THE QUINTESSENTIAL PAIR - HUNTING PREFECTION
    by Mike Price

PRICE'S CORNER
    http://ammoguide.com/?article=pricescorner/120901
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'll take the .308 with its heavier bullets or do even more with the 30-06.JMHOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

308 and 30-06 are great cartridges.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Me I would of chose a 700 adl or sps in the 7-08 for this write up a lot of folks can't afford or want that nosler rifle, also would of used r-p brass as well. When I read articles I like to read about stuff I can go to the store today and get and get it at a affordable price as well. But good article if you want a nosler rifle...

Glad you liked the article if someone wanted a Nosler and I also agree with your points if one does not. Thanks
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

But I forgot to say I agree 100% on the 7-08. My wife has one along with a 308, 7-08 in a ruger the 308 in a 700. 308 w/150 ttsx thumps on her, the 7-08 with 154 Hornady she can shoot all day. So me I would take 7-08 over the 308 for kids and ladies all day long!

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    so me i would take 7-08 over the 308 for kids and ladies all day long!
    ladies, kids and me
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What load recipes are you getting 2850 fps out of a 140 grain and 22 inch barrel? I have tried Varget, RL15 and 17 and can't get there from here. I am at about 2700 using max book loads.

It has a 24" barrel and I am using W760
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nothing wrong with the Nosler, but you could get a Tikka Lite SS and a whole bunch of ammo for $2K that will do everything the Nosler will do. Yes, the Tikka is just a factory gun, but then so is the Nosler...nothing really custom about it...just a few nice features.

Nothing wrong with the 7/08 (I have one rifle and one pistol) either but a Tikka in .260 Rem or .358 Win. would be a great addition to their caliber line. The 7/08 and the .,260 would be pretty much personal pref but the .260 does give a little better BC for long range work. The 7/08 is pretty close to the 7x57 and the .260 is pretty close to the 6.5x55 so they both follow very successful 100 year old rounds.

The .358 on the other hand, gives a big boost to the .308 derived rounds, at least under 300 yds. When you get right down to it...all of the .308 spinoffs are great rounds and all have their place but for an all around cartridge in the lower 48 I'll take a .260 and for AK, the .358...IMHO.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Yes it is a matter of opinion, but the Nosler is a custom and more than just a few nice things added and the Tikka is over rated, of course that is my opinion since I own a Tikka and able to compare both in accuracy and build. Tikka for the money is ok but certainly not a favorite of mine. I would choose the 7mm08 for the lower 48 and my 8mm Rem Mag or 375Wby for Ak, of course as you said it is personal preference.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    It has a 24" barrel and I am using W760
    OK, thanks. I may try some W760. Good article and agree the 7-08 is a pretty good cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes it is a matter of opinion, but the Nosler is a custom and more than just a few nice things added and the Tikka is over rated, of course that is my opinion since I own a Tikka and able to compare both in accuracy and build. Tikka for the money is ok but certainly not a favorite of mine. I would choose the 7mm08 for the lower 48 and my 8mm Rem Mag or 375Wby for Ak, of course as you said it is personal preference.
    My fault...I was talking about only rounds that came from the .308 case. For AK you have made good choices.

Guess it depends upon what you call "custom" but to me anything that is made on a production line is a factory model. A custom is a one of a kind made to the client's specifications and you won't find another exactly like it. The Nosler is a fine quality gun but they are all the same unless someone pays for changes along the way...not really different than a Remington, Ruger or any other assembly line gun...just better quality...at least that's how I see it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Guess it depends upon what you call "custom" but to me anything that is made on a production line is a factory model. A custom is a one of a kind made to the client's specifications and you won't find another exactly like it. The Nosler is a fine quality gun but they are all the same unless someone pays for changes along the way...not really different than a Remington, Ruger or any other assembly line gun...just better quality...at least that's how I see it.
    I gotta agree with this. The Nosler is a Howa action with a chrome moly barrel that has been Cerakoted and slapped into a B&C stock. That seems a long way from "custom" and even further away from their asking price. IMO, if they could be had for around $1000 then they'd be a decent value, but still not a custom. Obviously, YMMV......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

seems to me that a Kimber Montana is a whole lot better deal as a "custom" than a Nosler 48 ..... but after all the dust settles and the words fade away the Tikka T3 is arguably one of the best deals, for the money, to be had out there - "if" I were gonna throw my dollars down for a "custom" rifle then exactly "how much" becomes a matter of perceived value for the spender's buck and NULA comes to mind rather quickly (but I'll still choose the Tikka, I think) "Nosler" on the barrel doesn't matter spit if a Tikka will outshoot it either .... and a .30 bore is very difficult to beat in theory AND performance

A Tikka won't out shoot the M48, there are many claims by many folks, but I have use them both and in experience the M48 is more accurate. Mine maintains a 1/4" and just a tad less over 10 five shoot groups and I have yet to see a Tikka do that. This will be an endless debate as those who never owned both and did exhaustive load work for both rifles will continue to propagate their theories and that is all it is theory. So, in light of this fact I will let this thread stand as is and continue to hold my experienced and empirical view of the M48. Some always look for and argument and most who do have never had real hands on experience with the very thing they are arguing. Thanks for the responses, hope everyone has a great hunting season this fall.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Aw shucks, don't throw in the towel yet.

My point was not that the Tikka is better than the Nosler, only for a hunting gun the Tikka is certainly adequate and much cheaper. In my opinion, a 2 MOA rifle (let's say 8" at 400 yds) is all we need for 95% of our hunting needs. Yes a 1 MOA would be better but anything better than that is just wasted accuracy that isn't really needed in the vast majority of field situations. The target range is a whole different animal.

Today, we have a significant number of off the shelf rifles that will do 1 MOA or better and most are under $800....some a lot cheaper. I'm not running down Nosler, just saying they are grossly overpriced, but if you have the money and that's what you want they are available for you.

I build AR's for fun and profit and the first thing I ask folks is what they want to do with the rifle...most say just go to the range or shoots some beer cans and I don't try to sell them a Kreiger or Shilen Super Match barrel. But, if the fellow wants it, I'll certainly build a rifle with whatever he wants. I just rechambered a .243 to AI for a fellow that wants to shoot goundhogs at 600 yds and he needs a 1/2 MOA rifle but his Ruger 77 was shooting 1.5 MOA before the rechamber job. I told him it wouldn't get better with the AI but he wanted it anyway. He'll be back for a new barrel pretty soon but he got what he wanted for now.

I would love and AR in .358Win just for the fun of it and of course I would like for it to shoot good, but I think that would be a blast indeed. What a hog gun in the swamps when those hogs break and run after the first shot is fired. Yep, that would be cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Armalite can do an AR 10 in .338 Fed for you for about the same price of a Nosler. A little heavy to haul around the mountains but it will sure do a job on the herds o hogs down in the swamps.

WHOA !! I guess we are all "put in our place" aren't we now .......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast