Thread: Waterfowl hunting humor

Default Waterfowl hunting humor

Heard a story about a man who went out waterfowl hunting with my uncle and his hunting partners, this happened quite a few years ago when I was still a boy. Well this man was an older man, WW2 veteran, former Air Force pilot. He was an experienced big game hunter, loved to hunt Dall Sheep and other mountain species, he could walk all day long if he needed too. He told my uncle that he had not hunted waterfowl very much before, but knew how to use a shotgun. So my uncle took him out on a camping trip across the bay. After setting up their camp, everyone was eager to get out into the field and start shooting some geese. So camp was setup quickly and everyone went out into the field and got situated. The shooting was good that afternoon, everyone came back to camp later that day with a bunch of geese, except for their new hunting partner. He told everyone that he had some trouble shooting his shotgun, so the next morning they went out again, it was a good day for everyone, expect for their new partner. Everyone knew that he was doing some shooting since he wasn’t that far away from everyone, but no geese were falling out of the sky. Everyone was thinking that he was a real bad shot. When the day was over everyone was back in camp and he spent the whole evening trying to explain why he couldn’t drop any geese. The next day was going to be their last day camping, so the next morning before the incoming tide arrived he situated himself near where the other hunters were, and when a flock of geese flew over them one of the hunters took aim and shot, a goose dropped out of the sky and to everyone’s surprise their new partner jumped up and ran for the bird, whooping and hollering just overjoyed, telling everyone he finally caught a goose. The hunters just looked at each other and just smiled, no one said a word. Eventually the tide came in and they left, when they made it back to town their new partner had a great goose hunting story to tell everyone, the story is still being told, even today.

I like your story,

Default Boys and the flock of geese

I heard a story one time about 3 young boys out on a goose hunting trip who spotted a flock of geese out on the flats, well these boys decided that they would put a sneak on the flock and try and shoot a couple while they were feeding. They located a slough that ran along the side of the mud flat that the geese were feeding in, so they hiked along the side through the mud as far as they could go, then decided that they would low crawl the rest of the way until they were within shooting range. It took some time for them to crawl through the mud and marsh to get within range. But being young they didn’t mind that at all, they were pretty confident that they were going to get some geese to take home to their mothers. As they were getting closer to the geese the boys started getting excited, they were smiling back and forth at each other, just knowing that they would be able to get a few geese between the 3 of them. While they were low crawling the last 100 yards they were watching the geese carefully to make sure they didn’t spook any of them. They knew that if the geese spotted them they would take flight and they wouldn’t even get a chance to shoot. When they were confident that they had closed the distance and were within shooting range they signaled to each other to get ready. The time had come, it was time to shoot. So at the same time all 3 raised up their shotguns, took aim and started unloading their shotguns into the flock and to their surprise not one goose flew off, not one goose even moved from its position. They then realized that they had put the sneak on someone’s decoys. Boy were they embarrassed, my uncle was so mad, he had taken considerable time to setup his decoys to be as realistic as possible and now they were full of bird shot. When the boys and my uncle were telling the story we all had a good laugh, needless to say the boys never did that again.

Heard a funny one not to long ago. A bunch of guys were hunting on a lake and had dropped a few birds. One of them ran out to collect the ducks(without his gun), and while he was out a flock came in and the hunters dropped a few. Well when my dad made it back in the blind another flock came screaming by so he threw his gun up and went click...click...click. When are those darned duck hunters gonna learn not to shoot their partners guns?

A guy and his girlfriend were out hunting in the Minto flats when the guy decides he should let his girlfriend drive for a little bit. They're goning along nicely in their skiff when all of a sudden she lets the tiller go and the boat swamps, sending all their gear into the water. Needless to say it wasn't a real fun afternoon, and for some reason they aren't together anymore.

-Eric

Default Heads up!

To this day, despite my best efforts and the rare occurrence, I can't help but laugh when I down a duck over head and it crashes into an unsuspecting partner.

My dad and step mom were out hunting a few years ago back hom ein Florida it had been a real crappy day for ducks as they didnt see anything. They would see one or two that were kicked up by the airboats but they were a great distance away. About the time they were packing everything up to head home an eagle flew over the boat and dropped a duck which landed right in the boat between them. That duck wound up being the best tasting duck ever. They still tell this story everytime I go visit them cause conversations always end up on hunting.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "HOLY **** WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Since waterfowl hunting is in full swing might be time to share a few more humorous waterfowl hunting stories, anyone want to come forward and share with us readers a good duck or goose hunting story or experience ? Thanks

Default Mudflat Goose Hunt

Two weekends ago I went on a waterfowl hunting berry picking camping trip with my wife, our niece and her new husband. We boated south of the village about 30 miles to an area that was known to have a lot of crow berries, also know locally as blackberries, hey maybe they should be renamed to black crow berries. Well back to the story, my niece’s husband grew up hunting waterfowl just as I had so it looked like it was going to be a good trip. By early afternoon we were in the field and there were so many geese flying back and forth all around us and occasionally a few would come in close and we would get a chance to shoot at them. My new partner was pretty good at calling geese in close using a goose caller made from a spent 12 gauge shotgun shell with a small hole burned in the middle of the hull, which everyone out here in my area uses very effectively as a homemade goose call. As the afternoon wore on the sun started getting brighter and hotter, the geese started settling down to feed as the tide started receding, by late afternoon there weren’t any geese flying near us. After a little discussion we decided to relocate to a better flyway, near a big wide-open mudflat near a slough that flows out into the bay. We were hoping to improve our chances of shooting more geese. As we were walking toward the flat we decided to stash the geese that we had previously shot, no need to carry a few geese around with us, especially ones that had already been plucked. When we got near the edge of the flat we could hear the geese cackling at each other, there seemed to be geese everywhere. When we got a little closer we crawled up the bank of a small slough and looked through the tall grass and to our surprise there were flocks of geese everywhere cacklers, white-fronts and speckle-bellies, and even a few emperors. We were in waterfowl heaven. While we were sitting there enjoying our luck and listening to all the geese a small flock flew over, my partner took aim at a goose and fired, out of the sky the speckle-belly started spiraling to the ground out toward the mud flat where all the geese were. Once the flocks of geese heard his shot they all took flight at the same time, we could see geese bumping into each other, some were dodging one another as they were trying to get off the ground, we could see flocks that were trying to form after they had lifted off, some of the geese that were a little slower were running around on the mudflat cackling at each other and almost squawking. It was a sight to see, the mudflat was just alive with geese going in every direction. Only problem was they were going in every direction except ours. During all of this goose commotion his goose got up off the ground and started looking around, he started running back and forth with the other geese, there were so many geese that we lost him amongst the flocks. After all the geese took flight his goose was the only one left out on the mudflat, once that goose realized he was the only one left he looked toward us and then started running in the other direction as fast as he could go, across the mudflat. We both looked at his goose, which had apparently been hit on the tip of the wing since it had spiraled down unlike a goose would do if it was shot well. My partner looked at me and without saying a word started running after it, well this goose had a good 50+ yard head start on him and he was not mortally wounded. My partner ran as fast as he could, hoping to catch it on the sprint before he reached the softer mud, the goose looked back spotted him and I swear he seemed to run even faster. When they were quite a distance away maybe a 1/3 mile or so away I could see my partner stop take off his coat and hat, drop his shotgun shell bag and then he really put on the steam. I could see as he was closing the distance he stopped and took aim and fired, I swear I could see that goose duck, I am pretty sure it did since I was watching the chase with my Steiner 10x26 binoculars. I had to use my binoculars since by then he was a good 3/4 mile out on the mudflat. I could see my partner run another 50 yards take aim and fire another round at the goose, this time after he shot he stopped and just stood there. I figured that he finally caught that **** goose. Probably was wishing at that moment that he had a trained dog to fetch for him. In all my years of waterfowl hunting I have never seen a goose hunter work so hard as he did to catch his wounded goose. Well that’s not true I could tell you a story of a goose that I shot when I was in my teens, no I shouldn’t. Back to my story, when my partner finally made it back to where I was I had a newly found respect for the younger man. He is welcome to hunt with me anytime he wants. He may be younger but he was taught old school. Enjoy

Nukalpiaq, you're a fine story teller . . I enjoyed your other one too . . .

About 10 years ago I was hunting ponds and puddles in eastern North Dakota with a couple of guys I worked with, one a USAF Staff Sergeant (Tom), a seasoned duck hunter from the area, the other a young USAF Second Lieutenant from the deep south (let's call him Bubba, to protect the guilty). We had set our dekes up on a pond, and sat around waiting for the birds to come in. It was a little warm as I recall, with a high overcast and no rain or wind, so the hunting was not exactly what I would call hot. Tom managed to pass shoot one of the few bids that came by, a pintail, and Bubba sent his dog Cody out to retrieve it. When Cody got back to the bllind, Bubba spent a lot of time over the dog to take the bird (Cody was an overweight 120 lb. black lab with a penchant for duck tartare . . . beak, feet, and all). A red-tailed hawk was cruising the edges of the pond, and Tom saw an opportunity to take advantage of the green 2LT., so he told him "Bubba, there's a goose coming in to the pond, get down". Well, Bubba being the trusting soul that he is, did exactly as he was told, hunkering down in the blind. As the hawk flew in closer (it was still some 50 yards or so straight up), Tom yelled out "Take him!". Bubba popped up out of the blind, and nailed the friggin' hawk with one shot of his old pump Mossberg 500, promptly dropping it right next to Tom. Bubba, walked out of the blind and stared at the bird in disbelief, "This ain't a **** goose, it's a hawk!". Tom looked at Bubba and shouted "I didn't think you'd shoot it!". Bubba paused, looked at Tom and started laughing, causing all three of us to start laughing hard enough so that even if 1,000 birds had come into the pond right then they would have wondered what the hell three fools dressed up in duck camo were doing laughing beside a pond as they flew off. We've remained friends to this day, even as military duties sent some of us off to distant parts of the world. I'm looking forward to hunting with the both of them again. Some other time I'll tell the story of Bubba and his "black geese" . . .

That pond is still today referred to as "Hawk Pond". I never did ask Bubba what the hawk tastes like . . .

Cheers,

SH

I know this post is kinda old, but I have a few stories.

When I was still living in Oregon, we used to do an annual duck hunt for a week in a pothole region in south east Oregon. There are thousands of birds in this area, in some potholes the air would vibrate with the sound of a thousand wigeon sitting there, or you could jump flocks of 100 mallards or gadwalls when you came over a rise and discovered a pothole there. When we got to this place we would set up goose shells on the first morning and focus on geese, then move on to jump shooting the rest of time. Well we set up on opening morning and hunkered down, and right off the bat we had a big flock of canadian honkers wings locked and landing gear down, heading for our decoys. We opened up on them and nailed a few geese. Our dog Jake went out and retrieved them, and we waited for more to come in. During the morining I noticed Jake going crazy in the blind looking at dad's goose, he was whining and barking, and started driving us crazy. About an hour later another flock of geese came in and when they got close they started honking. Well that goose that Jake was making a big fuss over picked up his head and honked back, then took off at a dead run out of the blind. with the dog chasing after him. The geese that were coming in saw this and decided to land some where else. I guess that goose was a team player. I just can't believe that it played dead as long as it did.

Another time, my dad, his buddy Kip and I were hunting a pond in the Willamette valley in Oregon. We were having a fair day of hunting. We had singles trickling in all day, and a few flocks, then it started slowing down. My dad, who had been up late the previous night fell asleep next to a log, and didn't notice a single goose coming in. It was on his side and me and Kip were waiting for him to shoot, When we looked over and saw him sleeping Kip jumped up and shot, and folded the goose. The shot woke my dad up and he jumped up to shoot. But all he saw was the goose coming straight at him. He ducked and that goose hit that log right where he was sleeping. If he hadn't jumped up, it would have hit him in the face. He was a little shaky for a while after that, but it was a good laugh.

I once saw two guys in a canoe. As a group of birds flew over head both fired away at them. As they were taking aim on there third shot the canoe started to roll.

It reminded me of the physics that go into play. It was like watching one of the naval ships with the 16 in" guns shooting off to the side.

Those guys were leaning to far back and the recoil from shooting wasn't helping them much either. I went over to help. They were able to stand and were absolutely laughing there butts off as well. I'm friends with them even now.

Default let a friend shoot your gun

Bill was a great guy so we took him on a duck hunting weekend. He is well versed in waterfowl hunting, guns, and dogs. A great guy to be with, and a great sport.
    I had a SKB 600 O/U shotgun. It was a real pretty gun. Bill admired it all weekend as we hunted, until I asked him if he would like to give it a try. Sure he said. So I handed it to him, broke open so he could see the chambers and that it had 2 live shells on board.
    Here come the ducks, up goes the gun, and he shoots and misses. But the gun only fires once, not twice. Hmm I say. Let me take a look. So he opens her up, hands it back, I fiddle with it, and say what the heck, I'll reload it for you.
    He takes the gun, admiring it all the while. Here come the ducks, right on the deck. Up goes the gun. BANG! But only one shot, and he misses again. Perplexed, he looks at me and I ask what is the matter. Well, it only shot once he says. So I ask how it felt. Great! No recoil at all. Very soft shooting. So I take the gun back, empty it, fiddle with it, and reload.
    I keep the gun, here come the ducks, and I shoot a double w/ 2 shots. I look at him and start laughing. He looks dumbfounded. So I hand him a shell that he had been shooting. On the side it said, "Popper Load". The man was shooting blanks and didn't even know it.
    Took me all weekend to set that up. We all still laugh about that.

I heard one this weekend about a USF&W CO (young guy )was going to give this hunter a citation for no plug in his shot gun. The kicker here. It was a over under.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    I heard one this weekend about a USF&W CO (young guy )was going to give this hunter a citation for no plug in his shot gun. The kicker here. It was a over under.
    Now that's TFF!