Thread: Moose hunting help!

Post Moose hunting help!

Hi I'm new to moose hunting and was trying to get some tips. I've hunted since I was big enuff to walk but in tennessee and not sure of moose habits. Hows the best way to hunt them? Any good places within 100 miles from fairbanks? any help would be awesome! I have rifle and bow and ready to use either one.

Do you have an atv, boat, canoe, raft, horses, plane to hunt with? Or are you on foot?

Why are you asking after the season has started?

Have you read the regulations? Are you a resident?

Mornings and evenings are the most productive but they do get up in the afternoon and feed some at that time or move from one area to the next.

Most people spot and stalk then, some call them in, and others bump and shoot them.

I have a ATV and a good set of legs. I can use either one. I know I'm alittle late on asking info. I have read the reg and got them memorized. I am a resident. What is bump and shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Bennett View Post
    Any good places within 100 miles from fairbanks?
    Are you a resident? unit 20 has restrictions on non-res hunters that make it hard to find a spot.

goldstream valley
    creamers field
    tanana flats
    north of fox near the bruns from a few years ago.

Moose hold up in thick cover near water, or they wander around for miles and miles. depends on their mood.
    get up high and glass. dont shoot one in a swamp. dont shoot one further than a half mile from your transportation.

I know I'm alittle late on asking info. I have read the reg and got them memorized.
    Well you're already ahead of just about everyone else in the state who isn't a lawyer, and this includes some LEOs I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    dont shoot one further than a half mile from your transportation.
    What perfect world do you live in......???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a question that will fit right in with this. Once that magical rut light switch goes off, do you guys stay in the woods daylight till dark like whitetail hunters do or do you still just hunt mornings and evenings? Not trying to hijack your thread, just figured this info would help you as much as it does me!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyhuntinAK View Post
    I have a question that will fit right in with this. Once that magical rut light switch goes off, do you guys stay in the woods daylight till dark like whitetail hunters do or do you still just hunt mornings and evenings? Not trying to hijack your thread, just figured this info would help you as much as it does me!
    I hunt mornings and evenings, but I secretly hope not to spot a legal bull at dusk because the last thing I want to be doing is dressing and hauling meat out through the muskeg in the dark all night long. My favorite way of hunting moose is to paddle a canoe around a lake that has really marshy edges. But be warned, when they're shot they have a tendency to run downhill, even if that means right into the middle of the swamp. If they die out there, you're in for a cold, wet workout.

The season closes before the rut light switch gets turned off in most areas.

What is bump and shoot?
    Walking slowly through an area that you think contains moose and when you see one judge it and see if it is legal, or sometimes you bump one that is laying down it will get up and you judge it then. I am sure there is some other term for this.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Walking slowly through an area that you think contains moose and when you see one judge it and see if it is legal, or sometimes you bump one that is laying down it will get up and you judge it then. I am sure there is some other term for this.
    I call it oh sh*t and shoot....

While in the rut, bulls will stay pretty active a bit later in the morning than usual. If they have the cows they will rest a little in late morning. Bulls without cows will still tend to wander around searching. I've heard young bulls literally calling all day long. If you were calling early in the morning and had a bull respond but did not come into the call, there is a good chance he had cows with him. If this is the case very slowly work toward him using a scapula, horn, or cut down plastic jug to tap on trees and bushes as you do. A bull with cows may not respond to you at a distance, but they will come and challenge if they think the opposition is getting too close. And that will happen at all times of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    The season closes before the rut light switch gets turned off in most areas.
    Around here the season closes before the rut light ever even gets the chance to come on.....

Take a look up off the Steese HWY, The Rosie Creek wood cutting area, Yukon Training area, Chena Hot springs road, Elliot HWY, and Donnelly training areas.

All of those areas have tons of atv trails and or you could walk.

the biggest mistake you could do would be to compare a moose to a whitetail.. they may be in the same family but they tend to at times in my opinion exibit completely different habbits... I have taken most moose between the hours of 11am and 1pm morning here during changes everyday with the shorting of daylight.. As said most seasons are closed before rut ends and some before it starts... moose move all times of day...the reason more get seen early and late is simple thats when most hunters hunt.. during the rut as said things can be a little different bulls with cows do whatever the cows want to do and the other bulls will be looking for cows to boss them around...

Default Advice

Dustin, good for you for being so candid and asking for advice. It's the first step. Here are some tips-this a huge question and there's lots of good advice on this site, and in publications out there--here's my take--but understand each chapter of a moose hunt has a lot of information. From shot selection, to how to field dress, to game care, to calling, etc. Here's a short list:

-Know your GMU, and make sure you are where you think you are, then when that bull walks your way and you think he's legal you'll be good. Verify with GPS well before you start hunting.
    -The type of hunting you do will depend on the area's topography and browse. First, find good sign, tracks, rubs, etc. In thickly forested areas, you'll be woods hunting. -Call, scrape, stop listen. Slowly walk 30 yards. Stop, repeat. Listen, listen, and listen again for moose coming your way. They will make noise and you will hear them. Repeat.
    -In open areas where you get some elevation it's calling and glassing. (don't overlook scraping and glassing, we've had scraping bring in cows with bulls following behind) In this type of hunting you'll be behind the binos all day and using your ears to listen for responses via thrashing or grunting. (see youtube, type in "moose calls" or "moose hunting" so you'll know what to listen for. Books devote whole chapters to calling and moose vocalizations.
    -For calling and scraping, go to Sportsmans and get a Bull magnet, $40, it will last you forever. (check out youtube to see how it works) Calling is easier than you think, and it's fun and effective. And one call can be more effective than the other depending on the time of year, the particular area and the particular bull.
    -Get a good freighter pack and heavy cotton game bags. Don't scrimp on bags, you can use them next year and the year after and more. When you get your bull back to camp keep the meat elevated, and cool, clean and dry. (cool should not be a problem where you're at) Spray it with "Gamesaver" just in case it warms up (also available at Sportsmans, but I don't live in FBX so don't know if your store carries it) (For more info on that, see Doug Drum's "Indian Valley Meat" website for info on game care in the field) It works, we're sold on it.

That should get you started. Suggest you also look in the library section here and look at the books by Strahan, Batin and Tony Russ on hunting, techniques and getting in shape and staying there. Packing a hindquarter out, and the rest of a big bull is a humbling experience, no matter where you're at physically. The publications by the authors above (they should be available at Barnes and Noble too) all have great info in them that you can build on and cover almost every conceivable base. If you aren't successful this year consider it experience well spent and mold what you've learned in the field from the info in the publications you'll be reading. Book smart to field smart. Sounds like you'll learn quickly.

Finally, the best part is simply being out there, and it seems you've got that part down. Take a camera, take some good snaps, start a photo log for the future. You won't regret doing that down the road. That's about all I can muster given time constraints and before I turn this into a novella. Good luck.