Thread: 44 Redhawk with barrel scallops for scope

Default 44 Redhawk with barrel scallops for scope

44 Redhawk with barrel scallops for scope

I have wanted to have a 44 Redhawk with telescopic sight that does not overhang the hammer and finally found one with 7.5" barrel on an auction site for about $520 with no scope, but having scope rings and the scallops for mounting the rings on the top rib of the barrel.

Is that a good price?

Any advice you can give me is appreciated.

This is a Redhawk, not Super Redhawk.

Lost Sheep

yes its a fair price and a fun gun to hunt with

That would be a Redhawk Hunter model. A brand new one retails for $1049.

http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Auction is over. The gun is mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=303342877

$475 plus shipping and FFL fees (anyone know of someone in Anchorage who doesn't charge $50 like the stores do?)

If anyone wants to make a Redhawk "Hunter", there are two barrels on GunBroker

$55
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=303703022

$90
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=304155129

Thanks for the support, all, and especially you, Snhyd, for the link. I do not know if this gun came from the factory with this barrel, but I don't see how that will make any difference to the shooting. How can two pairs of little cuts make that big a difference in marketability?

Lost Sheep

Congrats!

There are at least 3 FFLs in the Valley that ate $10 for a transfer including me. Take a gander at the ďFFLs by stateĒ on Gunbroker, fees and location are listed and I think there were some in town like $25 last I looked.

Default changing barrels..

Congradulations on getting a good deal on a great hunting pistol.

I was checking into getting a Redhawk .44 Mag barrel rebored to .45 Colt at one time so I could get a longer barrel but found the following: http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/88...wk-barrel.html lowegan is a highly regarded Ruger gunsmith and has written a number of books on gunsmithing Ruger pistols. I was also told by my gunsmith that the barrels are almost impossible to remove.

Looks like the barrels for sale may be used and thus probably not useable. I also have to wonder why the barrels would have been removed in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Auction is over. The gun is mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=303342877

$475 plus shipping and FFL fees (anyone know of someone in Anchorage who doesn't charge $50 like the stores do?)

If anyone wants to make a Redhawk "Hunter", there are two barrels on GunBroker

$55
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=303703022

$90
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=304155129

Thanks for the support, all, and especially you, Snhyd, for the link. I do not know if this gun came from the factory with this barrel, but I don't see how that will make any difference to the shooting. How can two pairs of little cuts make that big a difference in marketability?

Lost Sheep
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Congradulations on getting a good deal on a great hunting pistol.

I was checking into getting a Redhawk .44 Mag barrel rebored to .45 Colt at one time so I could get a longer barrel but found the following: http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/88...wk-barrel.html lowegan is a highly regarded Ruger gunsmith and has written a number of books on gunsmithing Ruger pistols. I was also told by my gunsmith that the barrels are almost impossible to remove.

Looks like the barrels for sale may be used and thus probably not useable. I also have to wonder why the barrels would have been removed in the first place.
    Somehow Hamilton Bowen is able to reuse take off Redhawk barrels, so they're necessarily unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Somehow Hamilton Bowen is able to reuse take off Redhawk barrels, so they're necessarily unusable.
    I donít know what Bowen does but simply setting it back a turn or two is all that is needed and that needs to be done to set the gap anyway. However, Ruger does have a problem with constricted bores so before I shelled out Iíd want to know the reason they were pulled. Even if constricted they have uses and value just not good to stick back on at full length.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I donít know what Bowen does but simply setting it back a turn or two is all that is needed and that needs to be done to set the gap anyway. However, Ruger does have a problem with constricted bores so before I shelled out Iíd want to know the reason they were pulled. Even if constricted they have uses and value just not good to stick back on at full length.
    I type faster than I think sometimes....I meant to say they're NOT necessarily unusable.

Congratulations. I bought one about a year ago and it quickly became one of my favorites. So far I have only punched paper with it but it is accurate. I have a blued one with the pachmayr presentation grips.

Default reuseable? Redhawk barrels

Does anyone have an info on how Bowen and the others reuse Redhawk barrels?

Iowegan mentions that there are some work-arounds with Locktite etc. So far Iowegan seems to be the authority on Ruger handguns unless someone else has some better information.

There must be some good reason why Ruger doesn't re-use the barrels. Otherwise it would be a simple fix to remove most of the canted barrels, tun the should down a calculated amount, and the re-install them.

In any event- I'd do a lot of research before I bought a Redhawk barrel with the intention of reusing it. If it were a simple matter like S&Ws or Colts I'd already have a Redhawk .45LC Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Somehow Hamilton Bowen is able to reuse take off Redhawk barrels, so they're not necessarily unusable.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Most reused barrels have threads,sights and billboard removed and start over from scratch. I would just get a Jones TSOB base insted of changing barrels
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default re-bored barrel

My idea was to re-bore a longer .44 barrel to .45 and re-chamber the .44 cylinder I already have to a short .454 dimension wise. .44 Redhawks are considerably cheaper than the .45 LC Redhawks and I can the get the longer barrel on the .44. Other than the rifle rebore I can get the machine work done for free so cost wise I would come out OK plus have a better cylinder.

If you do set the barrel back and recut the threads what happens to the shroud and ejector rod on a Redhawk? Unless you had a full shrouded barrel it looks like you would have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Most reused barrels have threads,sights and billboard removed and start over from scratch. I would just get a Jones TSOB base insted of changing barrels

A Redhawk 44mag cylinder is made of 410 Stainless and canít take 454 pressures if just punched out in a 6 shot cylinder. Now if your talking using a 454 reamer to cut tight 45 Colt chambers for hot 45 Colt that will fly but not 454.

As for setting the barrel back there is usually room to mill the ejector rod slot deeper and/or nip some from the rod itself.

Default .454 dimensions

My intent is to cut a .45 LC chamber to .454 dimensions- the .standard .45 LC dimensions is just too sloppy for modern loads. I've got both a SS and CS cylinder - it would be interesting to know which is actually stronger. My money is on the CS one.

Setting the barrel back a turn or two may work - but not entirely re-cutting the whole treaded shank. Perhaps setting it back a turn or two and getting a tight interference fit may hold it tight enough - esp. with plenty of Locktite. I still wonder what Bowen and the others do to keep the barrels from coming loose.

If I recall a rebore on a pistol barrel is around $150. That is less than the premium of a .45 LC over a .44 Redhawk and you get a longer barrel and a better cylinder. Of course that only is true if the machine work is free! In my case my machinist is a gun nut and loves a challenge.

Another challenge is to figure out how to rifle a pistol barrel at home. Should be less of a challenge than a rifle barrel as the tooling doesn't have to be as stiff etc. and a .45 bore is relatively large.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    A Redhawk 44mag cylinder is made of 410 Stainless and canít take 454 pressures if just punched out in a 6 shot cylinder. Now if your talking using a 454 reamer to cut tight 45 Colt chambers for hot 45 Colt that will fly but not 454.

As for setting the barrel back there is usually room to mill the ejector rod slot deeper and/or nip some from the rod itself.

Aren't we just talking about the Super Redhawk with the long frame and barrels with about 3 inches of thread?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

No its the smaller Redhawk
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you