Thread: Run, Hide, Fight

Default Run, Hide, Fight

Put this in the Global but this may be a better arena for it.

So we all chat about concealed carry and home defense.

I think I'm pretty covered at home. Doors locked at night. Security/motion lights on my property. Dogs that bark at the squeal of a nats ass.

EDC outside the house. Regular shooting. Active draw scenarios.

Check out the following. Thoughts? Stuff to think about.

If you are that worried about the area you live in to have to have all that stuff, isn't it time to move somewhere where you feel safe?

Just a thought.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    If you are that worried about the area you live in to have to have all that stuff, isn't it time to move somewhere where you feel safe?

Just a thought.
    I live in a great area. Locking my doors and having a motion light on the house has nothing to do with the area I live in. Both pretty standard stuff for many households regardless of location.

Might have missed the point though. Or perhaps I didn't convey it well enough? Point was, a majority of folks who tend to self defend do so either at home or their person when in public. But many things happen in between

oh there's good people to learn from locally but this place isn't the place to add any knowlage because of all the people on the left that like to slam the guys trying to help ones that would like to learn,

I carry when in Anchorage but that is about it. I was almost shot there back in 99 at the Sports Authority parking lot near Dimond when a speeding van sped past me shooting at the cop car chasing him. The guy empted 30 rounds from a AK47 as he went 3 feet in front of me and 10 feet to the right.

Around the house and town here just no need. The only reason the shotgun is near the door is the bears around the house. And they are usually no problem just pesty mess makers if you don't keep things clean.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If the rights to bare arms and self defense were more openly accepted and understood, rather than vilified and demonized in the political arena, then events such as those portrayed would be far less common place than they are becoming, IMO.

speaking of training, it is vilified and demonized by many here at aod, ask the ironartist, oh guess you can't since his passwords been changed by the mods here

That was a good video, I thought. It seemed like practical, useful information for every person, and it avoided taking a stance on political (2nd Amend.) issues. It neither encouraged, nor discouraged the use of firearms, but it did address the fight part of the fight or flight reaction in a manner that everyone can use, whether or not they choose to carry a firearm. This is a good video for a very broad audience.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    That was a good video, I thought. It seemed like practical, useful information for every person, and it avoided taking a stance on political (2nd Amend.) issues. It neither encouraged, nor discouraged the use of firearms, but it did address the fight part of the fight or flight reaction in a manner that everyone can use, whether or not they choose to carry a firearm. This is a good video for a very broad audience.
    +1 for sure. There are so many people that never take any time at all to think of what if. I work on a decent sized college campus and 2 yrs ago a fugitive was chased through our parking lot by several police cars. This guy was wanted for murder, armed and not wanting to get caught. He about hit me as I walked across a lot wondering what the heck was going on? He crashed in one of our soccor fields and fled into the woods, FBI, and police of all sorts flocked in and then they finally turned some dogs loose on him that tore him up pretty good. But, in the mean time most people on campus were not informed, finally the word got around and the police on campus simply said for everyone to "stay inside". I walked around and told all that I could and it was amazing the number that just "melted" panicking, Oh what should we do"? Mostly women, a few men. One woman stood by an exit door and kept saying "why dont the police send someone over here to protect us??? Really, she looked at me for help and after I calmed her down I said perhaps you could help yourself by simply locking the steel exit door for starters - good grief...
    So, what FL2 says is spot on, this video may seem common sense to most of us but there are many that are clueless sheep to be slautered and this video could really help them...
    Uh, the 60 some yr old woman I mentioned above is a staunch left supporter as well - go figure... A mid 40's gal that loves the outdoors, camping, kayaking, etc stepped in, took chg and took about 8 or ten folks - men included, down to another more secure area while I went on to warn others. Uh, she is a hard right supporter - supprised???
    Like Clint Eastwood said in The Outlaw Jose Wales, when times look bleak you gotta get mad dog mean because if you don't you neither win nor live thats just the way it is....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Around the house and town here just no need. The only reason the shotgun is near the door is the bears around the house.
    I'm sure Valdez is a very safe town as far as crazies go, but you just never know. Remember the guy who shot folks in Manley and then shot a trooper in a chopper? Finally killed by another trooper.

I think it was a good video. Hopefully makes some folks think on the subject a little more. Better to be prepared.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just a thought.
    I'm sure the folks in the Soldotna Hospital felt that way right up to the time they were being shot at too, about 3 years ago...

Thanks to the OP for posting the video, i'll definately be taking it to work for my department, if not the whole company. I'll also be looking for the nearest fire extinguisher since we are specifically barred from carrying at work. I've always thought about keeping a can of wasp spray at my desk too...

Great video and an example of when crap can happen when you least expect it. Being prepared is the key to survival with anything from hunting to home defense to fishing. Nothing wrong with someone being ready in case a situation should arise. Look at the hunters in Virginia years ago that got gunned down. Who would expect that to happen. I wouldn't but it shows that skat can happen no matter where you are.
    How many people have laid in bed and thought, "well if I had to discharge my weapon at an intruder while laying in bed, where will the bullet go if I miss?". These small forethoughts can save your life or others in your home if the need ever arises. Odds are better at winning the lottery but some unlucky people have been in these horrible situations. Know your weapon and practice shooting it in low light situations. Know how to hide in your home to give yourself a better defensive position that will also give you the offensive advantage. Know where your bullet will go once it leaves the barrel.

Prepare your self
    Prepare your family
    prepare your home

Dont let others influence you not to. Lot of people think your a quack for being prepared. Since when do we care what others think when it comes to protecting our familys.

The part that gets tricky is when we go to places that do not allow weapons. They remind me of places like the UK or Austrailia. All the law abiding citizens have no weapons but the criminals do. Thats where it gets tricky. The Diamond mall is a prime example.

Once again, thanks for posting the video, great reminders of what to do

Just a thought.
    And to pile on.... all those folks in McCarthy that got killed years ago, or my friend that was shot in the woods north of Talkeetna 26 years ago (he lived because he was armed), or another friend killed while eating dinner in Talkeetna, and that same year when a guy in Trapper Creek was killed in his own front yard.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Run, Hide, Fight

Thanks guy. Glad some get the meaning. I drive through an armed gate every day, but just as many shootings happen inside a military base.

Bad things can happen anywhere.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

And to pile on again, Bethel High School, '97. It can happen anywhere. I pack everywhere... but especially Anchorage when I HAVE to go there.

Now, Squirrel River...
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem