Thread: Another food thread

Default Another food thread

Well I'm all set when it comes to mountain house, hawk vittles, and back packers pantry. But now I'm looking at the little extras. Like tobacco! Can't live without it! I've seen them come in little ketchup like packages and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get them like that?

Also I was wondering about drying out the canned chunky chicken breast. I know nothing about dehydrating food so if this is a dumb question then my apologies.

I'll probably have more questions later but thanks for any info on the current two!

-Matt

Actually any info on dehydrating my own food would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Well But now I'm looking at the little extras. Like tobacco! Can't live without it! I've seen them come in little ketchup like packages and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get them like that?

-Matt
    I have never seen tabacco sold like that before I used to just smoke it or chew it....LOL
    just giving you crap Matt.. I would much rather have (I carry it for smoked oysters) in a little bottle vs a little plastic bag that can pop easier...

I guess this is true... I was just hoping I wouldn't have to cut off my top button. The bottle puts me over my weight limit!

Below are a couple links to get you started on recipes for dehydrating your own food. It is pretty simple. My wife makes lasagna and spaghetti that we dehydrate and take on our rafting trips, it is almost as good as when made fresh in the kitchen but definitely tops Mt. House or anything along those lines. I'm trying dehydrated shredded canned chicken on this year's trip. I dehydrated browned caribou burger last year and that worked well (for mixing in with the spaghetti sauce). Garbanzo beans and other types of cooked beans are a good one to dehydrate, they make for a convenient high protein snack while out and about. They can be a bit too crunchy for some folks though.

http://www.backpackingchef.com/
    http://www.wildbackpacker.com/backpacking-food/recipes/