Thread: Sprint Mini II tripod vs Cullmann Nano 220 vs Vortex High Country

Default Sprint Mini II tripod vs Cullmann Nano 220 vs Vortex High Country

Looking for a light weight tripod under 2lbs and would appreciate any input on these or any other suggestions! Thanks

Default Sprint Mini II tripod vs Cullmann Nano 220 vs Vortex High Country

I would like to try the velbon ultra maxi that Alaska_Lanche raves about at some point. I have a cullmann 200 and it works fine for me since I nearly always sit to use spotters. My cullmann seems a little delicate but packs super small. I have been dragging it along on day trips and no issues there but I am hesitant to trust it for a fly out. The ball head is a little weak as well but seems to support my 65mm scope ok so far.

I also have a vortex HC and it has been solid. The knob for the ball head fell off and vortex mailed me a replacement knob for free with no proof of purchase requirement once again showing that they have first class customer service. The Vortex tripod has been solid so far for me. There are certainly better ones out there but I doubt that there are any better at the same price point.

The nice thing about the vortex HC and Cullmann is they are cheap enough I tend not to worry about them bouncing around in the box on the quad rack or behind the truck seat.

Thanks LuJon, so would you buy the Vortex HC over the Cullmann 200 or the other way around? Do you know which model of the velbon Alaska_Lanche uses, maybe the Maxi M? I have heard lots of good about the Slik Sprint mini but have not held one and do not know anyone who has one. I too am almost always sitting and use a angled scope so I do not need much height. I would not mind spending a little more to get a higher quality tripod but I do not want the weight... Thanks again for yor input.

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    Thanks LuJon, so would you buy the Vortex HC over the Cullmann 200 or the other way around? Do you know which model of the velbon Alaska_Lanche uses, maybe the Maxi M? I have heard lots of good about the Slik Sprint mini but have not held one and do not know anyone who has one. I too am almost always sitting and use a angled scope so I do not need much height. I would not mind spending a little more to get a higher quality tripod but I do not want the weight... Thanks again for yor input.
    I believe you are right, I think he uses the Maxi M model

Thanks I guess you would know!

I use a Slik sprint mini and really like it. It has a good range of adjustment so I can get it high enough to glass comfortably and also can be configured down so your scope is only a few inches off the ground. I used it while in the prone position once to count rings on a sheep that was bedded 100 yards below me, I'm no tripod expert but that kind of versatility is great.

Thanks CGS25, i seriously considered the Velbon but decided to go with Slik based on weight and not having to buy a ball head. Everyone I have talked that has i said great things about them. Ordered one from amazon for $76.95 w free shipping. Thanks again. Greg