Thread: Caribou hunting info

Default Caribou hunting info

When does caribou hunting end in UNIT 13 ? north of the Glenn highway by Eureka Thanks

It ends either when the regulations say it ends, or when there's an emergency order to close it, whichever happens first.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Tier I Caribou (RC566) in Unit 13 is open from Aug 10 to Sept 20, closes for the rut, and then runs Oct 21 to Mar 31. It can be closed or altered to Bull only at any time by EO, which will happen when they achieve the desired harvest levels (which I've heard is about 5,500 animals).

Draw Caribou (DC480-483) in Unit 13 is open from Aug 20 to Sept 20, closes for the rut, and then runs Oct 21 to Mar 31.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the info-just what I needed.

Hello all, I'd suggest you take your permit and read every last word on it before you go hunting. It has your hunt start and end dates. But, equally as important is the other print about salvage requirements for your caribou.
    The meat of the front quarters, hind quarters, and the ribs must remain naturally attached to the bone until transported from the field or processed for human consumption prior to October 1st. Another way to look at it is "processed for storage" as it says on page 22 of the current regs. It should say that on the permits. It would clear up a real gray area in my opinion.
    Successful hunters must report their take within 5 days of a kill. There's been so many changes over the years of this permitting system that's in place for unit 13 caribou that I now read every word of my permit every morning before I start hunting until I know for a fact I have it all down.
    I been reading other areas here on this forum about rib meat. You cannot trim the meat off your caribou ribs and leave the rib bones in the field. Seems every year our officials in charge keep fine tuning this permitting system. So, just take a little extra time to make sure you know what all is required. You will be glad you did if for no other reason than when you tell a buddy and he says “wow, I didn't catch that on the permit, thank you"!
    Please take no offense on my delivery of this information. Forgive me for adding this to your post but if it saves just one hunter from a grievous error, say by accidently trimming the rib meat off in the field to keep from lugging a bunch of bones on your back then it's worth it. Because trimming rib meat off the bones is not processed for human consumption, it needs to be processed for storage. Ask any officer who enforces these rules in unit 13 and see what they say! Whether they themselves are right or wrong in the eyes of a court, they are the ones who cite you in the field and can make life miserable for you. So, "BRING RIBS OUT" I take this stuff extremely seriously and if I can save someone just a little bit of problems by sharing this, then a little dry delivery is worth it!
    Safe Hunting all!
    God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by J-FRAME View Post
    When does caribou hunting end in UNIT 13 ? north of the Glenn highway by Eureka Thanks
    Do you have one of the drawing or Tier I permits? If so, the information that was shared here is printed right on your permit card. If you don't, you're not allowed to hunt caribou in Unit 13. Getting an over-the-counter harvest ticket is not legal for Unit 13.