Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG....STORM Coming

Default BIG....STORM Coming

If you can communicate with hunters afield........

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hop...arnings/341707

unfortunately this has been the worst weather i've seen in NW AK since i've been up here. it seems like rain and wind everyday its awful. doesn't look to be improving anytime soon either. at this rate it might be the worst hunting season up here in a while is what most of the long time locals are saying. miserable conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    If you can communicate with hunters afield........

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/hop...arnings/341707
    Thanks for posting this. Hope everyone stays safe.

I have had 5 camps "Totally" destroyed, two by brown bears and three by 100+ MPH wind. Oops make that 6 camps, one destroyed by avalanche in middle Sept. We left two full curl dead sheep on the mountain. and lost everything. (5 feet of snow in sheep camp on "Rip'Snorter" Mt.) The Outfitter lost 6 full camps. They got everyone out alive and back to Clark E. lodge.

Posted it up on Facebook to make sure the word gets out to the hunters I have friended on there (about 35 of them)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Oh great! Someone said something about indian summer and I just pulled my raingear out of my pack. I think we will have to spend an extra day or two in town at the Bush Co. Ron.

Whats going on with the weather this hunting season. I was stuck out in the feild for an extra two days due to the severe flooding that took place out around the Chickaloon area. River raised above where I could cross them. Trail washed out and left me with 10' drop offs that I have to rebuild before getting an ATV across. during the 6 days out there I was only able to hunt 2 of them.
    I know it is all part of the game, but I swear someone else above me had it out for me this year.
    Must have been because he allowed me a simple successful Sheep and Moose hunt last year. Had to make me earn it all this year and sent me home Wet, Tired, Drained and with no meat for the family!
    lol

We got knocked off the mountain top today while trying to find a goat for my wife. We were up on the summit and had a goat in sight - maybe 40 minutes of ridge-running away. The other factors were that there were two other hunters up there who we didn't want to elbow in on, and the goat in question was a nanny - but that last, incredibly strong gust of wind was what sealed the deal for us. As we drove home tonight in screaming wind we were reassured again and again that we made the right choice. It would be a crappy night to be sitting in bivy bags at 4,000'.

it was certainley not very pleasent in the mountains today especially as the day went on... Brian I hope you and your wife can get another crack at it before the end of the season..

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    I swear someone else above me had it out for me this year.
    Yes, because weather events only affect one guy in one place and God regularly punishes people for being successful.

Seriously though, I thought we'd be past all these global warming weather phenomena by now. I mean Obie has been working on fixing global warming for 3-1/2 years now. Wonder what's taking them so long to stabilize the weather patterns into a Utopian ideal?

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Just flew in from a caribou hunt in the Alphabet hills with the bossman. Roughest plane ride I've ever been on, hour and ten minute rollercoaster ride. Hope everyone else makes it home safely too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    it was certainley not very pleasent in the mountains today especially as the day went on... Brian I hope you and your wife can get another crack at it before the end of the season..
    We'll certainly try. If the weather shines on us for a day or two, I think we've got a realistic chance at it, though unfortunately we're mostly locked in to weekends. We covered a lot of ground yesterday and today and figured out what might work (and many things that will not work), so it was well worth the wet, slippery climbing. I sure hope we can make it happen - my wife has paid her dues and then some between our sheep and goat hunting this year.

Default BIG....STORM Coming

Man this sucks!! I hope I'm not grounded this week.

Anyone in FBX comment on the weather?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

The weather in Fairbanks was fine today, around 60 and half sunny.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We'll certainly try. If the weather shines on us for a day or two, I think we've got a realistic chance at it, though unfortunately we're mostly locked in to weekends. We covered a lot of ground yesterday and today and figured out what might work (and many things that will not work), so it was well worth the wet, slippery climbing. I sure hope we can make it happen - my wife has paid her dues and then some between our sheep and goat hunting this year.
    Was thinkin' bout you two up there today Brian. Glad you made it out safe and sound......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The weather has been pretty bad. It was a true test of prepardness this season. We left two days early since we had bagged our bou early but the whole ride out I was sweating the last river crossing. Rain and wind seem to be the normal these days.

Default Weather

Since were on the subject and I know this is a little further inland but my son and I are headed out for my DCU hunt tomorrow. Anyone have any current weather for that area?

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    Since were on the subject and I know this is a little further inland but my son and I are headed out for my DCU hunt tomorrow. Anyone have any current weather for that area?
    Check Weather Underground...but in short we are under wind advisory- gusts to 50mph. Couple of trees came down last night.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Check Weather Underground...but in short we are under wind advisory- gusts to 50mph. Couple of trees came down last night.
    Not good flying weather for sure. Talked to Jim C. and we're on hold till tomorrow evening. Looks like there maybe a small window to get us in then. Fingers are crossed.

spent the morning cancelling trips for the next two days and picking up folks who needed to be on this side. hoping to get out for kings the minute the weather settles, cause it's been hot!!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast