Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fur coats warmest?

Unhappy Fur coats warmest?

I'm a man, and want to know if people recommend getting a fur coat. I live in Philadelphia, not Alaska. I thought Alaskans might be good to ask for advice.

It's not easy for me to get warm in the winter. I have a L.L. Bean Baxter State parka. It's their warmest coat. It doesn't keep me as warm as I'd like when it gets to around 30 degrees, maybe when it's even less cold than that.

I have heard that fur is the warmest kind of coat, but I rarely see or hear of anyone wearing it. I wonder if it would be worth it for me to buy, and maybe be comfortable in winter for a change. I don't know if I'd spend hundreds on a coat though.

Perhaps there are cheaper ways to be warm. I'd love to hear suggestions.

Of course lots of people up here wear fur, as we don't really care if it's not politically correct or not like a lot of the lower 48 does. Indeed a good fur coat can be very warm. But I have to say that those real nice big heavy down coats that Cabella's sells are very nice as well as warm.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A fur coat isn't going to be much warmer than that jacket. A simple fleece jacket layered under your coat would substantially increase its warmth.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I already wear a sweater or a fleece pullover under my jacket. I wear thermal underwear too.

Do you think a Cabella coat will be much warmer than my L.L. Bean parka?

I have a sheep's skin long coat I had made in Turkey years ago. It is too warm for anything but sitting at a football game at zero degrees and it weights at least 15 lbs....go with quality down!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Fur coats warmest?

If all those clothes aren't keeping you warm at 30, then you have a problem with your body.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If all those clothes aren't keeping you warm at 30, then you have a problem with your body.
    I wonder if he's getting so overdressed that he's sweating.

No. I'm not sweating.

I wear a neck gaiter, thick gloves, a scarf and a knit cap, they help. I wonder if some expensive thermal underwear would help much.

If a simple down VEST won't do the fob (and it ususally does !), get yourself a good goose down JACKET or COAT.

Native Alaska Eskimos wore caribou PARKAS, hair side IN. Still, goose down beats that, doesn't smell, and is as light as anything you can wear. DO NOT GET IT WET !!!

This opinion comes from 36-years in the Alaska outback, where temperatures often saw -60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Agreed...you may not need a new coat, you may need a doctor. I generally don't wear a coat at all until below freezing- but I layer well and have pretty high metabolism.

If you get that cold at mild temps you may have a metabolism issue.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Layers man layers... under the coat.. Philly doesnt get that cold but those winds in the winter will bite you..

you could always move some place like arizona...

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How many more layers? I already wear a coat, sweater, shirt, long johns, and a t-shirt. Should I wear a fleece over the sweater, or two pairs of long johns?

I already wear a L.L. Bean Baxter State parka.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    If a simple down VEST won't do the fob (and it ususally does !), get yourself a good goose down JACKET or COAT.

Native Alaska Eskimos wore caribou PARKAS, hair side IN. Still, goose down beats that, doesn't smell, and is as light as anything you can wear. DO NOT GET IT WET !!!

This opinion comes from 36-years in the Alaska outback, where temperatures often saw -60 degrees Fahrenheit.

I think like has been said you need a doctor not a coat

Quote Originally Posted by captain-cool View Post
    I already wear a L.L. Bean Baxter State parka.
    By way of context, I run dogs in the interior, and I am baffled that that's not already more than warm enough. I think you're wearing too much as it is, frankly, and if you're sure you're not sweating (I still think you might be) I'd start looking at extremities (hats, gloves, boots/socks). Otherwise I think the people who suggest you see a doctor are right.

I also think you're probably not going to find Alaskans very helpful for this particular question - you should ask people who have experience with your local conditions, not with weather that's radically different.

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    By way of context, I run dogs in the interior, and I am baffled that that's not already more than warm enough. I think you're wearing too much as it is, frankly, and if you're sure you're not sweating (I still think you might be) I'd start looking at extremities (hats, gloves, boots/socks). Otherwise I think the people who suggest you see a doctor are right.

I also think you're probably not going to find Alaskans very helpful for this particular question - you should ask people who have experience with your local conditions, not with weather that's radically different.
    I am one with experience in his weather( born and bred in Philly) cold is cold... winds seem to bite more there cause of the humidty factor..but no comparison to cold here of course... I honestly feel for him but seriously think he needs a doctor....

Thanks for the advice. I can't remember if I ever asked a doctor about this. Anyway, I guess I won't shop for a fur coat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast