Thread: Need Advise, purchasing caribou tags question

Default Need Advise, purchasing caribou tags question

I booked a hunt at the last minute for caribou. I only have 9 days before I go. Should I purchase the license on-line? Do I have enough time to get the tags? I will be hunting out of Kotzebue can I get all the licenses there when I arrive?

Thanks for your help!!

Maryland...not by choice

I have found that it is best to get everything done as early as possible. If you can get the license and tags online do it, and that is one less thing you have to worry about when you get here. Good luck on your hunt!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Big Lake

If you're a nonresident, I'd be leery of purchasing the tags online - the locking tag will have to be mailed to you. If you don't get it before you leave, you'll have to buy another in Kotz. Contact your guide/outfitter - either may be able to supply license/tags. Or at least tell you where to get it in Kotz. Or you could probably buy in ANC or FBX on your way through.

I wouldn't count on being able to get any non-resident tags in Kotzebue. When I was there in July, ADFG didn't even have caribou harvest permits since local residents don't need them. My son found the same thing a week later at the AC store.

Buy them in ANC on your way through town. If you don't have time passing through town, buy them online and deliver them to an Alaska address (pilot, outfitter, friend...)
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.