Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muck Boots for hunting in the interior

Default Muck Boots for hunting in the interior

Guys, I have been hunting caribou (40 mile herd) and moose off the Elliot Highway this year. My issue Army boots get wet and soaked (especially when it rains)....but they are very comfortable and work well for walking long distance. Have any of you guys used or currently use Muck Boots? The muck boots look to be water proof, but I don't know how comfortable they would be hiking across the tundra. I have some hip waders, but man they are heavy (probably would work great on a float hunt, but not on a tundra hunt). Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    b

I live in muck fieldblazers almost year around. They don't work well on tundra though. Too many places to roll an ankle. I would look for something with some more ankle support. I wear my plastic mountaineering boots (Koflachs) when hunting out there. Pair them up with some gaitors and you pretty much have a nice set of knee high waterproof boots.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Muck Boots for hunting in the interior

My toes pound the end of my muck boots on uneven terrain and hurt like heck. Lots of folks love them but I plan to change to extratoughs or lacross next year.

I'm on my 5th season of a pair of Lacrosse Alphaburly ankle fit mudboots that I also use year-round. They finally gave up the ghost this year and started to leak a bit but after the use I gave 'em, I can't complain. I rarely put on anything else while moose hunting anymore....

I take that back, they're Lacrosse Alpha II boots....

I used Muck boots for hunting in the tundra and I liked them; you do have to pay attention to foot placement up there though, no matter what you're wearing. What I found is after crossing through ankle deep water for long enough, I'd swear the water would start seeping through. Maybe it's just perspiration or my imagination... I don't know. I think any good rubber boot should keep your feet DRY in any water shallower than the top of the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I live in muck fieldblazers almost year around. They don't work well on tundra though. Too many places to roll an ankle. I would look for something with some more ankle support. I wear my plastic mountaineering boots (Koflachs) when hunting out there. Pair them up with some gaitors and you pretty much have a nice set of knee high waterproof boots.
    I too, pretty much live in my muck boot fieldblazers. The field blazers are better fit on the ankles by far than the other model muck boots. I wear them well into the winter and with good socks will keep one warm. The moistness one may feel may well be perspiration. I have sweated in them, no doubt. They also puncture thru the neoprene portion fairly easy. They can be fixed as easy with aqua seal. I have not used them on tundra. I own a couple three pairs now and really like them over extra tufffs.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I have the Field Blazers too, I like them, but not without some reservations. I think the neoprene holds moisture, both the exterior water and the interior persperation and it makes them uncomfortable. I also don't like to wear them for long walks or on the tundra for reasons already stated. If you are going knee high, go with the Alphaburlys. I prefer good stable hiking/hunting boot with goretex and a gaitor. I did that on a caribou hunt a couple of weeks ago and the gaitors did the trick.

I've got some Mucks, Lacrosse Alphas and I think BOGS...

I wouldn't wear any of them to walk any distance on tundra- particularly hauling a load. Those are great boots in their element, but tundra isn't it IMHO.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Guys, thanks for the feedback. What are the gaitors? I will have to google that. Again, thanks for your time.

These are the ones I am currently using. You can buy them at sportsmans.

http://www.rei.com/product/725915/ou...gaiters-unisex
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I also have some Outdoor Research gaitors, but they are the Rocky Mountain something or other. They were $37 at Prospector Outfitters in Fairbanks.

I just switched from extra toughs to Mucks. Thank goodness as the extra toughs will be put into retirement or up for sale at my garage sale. Used the mucks on a "mountain" caribou hunt this weekend. Up a creek, up the mountain into 3-4" of snow and back down. Boots were awesome! I would have much rather had on my hanwags, but the mucks were very comfortable and great to walk long distance in. I am impressed.

My father and I both used MuckBoots when we came up for a hunt in 2011. I thought they worked great until I got them filled with water, but even after short time by the fire they were dry again. If you choose to get the MuckBoot Brand i suggest you get a pair that fits tight to your foot. The pair I used were not tight fitting, and once wet inside, my foot slipped badly while packing. Packing a a heavy load of Bou meat downhill and I came home with a broken toe. BUT, other than that I suggest them. They can also be repaired easily with Aquaseal. I caught one of my boots on a barbwire fence here in Kansas, put on some Aquaseal, and it has never leaked.

Forget all those slip on boots try Ranger Manitoba ankle fit boots they have zippers easy on and off. Have used them for 10yr and will support your ankle and will not leak. WWW.Rangerboots.com

I had a pair (each) of LaCrosse Alpha Burly, Woody Max by Muck Boot, and several pairs of Xtra-Tuffs. The Xtra-Tuffs are the best on the boat, hands down. They have good grip and are comfortable on the flat boat deck. I hate them for off road use, though. They just don't offer much support or traction.

The Alpha Burlys & Muck Boots are comfortable and offer more support than the Extra-Tuffs, but I am disappointed with both of them in the durability dept. The rubber coating on the ankles of the AB's broken down in a few months and they started to leak. The rubber cracked on the Muck Boots, within 6 months, but they remained waterproof. Maybe I expect too much, but I think these boots should last longer than a few months......they are not exactly giving them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Maybe I expect too much, but I think these boots should last longer than a few months......they are not exactly giving them away.
    For sure not. I had my Alpha II's for 5 years and my wife is on her 4th season (not as hard use as mine). You're right, if you pay ~125-150 bucks you SHOULD expect more!!

Ive had my mucks for 4 years now and they are still going strong. I wear them out in the field as well as throughout the winter. Excellent boot unless you step off the boat and get water down the top...

Sports Authority has Muck boots on sale now, best price I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigram View Post
    Sports Authority has Muck boots on sale now, best price I've seen.
    Yup, that is where I got mine. Can't find them anywhere for that price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast