Thread: Tikka work

Default Tikka work

I have a Tikka T3 Superlight in 30-06. I rolled the ranger over on it on the way back from hunting camp. It was in a scabbord but the brunt of the weight of the machine and all our gear and animal was laying on it. The safety tang is bent but still functions. I have no idea if the barrel is bent. What is the best way to check for a bent barrel and who does good work on Tikka safetys? BTW, no plastic on the rifle cracked or broke. Thought I would throw that out since everyone complaines about the plastic not being durable...

Default Tikka work

I haven't heard anyone talk about the plastic being weak. The bolt shroud is a little cheap and wouldn't do much to keep gas out of your face in the event of a case rupture. The stock is plenty strong but feels like its made by Fischer Price.

I hope you can get your rifle fixed up, those Tikks's can sure shoot! I would pull it out of the stock and see if you can identify what all is damaged. You may be able to see get a rough idea if the barrel is bent by yanking the barreled action out of the stock and rolling it like an arrow on a flat table. A safer bet would be to take it to a smith and have him check it for concentricity.

Take it outside and look down the barrel carefully while pointed up into the sky. If you can do this without actually holding it in your hands, it will be easier. A bent barrel will show a "shadow" in the bore. Also, you could just go shoot it. If it is WAY off, then something is probably damaged. I would use a process of elimination with the scope, mounts, then the barrel. Most barrels will appear "bent" or not straight when rolled on a flat surface. Visually checking the bore is the most reliable way to check, as well as a range test shooting for zero.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

keep us all posted on what you find - this will be a good testimony for Tikka T3's I expect (wish I had one of those in '06 ...)

Default Tikka work

Good info gunbugs!

NIce to know info...sounds like a Glock stress test. Let Beretta know if things are OK and maybe they will make a commercial out of your experience.

Only thing I've run over is a camoed chain saw with my tractor...your Tikka faired MUCH better!! I now have bright orange Stihl saws and all is well.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I will try that out Gunbug. Good idea. I guess I never thought of it as a glorified Glock stress test! Wish it wasn't my rifle though. I figure with the dry weight of a Ranger at 1050# and all the mods and extra fuel, camp gear for 5 days and a decent caribou That I was pushing about 1800# when she rolled over onto the rifle. I would include my weight but I was abruptly thrown into the roof, off the roll bar and into a mud hole faster than I could say a curse word!
    The rifle was mounted on the top of the passenger side bed rail
    bou5.jpg

Thanks Bliss...I've been trying to tell my wife she needs her own 4 wheeler and she keeps telling me she wants a side by side with a rood. After your post and picture she is in line with a new 4 wheeler for her with no roof...pictures are worth a thousand words!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Tikka work

Individual quads are great and seem to be the road we are taking. The ability to have multiple vehicles all capable of towing one another and each with winches is pretty dang handy.

That said this particular vehicle looks to be overloaded and if loads like that are on the menu it is probably time to invest in a good trailer to prevent getting the CG up to high. There are definitely some comfort advantages to a SxS though! My wife and I go back and forth on the best setup for us all the time.

You didn't happen to be hunting with the Shockey's were you.? LOL
    They had a past episode where they rolled something too.
    Can't wait to hear the outcome on the Tikka.

I admit I was overloaded or atleast loaded with a high CG. I am in the process of building a rack for the roof for the light stuff and keep the heavy stuff down low. I wouldn't of wanted a trailer on that trail, would of had to do far more winching and I was done being best friends with my Warn already. I have seen far more quads on there sides than sidexsides. This was just the way the trip was going for me. blew a tire, an axle and rained like a dog the whole time out. I'm on the slope for a bit but will report how the Tikka faired through this. It should be a testament of how durable it is.

Not the place to discuss this, but those flip axle trailers sure look like they would work well for the areas I want to explore.

I talked to a customer over the weekend that told me he had just rolled his Yamaha on top of his Browning A bolt which was in a front rack. He said he was going about 40 mph on a perfectly smooth sand trail and hit a fallen limb which threw him off and the wheeler flipped, completely wiping out his rifle, stock broke and leupold was bent. He admitted he was going too fast for conditions...yeah...go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I talked to a customer over the weekend that told me he had just rolled his Yamaha on top of his Browning A bolt which was in a front rack. He said he was going about 40 mph on a perfectly smooth sand trail and hit a fallen limb which threw him off and the wheeler flipped, completely wiping out his rifle, stock broke and leupold was bent. He admitted he was going too fast for conditions...yeah...go figure!
    So the Tikka out did the A-bolt so far! kidding. I had never thought about my rifle much sitting in a scabbard. I will now and am already looking for a new place to mount it. Scat happens and it happens fast.

Still havent heard of a good smith that works on Tikkas. I talked to one and he said he can re-bend the safety but I would rather replace it. I can get a new trigger group but actually really like the trigger on this rifle.

To assess any damage to the barrel. Just take a laser bore sighter and put it in the chamber and see if the light is in the general direction of the scope crosshair. If the laser doesn't appear to be in the right place check your scope alignment and mounts and rings first, then move on to the barrel. LUCK !!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I haven't heard anyone talk about the plastic being weak. The bolt shroud is a little cheap and wouldn't do much to keep gas out of your face in the event of a case rupture. The stock is plenty strong but feels like its made by Fischer Price.

I hope you can get your rifle fixed up, those Tikks's can sure shoot! I would pull it out of the stock and see if you can identify what all is damaged. You may be able to see get a rough idea if the barrel is bent by yanking the barreled action out of the stock and rolling it like an arrow on a flat table. A safer bet would be to take it to a smith and have him check it for concentricity.
    It is quite the shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    So the Tikka out did the A-bolt so far! kidding. I had never thought about my rifle much sitting in a scabbard. I will now and am already looking for a new place to mount it. Scat happens and it happens fast.

Still havent heard of a good smith that works on Tikkas. I talked to one and he said he can re-bend the safety but I would rather replace it. I can get a new trigger group but actually really like the trigger on this rifle.
    This was definitely an unscheduled bowel movement. Just take your boot and reshape the safety...it appears you can't hurt a Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Should of said, all you had to do was give it a chance and it would have served you fine! No need for high priced, custom built 280 AI!

Default Tikka work

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Should of said, all you had to do was give it a chance and it would have served you fine! No need for high priced, custom built 280 AI!
    Nothing custom for me on the bolt gun front.. Kimber makes em and nosler feeds em all factory stuff at this point.