Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: Question about rib meat

  1. #1
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default Question about rib meat

    While I was being checked by a trooper today he asked to varify that I had all the rib meat. I always cut the rib cage off at the spine, and split the brisket up the middle and bring them back in two parts. I told him that I just brought the ribs back whole, then showed him. He said that was the way I was supposed to do it. So my question is, was he saying that legally I am supposed to bring them back this way, or is that just the rules for hunting the chicken area? I didn't see anything written down on how you are supposed to salvage rib meat. Also what do you tell the troopers if you had decided to have a rib BBQ at camp that night? When he asks to see the rib meat, and you already ate it, does anybody have any problems explaining that to him?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  2. #2
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    For your hunt and game management area you do not have to leave the rib meat on the bones. Never eaten ribs in camp so I can't tell you what would happen if they asked to see the ribs of the animal you shot and you had eaten them.

    My suggestion is take a pic of the carcass showing the ribs or rib meat salvaged and show a pic of you cooking or eating ribs. stid is pretty good about this.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not sure the "ate them" answer would fly, given the number of pounds of meat on a fully mature moose's ribs. I like the suggestion about photo-documentation, and this is exactly what I do. I don't take out the entire cage...I just do the 'accordian' cut or some call it the 'rib roll'. When finished, my bull's ribs (bones) look like a picket fence. I snap a photo of the bull at this point, just before flipping him over. I have my doubts that a trooper would ask you to un-bag all that good meat just to prove there was rib meat in there somewhere. If so, he's either suspicious or out to prove a point. Label your meat bags so you know exactly where to find the rib meat.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    731

    Default

    btw, for those who have not tried this...
    rib meat , especially on moose is really good prepared like this.

    1) bake at 350 for 20 min. on roast rack in oven.
    2) remove from rack , put in presuure cooker for 40 min. on stove top.
    3)remove from pressure cooker, put back in oven with your choice of bbq sauce, etc. for about 20 more min.
    4) eat

    you guys who trim ribs for burger meat don't know what you're missing.
    Last edited by sh; 09-01-2012 at 05:50. Reason: spell

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Vashon, Washington
    Posts
    59

    Default

    We smoked/barbecued ours from last season on The Big Green Egg for 4 hours at 225. I agree ribs are more than just burgers. Enjoy them!

  6. #6
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Hunters routinely eat the rib cage on a sheep when in the mtns. A moose would be quite a task to devour in the field.
    Deer ribs are also consumed in the field, and would be believable.
    If the trooper was in doubt, they have been known to visit the location of the kill site to determine for themselves if there was waste.
    Had a friend checked in such a manner and he was charged with not salvaging 5 lbs of neck meat the trooper thought was salvagable. It cost him his moose meat and a ticket, which he fought and won. He got the rack back after 6 months of fighting, but the moose meat was donated and he did not get compensated for that. So, in the end, he lost the meat, but won the charges against him.
    BK

  7. #7

    Default

    well, most game warden have learned that separated rib meat is hard to ID. They'll have to locate and count all 14 strips off each side if you deboned the rib cage. othwerwise, they'll be able to see the rib cage whole if you sawed it off. If you cook the ribs on a fire, take a photo or video as proof.

    larry

  8. #8

    Default

    Two years ago I killed a nice bull with my longbow. A few days later a state trooper flew up 'my' valley in a helicopter, and spotted my camp. As he circled camp, he then located the carcass of my dead bull several hundred yards away. He hovered and circled, and I'm all but 100% certain he was taking pics or video for review. He landed and walked into camp...very courteous...and performed the usual checks. He didn't ask me about the rib meat, as my bags had been flown out earlier that day. My point is that it's not worth skimping or 'cheating' on meat recovery. Do the hard work and get it ALL. Then sleep well and feel good.

  9. #9
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Hunters routinely eat the rib cage on a sheep when in the mtns. A moose would be quite a task to devour in the field.
    Deer ribs are also consumed in the field, and would be believable.
    If the trooper was in doubt, they have been known to visit the location of the kill site to determine for themselves if there was waste.
    Had a friend checked in such a manner and he was charged with not salvaging 5 lbs of neck meat the trooper thought was salvagable. It cost him his moose meat and a ticket, which he fought and won. He got the rack back after 6 months of fighting, but the moose meat was donated and he did not get compensated for that. So, in the end, he lost the meat, but won the charges against him.
    BK
    Curious as to what was his defense.......how did he win the case? What a drag that even though found innocent, he wasn't compensated for the meat............which is why he is out there in the first place. It's like that state says "oh sorry" then turns their back and walks away. I'd be tempted to them sue the state, but would ultimately loose I'm sure.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Ya, make sure the carcass is clean. All the neck meat off and the ribs picked clean or rolled up whole. They are not messing around when they go to checking your stuff. Kind of Gestapo style maybe, but that is the way it is. MAKE SURE you are good and legal or you will regret it.

