Thread: Port Chalmers anchorage

Default Port Chalmers anchorage

Hey all, running to Mont. in October. Thinking of spending the nights in Port Chalmers on the hook. Anyone have any experience anchoring in there that time of year? Curious how protected it is and how the ground is for holding.

PM me if you want.

Thanks!

Derrick
    Last edited by Brian M; 09-03-2012 at 16:05.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I've spent a few nights there. It felt pretty protected and we held bottom all night. I wasn't out in any major storm but for our stay it was great.

I've heard its kinda rocky.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

What about Stockdale Harbor just north.

Rented a cabin in South Port Chalmers in October a couple of years ago. Anchored about 1/4 mile away in deeper (50-60 ft) water off the further island. Bottom held well both nights.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_ak View Post
    Rented a cabin in South Port Chalmers in October a couple of years ago. Anchored about 1/4 mile away in deeper (50-60 ft) water off the further island. Bottom held well both nights.
    Thanks, did the bay right there ever get much swell or chop?

Just a heads up on Port Chalmers, was dropped off there last October and we stayed in the forest service cabin for 3 nights. Not sure what the low tide was but the last evening we were there, the entire area around the cabin there went dry. As we were leaving the next day, a small fiberglass boat anchored near the cabin and two hunters were heading to shore in a dinghy. We had to stop and tell them their boat would be high and dry by the time they got back as the next low tide was more extreme than the previous day. The area there was fairly well protected from the weather from what I remember, but definitely want to pay attention to the tides.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
    Just a heads up on Port Chalmers, was dropped off there last October and we stayed in the forest service cabin for 3 nights. Not sure what the low tide was but the last evening we were there, the entire area around the cabin there went dry. As we were leaving the next day, a small fiberglass boat anchored near the cabin and two hunters were heading to shore in a dinghy. We had to stop and tell them their boat would be high and dry by the time they got back as the next low tide was more extreme than the previous day. The area there was fairly well protected from the weather from what I remember, but definitely want to pay attention to the tides.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I am looking at anchoring just northeast by where the anchor symbol is on the chart. Looks like it is a little deeper but not as protected.

DMan,

Be quite careful in Port Chalmers. A customer of mine opened up his fiberglass boat, busted off a skeg and dinged two props on an "uncharted" rock in that little anchorage this Spring...methinks a spotter on the bow might be in order.

Iceking02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    DMan,

Be quite careful in Port Chalmers. A customer of mine opened up his fiberglass boat, busted off a skeg and dinged two props on an "uncharted" rock in that little anchorage this Spring...methinks a spotter on the bow might be in order.

Iceking02
    Thanks for the info, do you know where abouts the uncharted rock is. Is it toward the cabin or up in the hook to the northeast?

D-man, here is a picture of the Port Chalmers anchorage taken in 2009. The picture shows the boat in relation to the cabin. Not sure on the location of the rock though. Nice anchorage, good bottom.

DMan,

Just talked to him today. From looking at my wall chart 16701 I think he hit the rock marked 3/4 Fathom marked off of Graveyard Point. Sorry for the bad intel...still looks like total shiite for cruising around without worries. Have you considered Rocky Bay?

IceKing02

Default Port Chalmers anchorage

Thanks guys!

DMan- did you end up going in there? looking at booking the chalmers cabin for a deer hunt next fall.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    DMan- did you end up going in there? looking at booking the chalmers cabin for a deer hunt next fall.
    I did, I didn't go to the cabin but we anchored at the north end of the bay. There were 18 or so huge buoys in there like they were staged for something. Not sure. Weather was good while we were there other than very dense fog so we didn't get to hunt very effectively.

We have Port Chalmers cabin booked for mid-July if you need me to do any specific recon ~ just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I did, I didn't go to the cabin but we anchored at the north end of the bay. There were 18 or so huge buoys in there like they were staged for something. Not sure. Weather was good while we were there other than very dense fog so we didn't get to hunt very effectively.
    I think those bouys are for net pens in the spring when PWSAC does remote releases.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I think those bouys are for net pens in the spring when PWSAC does remote releases.
    Gotcha, I should have taken a picture. It was odd the way they were laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    We have Port Chalmers cabin booked for mid-July if you need me to do any specific recon ~ just let me know.
    That'd be killer! We've got it booked for August, and have never been there. A little local knowledge goes a lot way that far from home!

I fish that area quite a bit in the summer and the buoys are for rearing pens for salmon smolt. They are there most of the summer with a crew from PWSAA.