second half of partially quoted sentence.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

More roads like the Denali Highway and Dalton. We need another Wally Hickle.

Default primitive weapons, anyone?

Completely agree that preference points are to be avoided at almost any cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    First restrict harvest by antler/horn size, then by access means, then by registration or random drawing.
    But on this list, I would add weapon-type. Adding a bow or muzzleloader specific hunt can siphon away some of the pressure caused by too many high power weapon hunters. Primitive weapon hunts also have significantly less harvest success, causing less drain on the resource per hunter.

So the bottom line is that more hunters would get to go afield & enjoy the experience, without increasing the number of animals harvested.

NO! Preference points are just a bad deal all around. Open draw for everyone. No reason to change what we have.

I have to 2nd Lujon question; If you were on foot then why would you go into purinton?, and on a three day weekend? It's not like there no other places to hunt. There are several hundred miles of good moose hunting areas right next to the road that will never see a atv or a hunter.

I'm against limiting opportunity. Don't want all draws either. I'm amazed at how loose-lipped people on here are about their moose/caribou or whatever hunting spots. (Not talking particularly about this thread or Puritan Creek.) Others are right, access is the issue, not population. How bout a road to Nome? Or Bristol Bay?

How about we just cover the whole stinkin state with roads and call it arkansas.

Oh, wait...THAT"S BEEN DONE ALREADY!
    #Resist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast