Thread: Caribou hunting on the Dalton

Default Caribou hunting on the Dalton

This will be my first time. I have an experienced buddy with me and I have my gear. Not looking forward to that 5 mile hike

Is there some sort of hotline or radio station that tracks the location and movements of the caribou up there? Also, I know what the regs say but really, you can't haul meat in an ATV? Should I even bother bringing it?

Leave the ATV at home you can not use it up there. Unless you want to donate it to the state when you get caught riding it on the tundra. The bowhunting forum has a long thread on the haul road, I would check with those guys. Good luck, it's one of the hardest hunts you will ever do. But I guarantee you will want to head right back up and do it again a week after you get home.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Haha duly noted. Thanks, I'm really excited.

Yeah dont drive anything on the tundra. If you do a little searching, you can find a great example or two of why not to drive onto the tundra up there. It can get real expensive and you will make tons of enemy's!! I have a buddy who just got back last night. Out of two of them they only managed one bull, about a 6 foot brownie, and a busted out rear window.

Study the topo map, there are a couple places where you don't have to hike the whole 5 miles on foot and you don't have to take your vehicle off roading so to speak. We checked out all that last year and saw nothing but wolves, though.

Quote Originally Posted by omar View Post
    Also, I know what the regs say but really, you can't haul meat in an ATV? Should I even bother bringing it?
    You have to be kidding me?! Go read the regs and that will tell you. Better yet just stay at home so we don't have to read about you two yahoo's in the news papers and hear about you on the nightly news. Good God what is wrong with people?!
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

This is why you don't go off-roading from the Dalton:

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/info/new...ass.print.html
    "Your papers are not in order"

Also, I know what the regs say but really, you can't haul meat in an ATV? Should I even bother bringing it?

Yes, the regs mean what they say! The only ATVs allowed up there are your legs.

Also, when they say 5 miles they mean 5 miles, not 4.9 miles. They check people with aircraft up there.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Also with that 5 mile rule, drive up the road a ways from where you intend to go in and make sure it doesn't curve in. It would really suck if you walked in 5 miles, shot a caribou, then got checked by AST and found out that the road had a corner a mile up and you were only 4.5 miles in from that corner. It's a pain in the butt I know, but you will walk in confident that you are legal.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Also with that 5 mile rule, drive up the road a ways from where you intend to go in and make sure it doesn't curve in. It would really suck if you walked in 5 miles, shot a caribou, then got checked by AST and found out that the road had a corner a mile up and you were only 4.5 miles in from that corner. It's a pain in the butt I know, but you will walk in confident that you are legal.
    that happens a lot I have heard.. I just seen somewhere and cant find it but it was a link to something for a gps that put the boundry in your unit so you know when you are out of the corridor

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    that happens a lot I have heard.. I just seen somewhere and cant find it but it was a link to something for a gps that put the boundry in your unit so you know when you are out of the corridor
    3 posts up in #8, its part of troutnut's signature line or whatever its called

Yep, I really worried about that in my head when planning a sheep hunt (which ended up getting pushed back to next summer by work)... what if I find a ram somewhere right near 5 miles? I'll avoid doing something of uncertain legality at all costs (can't stomach the feeling of wondering and worrying), but I really don't want to ever have to pass on a legal animal because I'm not quite sure. So, being a math geek I thought it would be fun to figure out how to map the exact 5-mile boundary. It was a fun project, but was a lot harder than I expected and took a while to get it right, so I decided to see if I could make a few bucks for my sheep hunt fund by selling it online. I'm grateful to the early customers who have bought me about four Mountain House meals.

Like Matt said, the link's in my signature for anyone who's interested, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Jason
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post

Yep, I really worried about that in my head when planning a sheep hunt (which ended up getting pushed back to next summer by work)... what if I find a ram somewhere right near 5 miles? I'll avoid doing something of uncertain legality at all costs (can't stomach the feeling of wondering and worrying), but I really don't want to ever have to pass on a legal animal because I'm not quite sure. So, being a math geek I thought it would be fun to figure out how to map the exact 5-mile boundary. It was a fun project, but was a lot harder than I expected and took a while to get it right, so I decided to see if I could make a few bucks for my sheep hunt fund by selling it online. I'm grateful to the early customers who have bought me about four Mountain House meals.

Like Matt said, the link's in my signature for anyone who's interested, and feel free to PM me with any questions.
    That truly is a very valuable tool and great for you to do it. They should make this or a link to it a sticky so it doesn't get lost in the forum pages

If you carry a GPS there's a simple way to do it. Drive up and down the Haul Road about 10 miles in both directions from your starting point and drop waypoints every 500' or so. Then start hiking in. Your proximity to those waypoints will tell you when you're more than 5 miles from the nearest point on the road. That's what we did last year anyway.

Default Gear Selection - GPS

Just bought your 5 mile corridor map....do you recommend a specific GPS? Also, to as a question to others in this thread, does anyone have a favorite go to GPS? I know there are threads specifically about GPS, but I thought this discussion might go well with the gear part of this thread.

Thanks, SlyOne!

For compatibility with my haul road corridor map, pretty much any GPS should work, since the map comes stored as a track in the standard GPX format. As far as I know it has worked for everyone who downloaded it. One guy had some trouble with an older version of Garmin MapSource (which has been replaced by BaseCamp) that apparently has issues with some GPX files, but he ran the file through a converter and it worked. In the unlikely event that anyone else has that problem, I'll be happy to help fix it ASAP.

For general GPS advice, I did quite a bit of research before buying a new unit last year and settled on a Garmin 62s, which has been well recommended on this forum and lots of other places. You can subscribe to their BirdsEye service and get aerial photos (not great quality) and the main USGS topos (full quality) right on your GPS screen. You can also overlay your own custom maps of small areas (for example, I did the UAF ski trail map) but the process for that is sort of involved and annoying. Fancy features aside, though, it's just an all-around solid GPS with exceptionally good signal acquisition (even in a compartment under the dash in my car!), a large screen with good visibility, distinct buttons that are easy to press, good battery life, etc. They got the little things right. I wanted to stay away from touch-screen models so I can work my GPS with gloves on, and I think that was a good decision.

Biggest piece of advice: Don't put your fancy new GPS in a crappy old pocket! I lost mine on the first trip out last year, and it's gut-wrenching searching a couple miles of tundra for your expensive lost gadget and thinking, "If only I had a device that would allow me to perfectly retrace my steps!" I eventually found mine in a spot where I'd stopped to belly crawl to sneak up on some birds, and now I keep that sucker in a very well zippered pocket or on the sturdy carabiner it came with.
    Jason