Thread: Anyone have a water level report for the 40 mile?

Default Anyone have a water level report for the 40 mile?

Been out commercial fishing all Summer.. just getting home.

I'd call Forty Mile Air or another transporter that flies the area. Many rivers are experiencing high water / flood levels due to rains, however info from guys in the field says it's supposed to be taming down. I don't think I'd be worrying about any "lack" of water at this point.

Fingers crossed for good weather next week!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I'd call Forty Mile Air or another transporter that flies the area. Many rivers are experiencing high water / flood levels due to rains, however info from guys in the field says it's supposed to be taming down. I don't think I'd be worrying about any "lack" of water at this point.

Fingers crossed for good weather next week!
    Yea, I called Vanessa last week, and was surprised she really was not in tune with water levels(too early to get too concerned I guess)..

Was hoping a caribou hunter would chime ... someone that is just back from driving aund in the area..

good weather would sure be nice..

good luck this year. My Son and I just got our butts kicked running the boat from the sound back to Sitka(spent three days in Yakatat.. way interesting area)..
    so ready for some more tame weather..

good luck this season

Here are some websites to get water levels for the fortymile river

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/

Anchor

Heard the same thing TWB. Water is high but is supposed to be slowing down a bit. I'm sure it is all dependent on weather for the next week or so. Good luck and will see you on the water! P.S. felt the same thing when I spoke with Vanessa at 40mile, but as you said, it was was early....

Default Anyone have a water level report for the 40 mile?

Weather 10-day forecasts have changed daily from a positive sunny outlook to rain and 50% chance of snow for the next 10 days.

Yeehaw!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Weather 10-day forecasts have changed daily from a positive sunny outlook to rain and 50% chance of snow for the next 10 days.

Yeehaw!!

hmmmm... another wet year.

if you guys are talking about the fortymile river, it ain't high water...it's low as it's been in two years. Groups are scrambling to get plan B activated.

good luck, and plan to drag.

larry

Larry

do you know this from experience or did you get a report. got me scrambling now. looking at the chart, 1,250 cfs seemed rasonable and according to 40 mile, sounded like it was high. can you provide more on this? have you had to drag on the fortymile before? last year my wife and i dragged for 4 days on the Iveshak when we were dropped at the top and it was a bit rough. I did not take Michael's advice to have a plan B. we are planning the bridge to bridge hunt. any advice and/or information is greatly appreciated.

TGJ

I floated the 40 mile this summer. I did it a 30000cfps it was very high. That being said, the upper protion of the river still got skinny. We did not have to drag but at 20000cfps we would have. The lower portion is a bigger deeper river but a less than 2000cfps dragging is going to happen.

I will be there as I have no other real options. I will be in a 14ft orange raft. good luck if you go.

TGJ, experience and pilot reports. Our groups have been dropped off by now, and all of them were shocked at the low water. One group needed wheels instead of a raft!

Depends on the section of the Fortymile you're headed, but the area hasn;t had any rain since late July, and 40-mile air has repositioned many groups who couldn;t float the dry section of river.

But, we float the tributaries of the Fortymile, not the mainstem forks. If you're going to the mainstem channels, will likely be low but doable.

Not like the dragging threats on the Ivishak at low stage though.

larry

YUP, VERY, VERY low! Listen to what Larry has to say!

Thanks Larry!! Just got back and like you said, doable but slow going. The hunt was successful and weather was great. Only had one day of nasty wind. Saw lots of critters and met some very nice folks up that way. Cant wait to try the river again. We did the falls with our weighted down raft on the last day and enjoyed the entire experience.

TGJ

Just got back yesterday. WOw the river was LOW! I met TGJ and told him the falls was no problem as I floated it in the summer and the rapid was totally avoidable. I was worng at the low water level we had. it was portage or run it. Sorry TGJ. Great area but unlike TGJ saw only one caribou bull and one Black bear. We did take the bear and he taste great. Gives a whloe new meaning to man eating bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    if you guys are talking about the fortymile river, it ain't high water...it's low as it's been in two years. Groups are scrambling to get plan B activated.

good luck, and plan to drag.

larry

Extreme low was the call..

Some said as low as it has been in a lot of years.

Anyone else have fun with the sweeper just before the south fork take out?. My son and I were in canoes, I got past it.. he was not so lucky, and flipped.. then the group right behind us had a guy yanked out of his raft..

A little late, as everyone is pretty much out.. but that was a tricky corner.