Thread: what winch you using

Default what winch you using

looking for a new winch for my arctic cat 550 thinking about getting a viper..just curious of some opinions of guys that use their winches....

thanks
    Dave

Just replaced a factory Warn 2.5ci yesterday. To keep it simple I replaced it with the current Warn RT25. I like the hub release but it fits just a little differently. It needs more room on the machine's right side and that required some work on the nose shroud with a dremel to make room. Simple enough to do, and worth it since all the original control wiring stayed. The new winch is quieter and the hub release is way better than anything I've used before.

Other winch brands may fit the Warn mount. Don't know, don't care. Warn has earned it's keep with me.

Oops. I meant the machine's left side. Right as viewed from the front. The reel/drum/hub release is larger, mostly due to a big, hollow red fixture that pops right off. Still needed to trim a little, but lose the red thing and it'll save some cutting. The release only rotates about 30* to switch from locked to free wheel. Nice.

I use the RT40 but have heard a lot of good about the viper. They are inexpensive and come standard more than the Warn does. I have only heard of one person sending theres in for repairs but then I have sent my Warn in for repairs also.

RT25 Warn, plenty of winch for my needs...for as often as you use one, hauling a bigger, heavier one than you need around...doesn't make much sense....when my cable wears out,(if it ever does) I'm going to lighten it up with a synthetic rope...

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    RT25 Warn, plenty of winch for my needs...for as often as you use one, hauling a bigger, heavier one than you need around...doesn't make much sense....when my cable wears out,(if it ever does) I'm going to lighten it up with a synthetic rope...
    I wouldn't wait to replace that line. Once you go synthetic you will never go back. It is only $60 at AIH and worth every penny. One of the best parts about it is if it breaks, it just falls to the ground. No need to use a deadman or anything. That safety part is enough for me to never use wire again. Plus you just tye another not at the break and your good to go. It floats, it,s lighter, doesn't poke your hands with burrs and it's safer in case of breakage.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I wouldn't wait to replace that line. Once you go synthetic you will never go back. It is only $60 at AIH and worth every penny. One of the best parts about it is if it breaks, it just falls to the ground. No need to use a deadman or anything. That safety part is enough for me to never use wire again. Plus you just tye another not at the break and your good to go. It floats, it,s lighter, doesn't poke your hands with burrs and it's safer in case of breakage.
    You aint kiddin when I was in the USCG we seen the aftermath of what happens when rope(steel) breaks and it is not pretty I think no matter what winch I choose it will have the synthetic on it and I believe I can order a viper pre loaded with it also...
    thanks for the replies fellas..

For most things ATV I still prefer steel cable. I have synthetic on the wheeler that I use to plow snow and for that synthetic's a big plus. For pulling my over logs and such, steel is my preference.

RT and XT warn winches are exactly the same except the XT comes with synthetic line for $40 extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    For most things ATV I still prefer steel cable. I have synthetic on the wheeler that I use to plow snow and for that synthetic's a big plus. For pulling my over logs and such, steel is my preference.

RT and XT warn winches are exactly the same except the XT comes with synthetic line for $40 extra.

thanks Mr Pid and thats a great point I have heard the weak link in synthetic is not using something to keep it from chaffing(sp?)

In either case the winch lines don't break without warning. Inspect then and replace them when they become frayed or kinked. I bet you'll replace synthetics a lot more often. I know I do. If safety's your big concern get a remote control for the winch and stay out of line with the cable when it's loaded up. Remote controls are common with these winches these days. I still use a handlebar rocker on the plow wheeler for obvious reasons. But these ATVs are relatively light work for these cables. Funny thing, the heaviest winch I have and use is a Lewis Winch. Steel cable, no place to operate it other than in line with the cable, and it isn't unusual to have two snatch blocks on the line. I keep a couple of canvas tarps around to toss over the line when pulling heavy loads with it. Never had a line break. I'm careful to inspect it every time I pay it out.

Back to the original question, Viper's are an outstanding winch. Used to be you could get a discount from their website motoalliance.com when you mentioned you saw them on Highlifter's, Aurora Wheeler forum, or the Polaris Ranger Forum. In the past nearly everyone I rode with replaced their Warns with Viper's after seeing how dependable and durable mine was, none regretted it. When I have to buy another winch, it will be a Viper. The best customer service you'll ever receive as well.

I have a Viper Max 4500lb winch with the synthetic line on my rhino. I finally got to put it to real use this past few weekends. It performed flawlessly in the times I had to use it, had plenty of power. Even had to use to winch me out of a water crossing that had dam'd up that I thought I could cross and my coil got wet. Just about got water in the engine but the Viper was able to pull me out of the dam'd up crossing onto dry land, without completely killing my battery. Pretty impressed with it so far, especially for the price I payed for it($250 shipped). Planning on getting another one for the rear of my rhino. I've also had good luck with the Ramsey 2500 winch on my other four wheeler, never let me down once and I used it a LOT(Honda's= 3 wheel drive lol).

Use a super winch, tera winch. A plain super winch shipping included for a 3000 lb is only 125 bucks or so. works great especialy at that price!