Thread: Simple rifle holder for pack

Default Simple rifle holder for pack

Just an fyi - a simple and affective method of slinging the rifle to your pack.

I cut the top bar on my pack leaving about a 1" stub. This keeps the rifle from slipping off the pack. Then I replaced the pack pin with a 1/4" X 2 1/2 phillips head bolt, washer, and lock nut. I bent the bolt upwards to hold the sling. I then wrapped the bolt with elec. tap to reduce abrasion on the sling. The purpose of the bolt is to keep the weight of the rifle off of the pack bag so it won't eventually tear at the grommet.

Be safe out there and keep your rifle handy - bear maulings seem to occur on a regular basis these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems appropriate last comment with the bear hide in the background. Sounds like a pretty nifty idea. Thanks for sharing and good luck out there. I had a buddy that was mauled out on Kodiak a few years ago and he had his rifle slung around his shoulders/neck and couldn't get it off in time.
    Steve

Just be aware going into alders so it doesn't get hung up and come off. Someone here almost left a rifle in the hills a few weeks ago after a walk-in sheep hunt.

With this method of attachment, I can reach back with one hand, grab the barrel, and lift the gun off the pack about as fast as if the gun were simply slung over a shoulder.

I hear you, I work with the guy who got "tackled" and had his head chewed on by a brownie on Kodiak last spring. I'm pretty sure his rifle was lashed to the pack.

I have basically the same thing but on the outside of the frame as I still have the loop on top. I bent the bolt in "U" shape. It rarely gets snagged on anything and I barely have to lift it off the bolt for it to come free.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Same principle but I use a 3 inch or so piece of broomstick or wood dowel in the post on the top of the pack..

I ran into a little sow on Kodiak years ago and I had my rifle slung over the pack frame. Sling got caught under the pin and I couldn't get it off...she just woofed and went back into the alders. I put tape over the pin to keep that from happening again.

A better solution is a Kifaru gun bearer, albiet more expensive.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    A better solution is a Kifaru gun bearer, albiet more expensive.
    Kifaru gunbearer is the best i've used. Good investment, great piece of gear!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Kifaru gunbearer is the best i've used. Good investment, great piece of gear!
    I take it you have to order them directly from Kifaru...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

OP nice setup, cheap and effective, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I take it you have to order them directly from Kifaru...???
    That's the only way I know of to get one. They're worth every penny.