Thread: 45 Colt Laods

Default 45 Colt Laods

Ok, Just picked up a S&W model 25-5 and am looking for a good bear load, Although I am not going to hunt with I will carry it with me fishing.

Thanks Jeff

Nice gun, but the s&W 25-5 is not compatible with any "bear loads". The cylinder over the chamber is very thin, especially over the locking notch. Any high pressure load that approximates Buffalo bore or cor-bon, etc, runs a high risk of bulging the chamber over the locking notch and permanently damaging the gun. My load for my 25's, and I own 3 of them, is 7gr of Accurate No5 with a 255 lead SWC. Pleasant and accurate. Do not run "hot" loads through your 45 cal S&W. It will be a short lived experience.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I agree with gunbugs 100%.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default from the real revolver expert..

Ruger fans like to put down your S&W .45, but read what John Linbaugh said before you get discouraged:

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Odds are you will never shoot your 25-5 enough to show any wear and tear, but if you do simply call S&W and they will fix it for free including shipping both ways.

If you don't feel comfortable with your powerful, light, easy to carry 25-5 go ahead and get a .500 S&W! it may not stop the bear either, but a least you know you have the most powerful affordable handgun available.

Enjoy your S&W 25-5. It is a fine, high quality revolver you can be proud to own. A 25-5 is one of the next guns I'll own, I'm just looking on a deal on one.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet396 View Post
    Ok, Just picked up a S&W model 25-5 and am looking for a good bear load, Although I am not going to hunt with I will carry it with me fishing.

Thanks Jeff
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yep he state 32,000psi for Ruger and you can shoot them in the S&W but it wears out quicker
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Worn out?

In looking at thousands of handgun over the past 50 years or so I've only seen a very few that were worn at all from shooting and even those were repairable - they were worn but not even close to being "worn out".

I reality very, very few shooters will ever shoot any handgun enough to experience any significant wear at all. And, in the case of a S&W at least, they will fix it for free anyway. They even set the barrel back on my 629 and re-worked the face and throat and put in a new crane- all at no charge.

The issue of "wearing out" a quality handgun just isn't really an issue to be concerned with anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Yep he state 32,000psi for Ruger and you can shoot them in the S&W but it wears out quicker
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Check out Handloader 246, April-May 2007. page 14. 20k psi loads for the 270SAA cast bullet (RCBS mold) suitable for many thousand rounds in a S&W 25. HS-6, VV-N350, 2400, Titegroup, Unique, I have loaded a bunch of these.

You need the whole article for context. 280 grains at 900-1100 fps is plenty stout for a lot of critter.

Default "plenty stout"

Thanks for the reference - I'll have to look it up. Sounds like a good article.

As Limbaugh pointed out, the S&W 25-5 is powerful enough to handle anything you are likely to come across in a self-protection situation. John trusted his life with his 25-5 - that says a lot to me since he carried it instead of one of his more powerful creations. He also found it was quite effective in a hunting situation.

I'm still looking for a 25-5 myself. I bought a very nice 25-2 but the cylinder throats in the 25-2 are too loose from what I hear. But near new in the wooden case for $450 I just couldn't pass it up. S&W gets around $200 or so for a new 25-5 cylinder and crane- I could go that route but the gun has a longer target barrel - I'd rather get a lighter mountain gun.

I think the main thing to remember is: just because it isn't as strong as a Redhawk doesn't mean the 25-5 isn't sufficent for the task!

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    Check out Handloader 246, April-May 2007. page 14. 20k psi loads for the 270SAA cast bullet (RCBS mold) suitable for many thousand rounds in a S&W 25. HS-6, VV-N350, 2400, Titegroup, Unique, I have loaded a bunch of these.

You need the whole article for context. 280 grains at 900-1100 fps is plenty stout for a lot of critter.

Stevelyn posted this link in the "other" .45 Colt handloading thread that got bumped recently. It worked for me previously, I printed it while I had it open back then. From thsi desk I can't open URLs that end with .pdf, I think click on "view partieal issue" then select the pages you want to print...

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazin....cfm?magid=151

Linebaugh's writings are (some of them anyway) collected on this page, all worthy of the attention of a .45 Colt owner I think:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings.htm