Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets hear it, how did everybody do this weekend........

Default Lets hear it, how did everybody do this weekend........

I was back at the ramp near 8 and home by 9. Bud
    Wasilla

I missed it this year. Was up till 3 am cutting caribou meat, and fleshing hide. Heading out tomorrow though. Hopefully the warzone has died down by then, and all the opening day duck hunters go back to moose hunting.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Myself, Click, and another got started a little late but limited out by 0900. Good luck tomorrow slayer!

Not a lot of action down on the ACWR, at least where we were. We've had two solid years in the same spot, but this year, we only had 4 shooting opportunities. Mark and I brought down 5. Pretty slim. Didn't seem to be as many ducks as previous years. Still always nice to be out and come home with some birds. Plus, I now live 5 minutes from where we go in. Can't beat that, even if it's not world-class shooting. I had a double on pintails, so that was fun for me
    -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Opening day in ANC was a zoo but everyone was friendly and all smiles. The weather was perfect for ducking and the birds were around if you knew where to look. Greg I was gonna email you yesterday about your plans for the morning, sorry to hear it was a bit slow. PM me if you need an extra shooter one of these days.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I've been skipping the open day circus the last 2 years because my partner is getting too old to hunt how and where I want. I decided to take a walk in the afternoon to jump shoot an out of the way pond that I usually visit later in the year. I managed to get 4 (teal and widgeon) and he got some good retreives. Thats as good as it needs to be for a dog pushing 12.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Bud, did you go UP the knik with the airboat?

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Opening day in ANC was a zoo but everyone was friendly and all smiles. The weather was perfect for ducking and the birds were around if you knew where to look. Greg I was gonna email you yesterday about your plans for the morning, sorry to hear it was a bit slow. PM me if you need an extra shooter one of these days.
    Sent you a PM. Let's definitely go hunt that together. I'll be out of town for a week, but I'll be looking to hunt as much as possible after that. I never mind a slow day, and 4 good volleys is more than we see on plenty of days, just maybe a bit slow for the opener. As you say, everyone was behaving quite well down there this morning. First shot I heard was only 1 minute early by my watch, which is pretty good considering some guys started shooting 20 minutes early a few years ago. Nope, it was a fine morning.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I was at the ACWR this morning, too, with a friend of mine. My first time hunting in close proximity to other hunters. I didn't think it was too bad. Had a great time, four or five good chances, but missed a lot. Will be spending some time at the trap/skeet range soon. LOL. Somebody has built a REALLY nice blind out there. You can tell they put a lot of work into it.

ACWR only saw one group of ducks but managed two geese. There seemed to be a lot more geese in the area this year and they were cooperative. Concerning blinds...someone appears to have moved my old blind from years ago, did a nice job but it sticks out like a sore thumb. The ponds off Kinkaid are also gone, finally filled in with silt, need some hard winter storms to clear them out again.

me and two buddies got our limits today. felt nice to put down a 3 man limit after 2 years of hunting here with out going to the su flats. post pics tommorow to tired to do it toinght!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I doubt if there was a box of shotshells fired around Delta!

were u on the jim creek lakes area or hayflats
    Wasilla

I spent the morning at my daughter's dance class and then went truck shopping... I hope to get out this weekend.

Default Lets hear it, how did everybody do this weekend........

It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

AK375HH, You are killing me over here in Afghanistan with these pictures haha. Looks like you had a blast. All I can do is hope that we have a late winter so I can get out when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post

Sept. 1st, 8:00am

Awesome pics everyone and congrats on what seems like a good opener. Being here in Afghanistan is really wearing thin. Hopefully, like duckhunter8 said, we will have a late winter and we will be able to get some hunts in before the birds leave and everything freezes. Keep the photos and stories coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast