Thread: Which primaloft/puffy pants?

Default Which primaloft/puffy pants?

I'm looking to buy a pair of primaloft pants, and was wondering what people recommended and for what reasons. Of the few that I've looked at, I've liked the Barney's pants the best, I'm just having a hard time dropping $210 on them. So I guess I'm looking for the best deal I can find on a good pair of puffy pants. Any suggestions?

I have not bought a pair yet but from my research the past few months it seems like everyone votes the Mt Hardwear Compressors as the best ones. I like the fact they are cheaper than Barny's pants and they have a full length side zip to facilitate putting on and taking of over boots.

Love the Mt Hardware Compressors. They stuff down to Nalgene water bottle size and are great on chill mornings
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Do you guys have any ideas on who has the best prices? I looked online (Campmor, Seirra Trading Post, REI). Any other suggestions?

Tough to get a good deal in the middle of hunting season.

My View sports.
    Barney's
    AK Mountaineering
    REI
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

For what it's worth, the compressor pants aren't actually primaloft, but rather a proprietary insulation that is offered exclusively by Mountain Hardwear. I was about to buy a pair at AMH, but a member of their staff talked me into a pair made with primaloft that was on sale (usually more expensive, but this time they were less expensive) and lighter than the Mt. Hardwear pant. He stressed to me that primaloft has the best insulation to weight ratio of any synthetic insulation. Mt. Hardwear does use primaloft in some garments, but not in the compressor pants. I can't recall the brand I bought offhand, but I'll take a look when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Do you guys have any ideas on who has the best prices? I looked online (Campmor, Seirra Trading Post, REI). Any other suggestions?
    Backcountry has decent sales. The patagonia micro puffs get some traction on gear reviews.

http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia...ated-pant-mens

Primaloft or not the compressors are probably the best bang for the buck if you scour the web for a truly good deal.

I just got the Sitka Kelvin pant today for 170 i believe. It has a full length zipper which was my only requirement and was cheaper than the barneys pants

I bought Kelvin pants and jacket in the Spring for around $250. Great stuff but it got too warm for me to really try them out so I'm waiting for the snow to fly....I may loose them to my wife though.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Integral Designs in the brand I have. I've only used 'em on one hunt thus far, but I'm pleased with my purchase.

The OR Noplumes are primaloft, cheaper and OR so if there is ever a problem in your lifetime its covered. That being said I bought the compressors simply because they have the nylon reinforcement on the seat and knees. I got the compressors for $124 with free shipping from Oregon mountain community. (e-omc.com) I can't say enough good about the store! I bought quite a few Items from them this year: puffy pants, puffy coat, OR dry bags, Gregory Denali pro, and all were if not the cheapest I could find on the web, they were the cheapest after free shipping (3 or 4 days to sitka). Super happy with their service. A goood site for comparison shopping is www.trailspace.com, that is how I found e-omc.

Hey thanks guy's for all the input and web sites, you guy's are great. I ended up ordering a pair of MH compressors from e-OMC for $112.
    Thanks again, Greg

Great deal! Maybe I should order another pair for 10 years from now when mine are worn out....

I got my patagonias off eBay for $80
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Integral Designs in the brand I have. I've only used 'em on one hunt thus far, but I'm pleased with my purchase.
    Are they they Denali pants? How are they working for you?

Compressor pants work great for me. I really like the compressibility and the zippers that go through the waistband.