Thread: Bats in the Belfry!

Default Bats in the Belfry!

Guys, this is a plea for help. A Hail Mary pass, if you will? It's T minus 40 hours before my wife and I leave the sweltering swamp that is Ft. Lauderdale, and head up to God's country. I've done tons of forum reading, poured over guide and charter services, and Google Earthed my eyes out. I am no closer to a plan of attack than I was the day we left Anchorage last year. My head is spinning with ideas, and I'm really looking for some suggestions as to what some of you would do given our allotted time up there.
    We fly in on the 1st, and fly out on the 17th. We're looking to get into all types of fishing: Fly for trout, fly/spin for grayling, silvers on fly/spin in fresh or salt, charters for 'buts/lingcod/salmon. The loop I have in mind is up the Parks for a few days, then across over to Valdez. Fast ferry from Valdez to Whittier, and fish the KP from Quartz creek, the Russian, The Kenai, down to Homer, and back to Anchorage.
    Seems simple enough, but I don't have any local last minute info such as river heights, closures, moose attacks, etc., that might steer me toward or away from a particular spot.
    Please (please) throw some ideas my way. I really appreciate and value your responses. P.M. me if you wish. I'll be going over my gear for the thousandth time.

Quartz is usually done by the end of the first week of September.
    Russian and Kenai will be fishy though.

Russian River CG is closed to tents and soft sided campers until the 15th due to bruin issues.

River Levels: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow

If you have an Iphone, get the app called "fishhead". It gives instantaneous river levels for a lot of rivers, nationwide. I constantly monitor Willow, Montana, Upper Kenai, Mid Kenai, Talkeetna, etc, etc.

See. That's what I'm talking about guys! Danner, I've got a dumbphone, and no apps. How have the rivers been up there the past few days, and how much 'bow wrecking re you up to? Drifter, thanks. Had no idea about the Quartz. We stayed at the campground last year. There was a fast little stream that dumped into the Quartz there. I heard that that's a fishy little stream. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Firefisher check your PM's. I fished up north Sunday night as the heavy rains were setting in and caught a dozen big bellied bows two were over 20", in just 3 hours.

I've fished Quartz a few times but have always been too late for the good fishing.
    The reds are usually gone by this time so the trout and dollys head bacy to the lake and into the Kenai.

The "fishy little stream" that dumps into Quartz is Crecsent Creek. It runs out of Crescent Lake, about 6-7 miles upstream. Crescent Lake is the KP's hot spot for grayling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Crescent Lake is the KP's hot spot for grayling.
    Also known as a good little workout to get too.

Thanks Gary and Drifter. Is Crescent lake a day hike? I spoke with another member about the short trail vs the long trail, and it sounds like the long trail may be easier than the short. I'm wondering what to bring, ie, a full pack of food and water vs a couple of granola bars for an afternoon stroll through the woods? Sounds like maybe a portable yurt, some MRE's and signal flares. Do either of you have any experience down toward Homer on the Anchor, or that area?

I've fished the Anchor quite a bit.
    It should have some silvers and dollies in it right now.
    Most of my fising has been from the bridge down to the mouth but I have fished it quite a ways upstream with success.

The Crescent Lake Trail is accessed from the end of Quartz Creek Road (continue past the creek and the Crescent Ck Campground). There is a small parking lot there and the trail is just across the road from it. I understand that lots of people use mountian bikes to go to the lake. Hiking isn't too bad, but may be a mess if we've had much rain.

Just remember that silvers are closed upriver from the North & South Fork confluence upstream from the bridge.

Thanks you all. Headed up tomorrow. I hope to put some of these puzzle pieces together and report back to you with reports of tight lines. Stay safe out there.

Default Bats in the Belfry!

My opinion for homer if you want to charter would be muttleycrew. Amazing charter service of he even has openings. If not there's a lot of good charter options there. One of my favorite fishin spots is down Cohoe Dr just past kasilof towards homer. Go to the end of the road and fish by the first green buoy. You will nail halibut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

How deep of water are the buts?