Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Fatality story in ADN

Default Hunting Fatality story in ADN

I can't even imagine...

http://www.adn.com/2012/09/02/260907...death-for.html

Changes most people's definition of a "successful" hunt. Also a little perplexed at how someone cleans a gun with a round in the chamber???

In any event, I am certainly sympathetic to all involved. What a sad story.

Oh my God.....this is just a shame. I don't care what you are doing with a gun, treat it like it's loaded and ALWAYS know where that barrel is pointed.....

So very sad.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Very Very sad and condolances to the family... I hope for everyone to read this and take it to heart and pray for the family then wake up tomorrow and remember to preach and properly teach gun safety to your kids.... I will...

Just read this story to my boys and discussed gun safety once again. When asked what mistakes were made my boys nailed the firearm handling rules verbatim.

Unbelievably sad story! Prayers for both families.

Another fatality that could've been prevented with standard practice
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Another fatality that could've been prevented with standard practice
    Standard practice that got hammered into me so that it became second nature anytime I am holding a firearm.

Sad sad story.

Without the specifics of the injury I am just going off of what it written in the news article. It sounds like the friend was shot in the leg and bled out rather quickly, the femoral artery was more than likely severed. This causes a huge amount of blood loss and you can die in less than 5 minutes if the bleeding is not controlled. The best way to do that is to apply a tourniquet 2-4 inches above the bleeder. Use something that is 1.5 or 2 inches in width for a tourniquet, this is more comfortable for the person that it is going on and does just as good of a job as something thinner.

Way too many people have died over the years because someone did not apply a tourniquet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Hope everyone has a safe hunting season and we all learn a lesson from this tragic event.

For way too many years (at least 25, probably more) we've been teaching people to never use a TQ unless it is a last resort. That teaching has killed who knows how many hundreds or probably thousands of people. Big bleed? TQ First and Fast! Sort it out later. Every drop of blood that gets out of the circulatory system is a drop closer to death. You have about 6 hours to deal with the TQ, but only seconds to deal with the bleeding.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Im in the military and we get taught all self aid buddy care, my question is. Is there classes out there that are free for the public so people can atleast learn the basics?

Condolances to the Perry family,She lost her husband when we first moved up here now her son
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Prayers go out to the family Please people as stated above treat all guns as if they were loaded
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Still feeling sickened about this I was thinking about something and wondering how many others had seen this behavior:

How many of you have seen somebody hand a firearm to somebody, and the person receiving it just holds it, looks at it, points it and swings it around......pretty much do everything EXCEPT open the action....!!! It's almost like either the person that is getting handed the gun is either scared to open the action, or just doesn't know he/she is supposed to. Holding a gun is not a time to be squeamish. The fact is the action should be opened when handed to you. But if it's not, I don't care what firearm it is, the FIRST thing you do is open the action. If you don't know how then ask the person handing it to you or the owner. DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL THAT ACTION IS OPENED...!!! This extremely simple step I believe would probably stop 99% of the accidents.

I remember reading a long time ago that most accidents happen when guys are standing around in close quarters just holding guns. As far as I'm concerned when a group of guys are standing together holding guns, ALL the actions should be opened. Same when a gun is in the house. This not only tells the person that owns the gun that it is safe, but that anybody walking by can immediately look at the firearm and see that it's safe. The simple fact is that even if there is a live round in the chamber, if the action is opened it can not be accidentally discharged like it is.

Personally I know that I will never stop jumping down people's throats when a barrel swings past me, or I just plain see unsafe behavior with firearms. It's your responsibility to speak up when you see this happen. Don't be afraid to speak your mind to people that should know better, or give direction to younger shooters that may not have been taught properly.

I know that excitement is usually involved when hunting and holding firearms. The excitement causes people to become forgetful and complacent. But people have to be able to curve that excitement at least momentarily when there is a firearm in their hands. All it takes is a moment to check a firearm. And all it takes is a millisecond to kill somebody if you don't.

