Thread: whittier fishing

Default whittier fishing

I need some help as to fishing for cod, bass, halibut. I would like to try and go here and do some fishing. The only drawback is I have a 17' jon boat with a 60/40 jet so going for miles is out if the question. Is there someplace I can go to catch these fish. I really want to fish here. Please help.

thanks Chris

I don't know if you want to go out there in a jon boat. Though I have seen people in a jon boat all they way out to pigot point.
    Anyways. I know you can pick up some yelloweye and sea bass by the waters falls. Halibut is spotty around the harbor. Closes spot that I know to pick halibut is pigot point.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

try the big underwater humps in port wells if its calm, we used to bring a big canoe out there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Small Boat

I have fished in Pigot bay many times in my 18ft Jon boat with a 90 evinrude jet. I will tell you this. You can check the sea forecast for passage canal and it will say 1-2 ft which is safe. The problem is the area you launch out of can be totally nasty even if it says calm seas. The wind blows off the glacier really bad, especially in april and toward the end of may. I know this because I had the itch to get out there a couple of years ago early and each time I got through the tunnel the winds went from dead calm to gusting really bad. 4 times trying on different days wasted me 80 bucks. I would suggest you wait to the end of May or in June. Honestly if you were smart you would not go out there at all in a boat that small. You are deffinitely taking risk. I am one of those guys who came up short when they were issuing brain cells. If you do go, make sure you are at least prepared to spend the night if the seas come up while you are out there. There are plenty of calm bays to hold up in if it gets rough.

Has anyone tried fishing trinity, bur, or neptune points? Or maybe even shotgun cove or poe bay? I saw these on google earth and had to ask. What about salmon fishing around whittier? If I have too I can ask a co-worker if I can use his boat. He has an 18 foot klamath with twin 70's I think.

Default whittier

If u know where the discharge chute for the fish processing plant is, one can pick up lots of herring for bait and I incidentally got a 175 halibut in 50` of water, 50` off shore right there in downtown Whittier. Of course that was before the road was open.