Thread: Enough rifle for Alaska

Default Enough rifle for Alaska

Howdy folks,

Question on long guns for hinting in Alaska

Is a .308 caliber big enough for game up there? I'm more talking about moose or caribou. Not really interested in bear at this time, but that may change

Bob

Wy wife and kids shoot a 7mm-08 with 150 gr. bullets. That's a necked down version of the .308 and it's had no problem dropping caribou. As i'm sure many others on here will tell you it's more about shot placement than caliber...to a certain extent.

My kids use a .243 with 100gr Nosler Partitions for everything from black bears to moose and it does the job without any issues.

Yes a .308 win will be plenty of cartridge for Alaskan game if you use good bullets and put the shots where they count. My niece used one on her bison and it performed perfectly.

I was thinking it was; just wanted to ask the experts.

Been a fan of the 308 forever. I have a remington 700 that I normally use but recently picked up a Savage Hog Hunter in 308. I scoped it and it makes 2" groups at 200 yards. Its pretty compact too

Bob

If you can kill em with a bow a .308 will do just fine, I am convinced that with todays bullets a guy doesnt need to shoot a magnum caliber gun. That being said I have started to take my .308 on our trips for caribou nice to carry a lighter rifle without alot of recoil... I know some of the other guys on here use the .308 for pretty much everything... Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    My kids use a .243 with 100gr Nosler Partitions for everything from black bears to moose and it does the job without any issues.

Yes a .308 win will be plenty of cartridge for Alaskan game if you use good bullets and put the shots where they count. My niece used one on her bison and it performed perfectly.
    Aren't you supposed to have a 200 grain bullet to kill a bison? Regs state so.

I hunted for several years exclusively with a .308 and got excellent results. I still occasionally hunt with one.

FWIW- the modern .308 loadings carry the same ballistics that made the .30-06's reputation through the 30s and 40s and there's no flies on that... and modern bullets are inestimably better. Something on the order of a 150gr AB out of a .308 would be a good choice for either moose or caribou.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Aren't you supposed to have a 200 grain bullet to kill a bison? Regs state so.
    Did I say she did not use one? Last time I checked .30 caliber bullets were in weights of 200gr or better. Maybe you need to go back and check your reloading manual and see whats in the shelf for bullets at the store?

Thanks for sharp shooting me though!

And in case you are wondering there is a little more to the regulation statement than it just has to be a 200gr bullet.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

308 is plenty of gun. Take a good look at balistics charts though. I wouldn't consider it a long range gun on big game. As to your statement you won't be hunting bear, that has to be a consideration when hunting any big game in Alaska. See what your gun and loads will do at 25 yards and less... because thats the range you're looking at for killing a bear in a non-hunting situation. For factory loads, Federal Premium and Safari grade do very well in the calibers I've shot them in.

Did I say she did not use one? Last time I checked .30 caliber bullets were in weights of 200gr or better. Maybe you need to go back and check your reloading manual and see whats in the shelf for bullets at the store?

Thanks for sharp shooting me though!

And in case you are wondering there is a little more to the regulation statement than it just has to be a 200gr bullet.
    Lol was just curious. I know what weights the bullets come in thank you very much. No need to get all defensive. 200 grain is about the max out of a .308. I don't shoot one so doesn't bother me what you use.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone131 View Post
    Lol was just curious. I know what weights the bullets come in thank you very much. No need to get all defensive. 200 grain is about the max out of a .308. I don't shoot one so doesn't bother me what you use.
    People tend to get defensive when post they make on here or anywhere else are called out as possibly stating something illegal. Pretty sure your post was the third or fourth time I have been told something I did was illegal, and quite frankly it is getting real old when all people have to do is go read the hunting regulations and learn for themselves.

People tend to get defensive when post they make on here or anywhere else are called out as possibly stating something illegal. Pretty sure your post was the third or fourth time I have been told something I did was illegal, and quite frankly it is getting real old when all people have to do is go read the hunting regulations and learn for themselves.
    Fair enough. End of story

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hastings View Post
    I was thinking it was; just wanted to ask the experts.

Been a fan of the 308 forever. I have a remington 700 that I normally use but recently picked up a Savage Hog Hunter in 308. I scoped it and it makes 2" groups at 200 yards. Its pretty compact too

Bob
    According to Savage the "Hog Hunter" has a 1:10 twist, you should be able to get 200 grn bullets to stabilize in your rifle at 308 velocities. You'll probably get the best results from 165 grn bullets for hunting; Bison just happen to be a legal exception to the rule.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    See what your gun and loads will do at 25 yards and less... because thats the range you're looking at for killing a bear in a non-hunting situation
    I'm hoping to have my Remington 1100 slung for bear

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    According to Savage the "Hog Hunter" has a 1:10 twist, you should be able to get 200 grn bullets to stabilize in your rifle at 308 velocities. You'll probably get the best results from 165 grn bullets for hunting; Bison just happen to be a legal exception to the rule.
    Not really worried about Bison right now. If I get a chance to hunt them, I'll go with something bigger

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hastings View Post
    I'm hoping to have my Remington 1100 slung for bear
    You are planning on carrying a shotgun and rifle at the same time?

We've had great success using the 165 grain accubonds on our .308 model 70. My son will be carring it this year for moose, same rifle has taken 3 moose with outstanding results ~ the one in my avatar on the left was taken with this same setup last year by my dad.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am