    While we are at it, what about blood shot or gut shot meat? Is that wanton waste if left in the field? If you leave it in the field, where do you leave it? Probably not right close to the carcass I would imagine.

  11. #11
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Ya, make sure the carcass is clean. All the neck meat off and the ribs picked clean or rolled up whole. They are not messing around when they go to checking your stuff. Kind of Gestapo style maybe, but that is the way it is. MAKE SURE you are good and legal or you will regret it.

    While we are at it, what about blood shot or gut shot meat? Is that wanton waste if left in the field? If you leave it in the field, where do you leave it? Probably not right close to the carcass I would imagine.
    You do not have to salvage bloodshot meat. You can leave it wherever, but if you do you better make darn sure it's all bloodshot.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Kind of Gestapo style maybe, but that is the way it is. .
    After seeing many a kill sight from other hunters I am glad they are that way.. Waaaay to many hunters are wasteful when it comes to butchering in the field and that is a shame and disrespectful to the resource.

  13. #13
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    The great thing about the caribou I got this year, was that I did a neck shot. Almost no blood shot meat results from that! My .308 doesn't blow a softball sized hole out the other side of the caribou as well, so there is even less wasted there. I was very excited to get both shoulders intact without having to trim any thing off this year. I only leave the spine, guts and head out there. I even took the hide this year, I am going to get a blanket made out of it. I am really only asking this question in case I decide to eat the ribs in camp. I don't want to have the animal that I worked so hard to get, taken away from me because I am short a couple of rib cages.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    The great thing about the caribou I got this year, was that I did a neck shot. Almost no blood shot meat results from that! My .308 doesn't blow a softball sized hole out the other side of the caribou as well, so there is even less wasted there. I was very excited to get both shoulders intact without having to trim any thing off this year. I only leave the spine, guts and head out there. I even took the hide this year, I am going to get a blanket made out of it. I am really only asking this question in case I decide to eat the ribs in camp. I don't want to have the animal that I worked so hard to get, taken away from me because I am short a couple of rib cages.
    If they find you short a couple of rib cages because you ate them, it will be very apparent to them, both by the bloated stomach and the fact that you probably couldn't walk. Maybe a couple of ribs, but in that case, just take pics like others have said and it should cover you.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    13

    Default

    When you take the ribs out whole, do you put each in a separate game bag? Could you get away with putting them in the hamburger bag?

  16. #16
    Member Matt83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Curious as to what was his defense.......how did he win the case? What a drag that even though found innocent, he wasn't compensated for the meat............which is why he is out there in the first place. It's like that state says "oh sorry" then turns their back and walks away. I'd be tempted to them sue the state, but would ultimately loose I'm sure.....
    Sounds about right, the state is wrong and its ok, but man if your found wrong you are paying for it!

    You could probably take the trooper who issued the citation to civil court. If your found wrong your held accountable, but if he is found wrong hes not held accountable?? Doesnt sound right to me.

  17. #17
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit4slim View Post
    When you take the ribs out whole, do you put each in a separate game bag? Could you get away with putting them in the hamburger bag?
    Are you serious?

    There are no rules governing how many games bags you have to use, if you have to use game bags, or what parts of the animal you put in the game bags.

    Just for the sake of it, I normally put both ribs in one bag.

    If you are working with a good sized moose and putting the ribs in the same bag as the burger meat, have fun carrying that thing around.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

    Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    You can not take a LEO to court for doing his job. The best they would do is put you on the road kill list.


    Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Sounds about right, the state is wrong and its ok, but man if your found wrong you are paying for it!

    You could probably take the trooper who issued the citation to civil court. If your found wrong your held accountable, but if he is found wrong hes not held accountable?? Doesnt sound right to me.

  19. #19
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,121

    Default

    Not sure how he won, but hut it took almost 6 months to close the case.
    The charge was waste of 5lbs of neck meat.
    Seems pretty petty of the LEO to make that case. Could have been a judgment call that he argued, don't know.
    It was unfortunate he had to give up the meat and it was given away.
    BK

  20. #20
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    It was unfortunate he had to give up the meat and it was given away.
    BK
    Exactly...that's the bs part, found innocent but not compensated.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •