Thread: AK airlines and Dry Ice

Default AK airlines and Dry Ice

Their website says:

"packaging must allow for the release of carbondioxide"

Does anyone know what this means? I would think almost any contair I take would alow this (luggage, duffel bag, cooler with drain open?). Or do they mean something specially designed for this?

Give them a call, they'll be able to tell you what that means. They are used to transporting hunters and fishermen, so they will understand your questions.

It means that you do what they tell you when you get there.
    I flew out of Houston last year with dry ice and TSA, not Alaska Air, told me that I needed to have 2 sources of ventalation. I had to punch 2 holes in my cooler lid with a screw driver. The other 2 times that I flew with dry ice, nobody said anything. I normally don't use the stuff. You mileage may vary.
    If you are very lucky in life, you will have one dog.

Right on Milo! Everyone always tells me to call airine, that gives me the true rules (sometimes!). The problem is at check in person has their own idea what is required argue = piss them off and things go downhill - fast!

Thanks I am looking for the "real world" recent experiance so I can try to outguess them (wish me luck!)

8 miles down kgb

Why the dry ice ? Fish boxes will stay frozen close to 2 days . Only taking up more fish/meat room .Some airlines will bump your boxes if there are animals on board if you have dry ice in your boxes it can kill them in the hold

I agree, WHY DRY ICE?? If you are traveling with it and it is frozen, it will certainly last for your duration of the trip. I have never used dry ice.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

My son was traveling with meat and TSA tried to impose their interpertation of the airline's rules IRT ice. The airline has the last word on what can be transported and how it is packaged on their aircraft. In our case, we called a airline supervisor over who agreed with us (we had their instructions from their website printed out) and even then the TSA agent (who had called his supervisor over) would not admit his error. I totally appreciate the job and understand the challenges TSA has with their job, when it does not pose a risk to passengers or flight, the airline does have the last word. Know the airline's rules, have a copy of them and stick to your guns (so to speak).

Quote Originally Posted by Take_'em View Post
    Know the airline's rules, have a copy of them and stick to your guns (so to speak).
    Yes, it helps.

But, the airline also reserves the right to interpret their own rules however they want, on the fly, arbitrarily. So, still be prepared with a Plan B regardless.
    Fly fishing makes me herl