Obviously the guy that shot his buddy here wasn't really cleaning his gun, because to really clean a gun you clean the inside of the barrel. He was probably just wiping it down. Of course had he opened the action and went to put a cleaning rod down the barrel he would have noticed right away that there was a shell in the chamber.

I know that accidents happen all the time, and me saying what I have will not stop them. But if one person reads this and it saves a life then I'll say it as often as I can.

OPEN THE ACTION.....SAVE A LIFE....!!!!

Don't accept a weapon from anyone unless the action is open or has been opened and presented for your visual inspection prior to being handed over.

Quote Originally Posted by lujon View Post
    don't accept a weapon from anyone unless the action is open or has been opened and presented for your visual inspection prior to being handed over.
    absolutely^^^^^

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't accept a weapon from anyone unless the action is open or has been opened and presented for your visual inspection prior to being handed over.
    My dad taught me the first thing you do when picking up a firearm is to open the action . . regardless . . period.

A friend once handed me, out of his trunk, a reproduction Sharps. I dropped the action and stared at a live .45-70 round in the chamber.

Open the action . . regardless . . period.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I'm a bit on the fence about this. Reason being....yes I totally agree that the action should be opened when handed to you. But you know as well as I that this isn't always going to happen. Have you ever walked into a room and seen a gun being passed around? Obviously if the gun is being handed to you with the action still closed then the guy handing it to you doesn't know any better and/ or is inexperienced with the gun. Do you really want to have him open the action, or possibly hand it back to another guy and maybe yet another, when you could have safely opened it right then and there?

I guess if you walk into a room where a gun is being passed around and the action isn't opened, you could speak out and say "somebody better open that action!". But I believe if I were to come into a room like this, with obviously inexperienced gun handlers, if the gun was about to be handed to me, the responsible/safe thing to do would be for me to open it. And then proceed to tell them all why it should have been opened in the first place.

I use this scenario because I've seen it before. Usually it's in the case of younger folks that just plain haven't been around guns before, or ever, and really need direction. Inevitably a group of kids get together and out pops a gun for all to look at. Somebody has to be the responsible one.

I realize that "most" everyone here is experienced. But I wouldn't doubt it if somebody reading this hasn't been around guns much. To them I'm saying do whatever it takes when a gun is in the room to make sure that the action is opened immediately before being passed around any further.

This is so very sad for BOTH families. Prayers sent their way.

Back in the '80's I owned a sporting goods store in Soldotna. I taught every new clerk I hired that "every gun is a loaded gun " until YOU verify it being unloaded. I would then tell them there will be no second chance. If I see you handling a gun without first checking and opening the action it will mean immediate dismissal.

I had a 1/2 full wooden cigar box of ammo I removed from guns brought in the store loaded. I even had a guy pull out a revolver AIMED right at me and ask if I had a holster to fit. Talk about being nervous. Most folks either didn't know ammo was still in the gun or said yeah, I know but the safety was on. Let's all be vigilant about this issue.

Absolutely gut wrenching. I knew this young man and his father. Cody tried to get into a couple of my hunter safety classes in the years past, but his schedule kept him from attending. Can't help but think that it might have helped
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

So i have a few hours of riding on my hands headed North, Not even a day after someone is killed due to a firearms accident...........

Went to Sportsman's Warehouse earlier on my way out of town with my son. After checking out I was inside the entrance with my son near the picture wall.

You, an older gentlemen, complete stranger, stood at customer service with your hands full, a bag of stuff and a scope; ratcheting a lever action with the barrel pointed either in my face or my sons the whole time, about 6ft away.

You likely won't forget me, nor will I forget you. And hopefully you don't forget gun safety as the entire time this was happening all I thought of was the young guy who died yesterday.

You may have walked in with an unloaded rifle, but I didn't know it; nor did I care.

You almost left the store limping with your rifle hanging out of your rearend.

Never, ever, ever should you walk into a store with an un-cased rifle.

Period.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Good comments all around. Don't forget that with alcohol onboard, things can get a little more dangerous too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast