Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEY GUYS! Trailer Safety Time!!!!!!!!!!

Default HEY GUYS! Trailer Safety Time!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, first off just a few minutes ago on the New Seward Highway northbound approaching Dimond as I got up to speed from the O'mally on ramp was a four place trailer with 3 four wheelers. I didn't have time to get my cell to take a pic, plus his license plate was high and very visible, don't want to call the guy out publically, unless he owns up to it here by chance.
    I see this often enough, and have seen the aftermath, so figure after just seeing what I saw I would post before I eat dinner and forget about. He had the wheelers tied off from the cargo racks, WRONG! The rear wheeler had already had one strap hanging loose from rear right corner. Which gives the wheeler way to much play and free range to bounce of the trailer!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes I have seen that happen, coming home from Fairbanks years back near Willow I believe. The guy lost atleast one if not both off the trailer and down the steep bank! Also have seen a boat trailer pop off the hitch and violently swing the rear end of the truck from yellow line to white line, so we pass him while towing my boat at the time. The chains were not crossed and therefore giving to much play in the chains, plus when slowed down, the trailer will nose dive into the pavement or gravel road.
    Plus I have seen a snowmachine appear outa nowhere on the west bound lane on Northern Lights Blvd a few years ago. Luckily it rolled up onto the yard of MPFC just off Lake Otis. New enough machine from skidoo to where the key was micro chipped or whatever and nobody could steal it, sweet looking hill machine!

So..............................

Ratchet strap to wheeler frame or whatever, but not to where you compress the suspension!

Cross your chains!

Make sure your fuel cans are secured!

Make sure your snowmachine cowlings are secured!-----Another story, seen two new machines leaving the Wasilla yamaha store once, machines were on trailer backwards for some reason, they just get down the road approaching McDonalds, wham! Yup, cowling flew up and hyper extended and were broke and maybe windshields too!

Sorry, but find these cases very FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, not calling anyone out and saying I am right, but..............I know I am! So guys, be safe, use your brain, and go harvest some critters!!

, for sure. Great reminder - I know I could share similar stories, even had a ball pop off many years ago myself. Be safe and thanks for the reminder.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    ...He had the wheelers tied off from the cargo racks, WRONG!...
    lol thats just too funny, the cargo racks seriously??

Don't forget to check tire pressures and make sure the spare is gtg.

Watched a yamaha grizzly fly off a trailer around a sharp bend on the glenn hwy a few years ago. That guy was having a bad day to say the least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    All too often this is seen or happens around Alaska. Some of my own friends have done this and had their rigs come off the trailer.

Another one is if you put the atv in the bed of your pickup truck stick something non compressible like a mounted tire or chunk of thick wood between the front of the atv and the bed of your truck so the atv does not hit the back window of your nice pickup truck. Yes those ratchet straps you are using to secure your atv stretch when you put the brakes on and it will go forward if you don't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Another one is if you put the atv in the bed of your pickup truck stick something non compressible like a mounted tire or chunk of thick wood between the front of the atv and the bed of your truck so the atv does not hit the back window of your nice pickup truck. Yes those ratchet straps you are using to secure your atv stretch when you put the brakes on and it will go forward if you don't do this.
    That was pretty funny watching our bud bust his brand new rear window out. Think he had it for all about 72 hours, when that wheeler went through it again...

All too often this is seen or happens around Alaska. Some of my own friends have done this and had their rigs come off the trailer.
    I should be good with just emergency brake set?

Good point bronco, lol I took my cousins honda foreman down to Homer for him from desert air last thanksgiving and only used the ratchet straps on the back...though I do have a sweet bed box/auxiliary fuel tank back there

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Yes I am serious and I see it almost daily! I point them out all the time to whoever is riding with me, wether in my work truck or other vehicle traveling to work or play! Today though, when I seen his was off the trailer and dangleing from the rear rack, I honked many times and pointed backwards towards his trailer. From what I could tell as he exited he just waved back. Hopefully he stopped at the gas station there and noticed while filling up. I have found more rare to see a rig or rigs tied off properly than not! Not good odds! From here on out, wether they think I am a stuck up know it all or not, I am gonna talk to whoever whereever whenever possible! Or just buy me a trailer and follow these people and take me home wheelers and snow machines! Personally, tired of seeing this non sense! Gonna get someone killed and block traffic for hours when I trying to get to my hunting spot!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    That was pretty funny watching our bud bust his brand new rear window out. Think he had it for all about 72 hours, when that wheeler went through it again...
    Common sense ain't to common any more! I know of a guy who bought a nice newer house if not brand new. His wife let the tub over flow! Get a remodel. Two weeks later she done it again! Nothing like paying for it three times!!

What is also interesting is to see four wheelers with ONLY ONE strap for two machines. Guess that I am a little over board in the I generally have four straps per machine. I also have a set up that goes over the rear tires, so I am securing the tires to the deck. No bouncce that why.
    While we are talking about trailer, when was the last time that you all checked out the wheel bearings and bushings for those that have them? We had a person in our shop a while back that was having an issue with his boat trailer. I asked when he last chan ged out the bushings on the suspension? Comes to find out that he had never looked at them, but when he did he found that all of the suspension bushings and bolts were shot.
    I would rather work on my trailer in a nice warm/dry shop then on the side of the road.

Also people should be checking their trailer tires periodically for dry rot/flat spots, I have seen many trailer tires that I know I would not be towing with the condition the tires were in.

And you wonder why your insurance premiums are so high! I see the aftermath of all these types of excursions and others all day long. Don't even get me started on the stunts I've seen pulled after they get em off the trailer. Best part about it is I get paid to inspect the carnage!

Thanks to all!

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Don't forget about the people that use the winch on their atv to secure it to the trailer.

The boats being towed around with no stern straps.

Don't forget about the people that use the winch on their atv to secure it to the trailer.

The boats being towed around with no stern straps.
    Whats wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Whats wrong with that?

Winches aren't meant to act at a tie down point. Steady drum pressure is one thing, but when the vehicle is jarring over frost heaves and beating the **** out of the drum, you can break your winch. I've seen guys use their winch to tie down their rangers next thing you know premature winch failure.

Also seen the drum jam and the pawl break inside.

Not worth it especially when you rely on your winch to get home!!

Used to use just ratchet straps to tie down the wheelers. I bought some wheel nets for them and it is sssooooooo much better. There is no bounce and no compression that I need to worry about. I've only found them locally in 1 store. Approx $130 for a set of 4 (2 front and 2 back). PM me if you want the store name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    I bought some wheel nets for them and it is sssooooooo much better. There is no bounce and no compression that I need to worry about. I've only found them locally in 1 store. Approx $130 for a set of 4 (2 front and 2 back). PM me if you want the store name.
    Speaking of Wheel Nets, I may have a set in the garage if anyone is interested in checking them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast