Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka rifles

Default Tikka rifles

Tell me about them good or bad .Heard some good things about them never shot one

Accurate, smooth, good trigger and great value. Folks whine about the plastic parts but they go toward making a lite gun. I have 3 and may be inclined to get another.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

The only things you will hear people say negative about them is the plastic magazine, plastic bolt shroud, and plastic trigger guard but I have yet to hear of these parts breaking. I take that back I heard of a bolt shroud breaking.

The only thing I have heard that was legit was the factory scope rings fail on some rifles for whatever reason. Due to this some people buy new rings from the get go and others chance it and never have an issue.

Search the forum. There are several discussions on the issues that broncoformudv mentioned. I would buy another.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Love my Tikka and will be looking for another soon. I rolled my polaris ranger onto mine couple weeks ago and none of the plastic broke. The metal safety tang is bent and not sure on the barrel yet but the plastic held up like a champ with pretty much all of the weight of the machine, camp and a caribou on it.

I own one, it's one of the most accurate rifles I have. They are really smooth as well. The only complaint I have about them is that it's darn near impossible to find extra magazines for them locally. The only I have found to get them is straight from beretta's website.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I got a 30-06 T-3 lite and it is great and a real shoot sub moa for me

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I own one, it's one of the most accurate rifles I have. They are really smooth as well. The only complaint I have about them is that it's darn near impossible to find extra magazines for them locally. The only I have found to get them is straight from beretta's website.
    Check out midwayUSA and Brownells, I seen them on one of those sites

Excellent rifle for the cash outlay. Well designed- not a fan of the rings, but they work most of the time.

Bolt is smooth, trigger is decent and most of them shoot sub MOA out of the box. I bet Tikka spends have the cost on the barrel, which is a good place to spend money in a rifle.... Anyway, a very nice hunting rifle. It won't appeal to everyone, particularly most rifle geeks. I am a self admitted rifle geek but i love the T3 anyway.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've worked with a bunch of them and they are an excellant rifle AND a great bargain - I guess the bolt shroud has broken on some, you can buy a custom aluminum one at eBay but I'll defy anyone to "destroy" one of those magazines, tough as nails and can be found in droves on gunbroker.com, I've purchased 8 for my .308 Tikka from that site, some used - Brings up another Tikka question though, I bought a stainless with fluted barrel from Cabela's and now they have none and the Beretta website doesn't mention them nor will they answer inquiries - Sportsman's Warehouse had some in various random chamberings (I worked with a 7mm Rem Magnum for a friend) but it's now the same story with them - my .308 and that 7mm RM were noticeably lighter and very accurate with multiple loads, nicely done rifles for just a bit more than the normal SS Tikka T3

Back Country,

You purchased a Super Lite Tikka T3. These were made fo Sporties and Cabela's only. They are a little lighter than the standard T3 Lite and were only chambered in a few calibers. The biggest difference (if not the only) is the flutted barrel. I don't know if there is plans for another run or not, as well if additional calibers are going to be used. I would love to buy one in 270wsm but they don't make it in the Super Lite yet, Just the 270win right now. My buddy picked one up in 270win and it is a tack driver! Go with the Limbsaver pad though as those little rifles pack a punch with the factory butt pad. Believe me I was suprised by it, and I have a 338wm and a 416! The Limbsaver make a world of difference!

I looks to me from Tikka's website that some of the 2013 models are available with a flutted barrel. This could be a sign of things to come. As fast as this limited production run got scarfed up it would not surprise me if Tikka didn't put the Super Lite into full production next year. Until then I will just hve to wait.

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

One other downside of the Tikkas is that lately they have been starting to creep up in price. I suspect they are becoming more popular. Still a great buy.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

JC - I too would love a 270 WSM in that model - I wasn't all that excited with the camo stock on my .308 so I painted it - It surely is a tack driver though and the fluted barrel seems to have removed that little bit of weight off in the right place to improve the balance noticeably

I bought the super light in 30-06 and the limbsaver should be standard equipment. That rifle will leave you whinning for a bit with the stock pad. The rifle feels great and shoots great.

Sounds like it s all good the plastic parts arent a problem now its just 30-06 or 7mag

I loved my Tikka 695 6.5x55....until my plastic bold shroud broke ;just broke and the rifle did not work .Looking for a steel replacment bolt shroud I found one in Australia of all places .No more problem

Whats the name of that place you found it at and a link if theres one

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlander View Post
    I loved my Tikka 695 6.5x55....until my plastic bold shroud broke ;just broke and the rifle did not work .Looking for a steel replacment bolt shroud I found one in Australia of all places .No more problem
    Mind if I ask, how did that happen?
    was it dropped or smacked somehow,....or did it break in normal procedure ?

As to the Original Post,...I had a T-3 Lite in .243 for a while (recently stolen unfortunately)
    and found it to be a fantastic shooting machine

super smooth action, really comparable to the top of the line, in that category
    and also was such an extremely well bedded and finely cut barrel, right out of the box I was blown away,

for the price, and even quite a bit more, Those are excellent value in firearms,

haven't had any problem losing my magazine, didn't spend any time looking for a spare
    I used the original scope rings, (tho I agree, they seem cheaply made)
    I figured any heavy recoil trouble would not be an issue for .243,
    and was correct for over the 780 rounds I had fired before I lost it to some lucky dawg of a thief.

I had heard of someone else having trouble with the Stainless finish on theirs, susceptible to rust ?
    but mine held up well, despite being used and stored near a saltwater environment (actually living on a boat) for the year and a half I owned it
    Seriously maintained tho, was as good as new after quite a bit of "Out of the gunsafe" time

I'm a Total Believer, planning to buy another asap

Will be interested in Nordlanders story on breaking the bolt shroud, might be an easy upgrade that is worth doing
    Seems I saw one online somewhere, found through these forums a while back,....
    one of the main business',...Brownells, or somebody like that
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlander View Post
    My T-3 Lite is stainless with a synthetic stock, and not the prettist girl at the dance. My shroud broke as well, however my rifle still functioned and fired perfectly just looked funny with a knob out the back of the bolt. Berreta carries replacement shrouds and as said they are available in aluminum from an Aussie firm (sold on Ebay);about the same price. Mine in 30-06 both shoots and functions well, they have a 1:11 twist standard on 30 caliber and I have shot some Rem. 200 grn RN bullets in mine; noticed increased recoil and about 1" groups, as I usually shoot 165's into 3/4". The first modification was a limbsaver recoil pad, there is a bolt on replacement. I will buy another T-3 when I figure out what caliber I want.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Have had my .300 wsm since 05 and have treated it like crap over and over and still performs. I think it is the best rifle you can buy for the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast