Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: best way into the alphabet hills

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    15

    Default best way into the alphabet hills

    is the swede lake trail the only trail that will get me into the alphabet hills?

  2. #2
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by central8-23 View Post
    is the swede lake trail the only trail that will get me into the alphabet hills?
    only takes time and gas to find out
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  3. #3

    Default

    That was a helpful answer. central8-23 good luck and hopefully someone can help you out on here, lots of knowledge but sometimes not alot of help. Good luck/=.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Where is your final destination. Several ways in depending on where and mode of transport

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I've looked on Google a bit and was interested in trying to get back in there as part of a group. If your seriously interested to get back in there this year... you might want to send 323 a PM.

  6. #6
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    I thought it was helpful.

    Off season is the best time to research rather than asking a bunch of moose hunters the best way to an area so they can hunt moose a week into the season. No different than asking the best way to hunt a sought after any bull tag 45 minutes from Anchorage 8 days after the area opens.

    Have to expect that people get kinda tight lipped as they are heading out the door. Can't say I blame them with all the pressure these days. I stopped by a friends house the other day to drop off some tools. Hes been home a week or so from his hunt. 2 nice moose and a caribou, my interest stopped at what unit. He's got an area that he hunts regularly - with success, and I'm obliged to leave him to it. Not that I can't hunt where he hunts, it's public land out there and I have every right.

    I'd rather find my own piece of heaven in the woods and leave everyone else to there's. Success is often where you find it, not where everyone else leads you.

    Just my opinion.

    But to answer the question, there's many online maps that will show trails into the hills. 323 has been out there but I believe he's loaded up and already out the door to hunt. Some of the trails out there are pretty nasty and demanding. Ask him sometime how he knows.

  7. #7
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    The best way into the Alphabets is to fly in.

    With as much pressure as that place has seen in the past few years there is no way I would ever tell anyone how to get in there. I have given up going in there but I still don't want to see the moose population decimated anymore than it has been and the trails and surrounding land made anymore of a mess.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I thought it was helpful.

    Off season is the best time to research rather than asking a bunch of moose hunters the best way to an area so they can hunt moose a week into the season. No different than asking the best way to hunt a sought after any bull tag 45 minutes from Anchorage 8 days after the area opens.

    Have to expect that people get kinda tight lipped as they are heading out the door. Can't say I blame them with all the pressure these days. I stopped by a friends house the other day to drop off some tools. Hes been home a week or so from his hunt. 2 nice moose and a caribou, my interest stopped at what unit. He's got an area that he hunts regularly - with success, and I'm obliged to leave him to it. Not that I can't hunt where he hunts, it's public land out there and I have every right.

    I'd rather find my own piece of heaven in the woods and leave everyone else to there's. Success is often where you find it, not where everyone else leads you.

    Just my opinion.

    But to answer the question, there's many online maps that will show trails into the hills. 323 has been out there but I believe he's loaded up and already out the door to hunt. Some of the trails out there are pretty nasty and demanding. Ask him sometime how he knows.
    Nice post. I suspect the OP is partially responding to a recent post by a member that involved flying into the hills with photos of the caribou walking in a line. But then, perhaps they have one of those moose permits and are finally planning their hunt. If it were me, I would've run out that way a couple times in the ATV, and seriously think about flying over the area so as to find a potential travel route, camping spot, and hunting location.

    People hunt differently. One group I hunt with smokes cigars, sleeps in, and can't get going unless they've had breakfast and coffee. Another group, gets up before daylight, gets dressed and tucks a few granola bars in their pockets and then come back to camp around lunch. For me, starting the day at the trailhead with group #2 is extremely frustrating, but put them in the back country ... so that I can at least glass from camp out of sight of the trailhead port-a-potty. Both strategies have worked, as how many times do we hear about the lone hunter at camp that tags out. Reminds me of fishing. We've fished next to people and had no luck; and we've had others fish next to us and they've had no luck.

    After busting brush, doing intel on a few places ... I understand that people have been hunting these places for many years well before me. Like you ... I don't mind the hunting tales ... and probably like to know the general area people go so as to avoid their territory. Personally, I like seeing a few people ... so that we can tie secret messages to their ATV's in the event we need help from the local ATV dealership.

    As for tight lipped ... probably more like you mention that they are probably just unavailable for comment. Getting extra special hunting places with hunting tips this late in the game is probably akin to trying to get bailed out of jail on a holiday with the family/friends in Cancun.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    15

    Default

    thanks for the input. I do realize that people do get tight lipped during hunting season. I just was reading a post that said the swede lake trail is impassable because of a beaver dam. also Google maps dosent have good maps of the area. (nothing detailed). But thank u for the quick responses.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Nice post. I suspect the OP is partially responding to a recent post by a member that involved flying into the hills with photos of the caribou walking in a line. But then, perhaps they have one of those moose permits and are finally planning their hunt. If it were me, I would've run out that way a couple times in the ATV, and seriously think about flying over the area so as to find a potential travel route, camping spot, and hunting location.

    People hunt differently. One group I hunt with smokes cigars, sleeps in, and can't get going unless they've had breakfast and coffee. Another group, gets up before daylight, gets dressed and tucks a few granola bars in their pockets and then come back to camp around lunch. For me, starting the day at the trailhead with group #2 is extremely frustrating, but put them in the back country ... so that I can at least glass from camp out of sight of the trailhead port-a-potty. Both strategies have worked, as how many times do we hear about the lone hunter at camp that tags out. Reminds me of fishing. We've fished next to people and had no luck; and we've had others fish next to us and they've had no luck.

    After busting brush, doing intel on a few places ... I understand that people have been hunting these places for many years well before me. Like you ... I don't mind the hunting tales ... and probably like to know the general area people go so as to avoid their territory. Personally, I like seeing a few people ... so that we can tie secret messages to their ATV's in the event we need help from the local ATV dealership.

    As for tight lipped ... probably more like you mention that they are probably just unavailable for comment. Getting extra special hunting places with hunting tips this late in the game is probably akin to trying to get bailed out of jail on a holiday with the family/friends in Cancun.
    I already have my moose for the year. I have my unit 13 caribou tag still open so wanted to hunt a different area. I read a post on here that said the swede lake trail is impassiable due too a beaver dam.

  11. #11
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by central8-23 View Post
    I just was reading a post that said the swede lake trail is impassable because of a beaver dam. also Google maps dosent have good maps of the area. (nothing detailed). But thank u for the quick responses.
    Are you sure you are looking in the correct location on Google Earth? That is one of the most detailed trails on Google Earth.

    A beaver **** blocking it, yeah not in this lifetime considering the route it takes has nothing that a beaver could **** up besides a river which would only last till the first buggy or track rig got to it.

  12. #12
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default best way into the alphabet hills

    That's a hell of a trail to hit first time on a moose hunt!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    There have been several ATV's past the southern TLAD boundary.

    There are a few beaver dams... and things can get sloppy with the rain. It really depends more on your machine(s) and how you ride. Many ATV's seem to call it quits near the Gulkana (probably more to due with starting late in the morning, and thoughts that the river could come up with the rains).

    PS: FWIW - We haven't seen many caribou ourselves. On the Tier opening weekend, we stayed over one night and were able to fill a couple of tags.

  14. #14
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    That's a hell of a trail to hit first time on a moose hunt!
    I don't know what you are talking about, that trail is like a 4 lane highway, even has reflective post on each side to keep you between the lines.

    And you and your 150 new buddies are all on it so if anything breaks down you will have all sorts of help.

    Please take a box of large black Hefty trash bags with you and pick up everyone's trash on your way in and back out. That will leave less for me to police up when I get back in there. I love the considerate slobs that take the time to place their cans and bottles on the tree branches, sure saves my back from me having to constantly bed over to pick them up off the pavement.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Girdwood
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I don't know what you are talking about, that trail is like a 4 lane highway, even has reflective post on each side to keep you between the lines.

    And you and your 150 new buddies are all on it so if anything breaks down you will have all sorts of help.

    Please take a box of large black Hefty trash bags with you and pick up everyone's trash on your way in and back out. That will leave less for me to police up when I get back in there. I love the considerate slobs that take the time to place their cans and bottles on the tree branches, sure saves my back from me having to constantly bed over to pick them up off the pavement.
    4 lanes? I think the construction crews have been busy... as one stretch is more than a 6 lane divided highway (or 4 lanes with frontage roads) ... and gotta love the round-a-bouts on both sides of the Gulkana.

  16. #16
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    4 lanes? I think the construction crews have been busy. I'm sure one stretch is more than a 6 lane divided highway... and gotta love the round-a-bouts on both sides of the Gulkana.
    The round-a-bouts only work when people don't setup camp in the middle of them. Since BLM was nice enough to grade a ramp into the Gulkana there is now no need to worry about the river rising when it rains.

  17. #17
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I love the considerate slobs that take the time to place their cans and bottles on the tree branches, sure saves my back from me having to constantly bed over to pick them up off the pavement.
    Those are the reflective posts. Please put them back next time your in there!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  18. #18
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by central8-23 View Post
    I already have my moose for the year. I have my unit 13 caribou tag still open so wanted to hunt a different area.
    In which unit did you get your moose?

  19. #19
    Member Mkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    748

    Default

    The Swede Lake trail will be the start of your journey/quest. Better have 2 good machines, spare parts. You should give your wench a girl's name and promise her something nice, as you will be married pretty quick. There is a mudhole past the Gulkana about a mile in that will be loads of fun. The good thing is that you will have hundreds of friends. Hunted last year for 8 days with a bull permit and saw nothing legal, but did see lots and lots of hunters whizz by our camp in an almost hourly basis.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

  20. #20
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Those are the reflective posts. Please put them back next time your in there!!
    Sorry about that I will get them back out there in Nov, hope that helps you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •